Turrets should consume resources

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Aurora, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

One commander-built turret should consume one resource point every 20 seconds or so. So for example, if a team has 10 turrets, they lose 30 resource points every minute. If the team is out of resources for a short while, all turrets get disabled for at least a minute, until resources suffice again.

The commander should get a warning if the expenses of his turrets are nearly over the team's resource income. Resource income and turret expenses should also be displayed somewhere in the commander's GUI.

This feature would kill turret farming and be a logical restriction to their numbers, better than some magic number limit that you can't surpass. Also, I'm sure the turrets need some resources to be able to constantly spin around and generate endless supplies of ammunition. :p

2. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

you suck (im not sure why yet, give me some time to figure out why you suck)

3. Aurora

Go back into your mom's pussy plz

4. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Reaaaally good discussion here so far

5. Caelo

Caelo Member

OMG great suggestion! :D

6. Aurora

Indeed, and you're only contributing to it.

7. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

Even so, this would not be noticable at all on any platform, so it's not worth implementing.

8. Aurora

What? Not noticable? K, let's say the time is 10 seconds.

9. Slithzerikai

Still hardly noticable in the end. Unless you have, like... One to none resource nerds.

10. Aurora

3 seconds!

Your team has 30 turrets, you lose 30 resource points every 3 seconds. That's 600 resource points in a minute.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  11. Slithzerikai

Trust me, it's not going to stop turret spam.

12. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

Which is why there should be power generators or something, and they can only support a certain ammount of turrets. If you knock down one, you can disable many turrets at once.

13. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

which then would make turrets completely ineffective as taking down the generator will disable all the turrets in its range.

I dno, I still think a limit would work out for the best, single turrets will work without having to biuld a generator for the lousy things, that get taken down by a single grenadier anyway, they need low maintanance and only cost a small initial sum. With the limit it would add strategy to how the commander decides to distribute there limit of turrets, every other idea sounds too restrictive, even if a limit in theory sounds the most restricting, the way it will turn out is that generators restrict you from being able to quickly put up turrets, either for offense or when in danger, (and will require a lot more maintanance to uphold) and when they cost res they will restrict you from being able to do more with your money, like the upkeep in wc3 (lol gay games), way too restrictive if you ask me.
    A turret limit is already in effect, around 25 on the official if i'm correct, even if the limit is a bit too high, nobody seems to notice that often there is any.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  14. Aurora

I don't believe you. All your team's turrets will become USELESS by going offline if you run out of resources, which happens if you build many and make upholding them all so expensive that your resources start decreasing rapidly. How the fuck does that not stop turret spam? Huh? If with 3 seconds there will still be turret spam, then let's shorten the damned time.

I like the generator idea btw.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  15. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

what's wrong with turrets as they stand? i havn't seen any turret farming that I havn't been able to stop.

my only gripe is lev 3's being used offensively, to seige places. and I've only really had that twice (though both times were hell)

16. Caelo

Caelo Member

what else is their to say than I agree?
    restrict the bulding area to areas around buildings (and not buildings+units)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  17. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

this is the first idea from jj45 that i really like

level 3s should take more res

plus you would think it would cost money each rocket or bullet that is shot from these magic turrets

18. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

lev 1's : normal price
    lev 2's : x1.5
    lev 3's : x3

19. Chahk

Chahk Member

Didn't we do this before? I'm all for Sandbag's suggestion, as long as the Commander gets to choose which level turret he can purchase.

20. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

It WOULD be interesting to see how a game works out with this implemented. On another note, what about making it so two commander placed turrets couldn't be X meters close to each other?

But really, with artillery the way it is right now, turret spam is only a sure route to fail.

If I where you, I would bring up this issue/bump this thread when arty gets nerfed. Every game I've seen where the comm turret camps, the enemy team rolls out arties and *whistles* it's lights out after that.

Is there a way to implement this feature on a server, like the BSID test server?

As far as the generator goes, that's WAY too close to NAtural Selection for my comfort, and I think if one of these restrictions is placed on turrets, an additional restriction in the form of a generator is not necessary.