Turret farming

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by cpugeek, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

As was discussed in suggestion threads reason why radar makes 100% sence...

Turrets have minor tracking equipment, like cameras infrared, minor radar...
    So ok, now that you have alot of raw data coming in from all theese uber sensors a turret has now to do this, recognize the target as a... well target... dont want to shoot rocks... second, recognize if its an enemy unit, third, start tracking the target and fire

Thats alot of proccesing power, especialy if you have multiple senors, what the radar does is crunch through the data itself, as well as increase accuracy by sweeping the area with its own sensors and confirming turret data...

Now please explain how that doesnt make sence...

The Idea of a centralized turret controll is the best out there so far... Solves all the problems... Gives more use to more than 1 radar..

2. FalconX

FalconX Developer

Perhaps I should expand again on my idea of a build limit. Turrets can only be build within a certain radius of a comm build structure. This radius is constant. What changes, is the number of turrets that you can build within the radius of each building. In the radar's radius you can build 3 turrets, refineries' radius 1 turret, neither armory nor repair pad gets a turret, and everything else gets 2.

As far as the radar as a turret limity thingy, radars themselves cost too much to make this desirably. I could, however, see a lower cost sensory station functioning the same way. Give it the minimap benefits of the radar, and restrict it to being built only after a radar has been. Just don't call it anything with "turret" in its name. :p

Though I still like the idea of limiting the ammount of turrets that can be built within a single turrets firing area best.

3. jambo

jambo Member

have all lvl's of turrets have the same range as a lvl 1 turret , but a radar will increase all turrets in the area ( including lvl 1 ) to the range of the lvl 3 turrets.

i like the idea of being able to control turrets eather be a command turret or by a radar. i would like to see all turrets in the area of the ( radar or command turret ) being under the control of one person and fireing at the same target , eg. all turrets in the area fire at your crosshairs
    making maximum use of turrets.

pro's - make better use of turrets
    - interesting concept

cons - yet again overpowering the turets
    - a noob or traiter magnet to destroy own buildings

4. Nutcase

Nutcase Member

The radar is a research station and thous sould be renamed, although its computers could control the turrets its computers are to busy doing reseach which is what the station was ment for. Now I personal want to know why it was named and modeled after a radar when it is ment for research. A ture radar detects aircraft, boats, and other stuff. So if u want to use the radar as a turrets control station sure but make sure it does what the name implies. Research station for research, and Radar for detection and turret control not both. Not to sound rude or dis on others ideas

Now as for the tower it is ment to help pervent farming the turrets around the radius. this way if it does happen all it takes is a few good shots on the tower and turrets that arn't being controlled by players can't fire

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  5. jambo

jambo Member

yeah , in my other post , just 2 up
    when i was talking about radar , i was refering to the small radar an engie sets up.

6. Nutcase

Nutcase Member

Those little radars are a good idea for extending the range at which the turrets fires but not for a radius to which turrets can be built. Not enough computer power and to easy to destroy. Also the commander should be able to build those radars.

7. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

After reading the latest posts I've begun to feel that you guys want to make turrets completely useless or even remove them completely. Think what 3 turrets can archieve... nothing. 3 Level 3 turrets, perhaps something if they're MG turrets and there are only two people coming at them on completely flat ground.
    Farming becomes problem only when there's around 20 turrets in one spot. Or at least in the games I've played. You're forgetting that farming in this extent is quite rare. I've played, what, three games where the farms felt indestructible otherwise they've just been another slowdown. Perhaps I've managed to avoid the real farmers, but still a completely fucking up the turrets(making their range extremely short or making them even more powerless) or limiting their amount radically sounds like going in the extremes again...

What I'm for is limiting building turrets into certain radius around buildings. No change in amouts or in power.

8. Nutcase

Nutcase Member

Hmmm I'll just put the idea here. Wall Turrets and gates, keeps out those pesky ninjas and hopefully keep tanks from getting stuck in bases. This will make walls ALOT more important then basic hide behinds. And possible towers were were turrets could be built on and people to shoot from. Also pervent turrets spams with the better wall defence. Because one of the main reason people turret spam is because the walls suck and the only way to keep people from charging in is walling the hole area up or turret spam to keep them away. 'puts helmet on and waits for a reply'

9. FalconX

FalconX Developer

So instead of a turret farm made up of a bunch of different turrets, you have a turret farm made up of a bunch of different turrets and an armory.

Numbers in my idea were completely arbitrary.

The radar is called a radar because it detects vehicles...

10. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

Though, if killing a radar would shut down all surrounding turrets, it would end farming. Of course, defending would be a lot harder.

11. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

My thought was that there's limited space for turrets and you know what happens when you stick them too close to eachother and someone comes along with a nice little mortar... :D

12. Nutcase

Nutcase Member

Thats were the self control idea is for so even if the turrets get turns off a person can still shoot them. this way if your on full defence u stand a better chance of fighting off the enemy with real people shooting the turrets. Now how about those gates and towers.

13. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned, but what about camera/radar that the engineer uses that has to give targeting data to the turrets, it seems to me they are magic atm. Also, ammo would have to be replenished.

Secondly, furthering the factory idea, (never played NS, so i dont know if this is what you mean) a factory that creates turrets and you have to carry it yourselft to the position. The Radar/cameras would work the same way

Turret Upgrade info

Ranges would increase
    Max Ammo would increase

You could then have certain 'Customisable' turrets, you would have 2 frames - ML and MG (later AA) and you could upgrade your to be turret with rockets avalible when rockets for tanks are researched. Including warmup times etc

Commanders could select up to 5 different types of customised turret.

Just an idea, seems good to me but i know ill have opposition.

No Nuke Turrets

14. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

The NS turret factory makes the turrets work. As in they're online when they're within certain radius of the turretfactory, if the turret factory gets destroyed the turrets go offline. And commander can only build within certain radius of turret factories. I think it's a good system for NS, which has aliens as the other team and tight corridors as maps, but I don't think it's very well suited for Empires style of play...

15. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

the only problem I've ever had is offensive turret farming, where comms spam turrets around a base to destroy the base. I'm all for turrets destroying CV's, destroying players, destroying tanks, destroying refineries. it's just base buildings that i find really annoying when they are destroyed in this way.

16. Edgewise

Edgewise Member

I think turrets are fine. Lvl 3 turrets = 6 seconds or so of shooting for grenadier to kill. Yes they can be annoying, but with the right strategy, all classes but scouts can destroy at least 1 turret with a stop at an armory or ammo box after spawn. Never mind a engineer... one can solo kill an unlimeted number of turrets that are not defended. Yes it may take a bit of time, but it's not hard. And when you start using arty tanks.... Try going on a server with no players and build some turrets just to practice attacking. The low visibility maps can make turrets a real pain in the ass, but even so you can sneak in on them or get over or under them, etc. If it's an MG turret, get in a jeep for crap sake.

17. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Still say that the turrets need some sort of a controll centre, that if destroyed weakens the turrets or disables them all together

18. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

control center nearby?
    NO because:
    -people just attack that, and very quickly you have opened up an entire hole in the defence
    ----which would make turrets pretty rubbish
    ----and make multiple turrets useless, because destroying the turret center would shut them all down
    --------------which would destroy the idea of having a well defended area instead of a light one.

Player controlled turrets
    NO: because
    -the players will be required to use every turret
    which = about 3 teammates per side on each front you want to defend

let's put that into perspective:
    on duststorm, your team controls the middle and the ruins and is defending it's base.
    = 3 + 3 + 3 + (1 commander)
    = ten players already, on this team alone required to make sure the team will not be ninja'd, refinaries destroyed and CV destroyed.
    and 9 less players having fun on the battle field.

and this is just on "duststorm", don't get me started on emp_isle.

because they'd either be waiting in the turret, which is VERY boring,
    or they wouldn't be in it all the time, in which case people are going to find holes in the defence which would mean that all the other mindless turret people are useless.

19. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

If the turrets are going to get ammo, I want to see them get about as much Health as a barracks, and do as much damage as a nuke, mind, I'm a Grenadier at heart telling you this. If you people suck at taking out the weak turrets we currently have, it's not the turret's fault, you need to learn how to handle a grenade, rocket launcher or mortar, because I can take out 20 turrets per time I get killed easily.

20. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

a grenadier cannot take down turrets as fast as them being built, next to that they can stop 7 of them shooting at your barracks, and an mg keeping you far away from them, or better yet, locking you in a corner where you will always be in range of the mg turret and will never ever have enough time to take em out.

Its nice to know you can take out 20 turrets from a nice camping point scattered around the map, but fact is when they are all standing next to each other, 20 meters from your base and are level3, not even 4 tanks could take em out, how are you so certain you could?

even building an arty wouldnt do much good since it would be killed instantly.

Altho this could be easily prevented, it could be exploited a lot more easily (not exploited in a bannable way). Infact as I have said like 5 times, you can build like i dno 48 lev3 mg turrets instead of one heavy tank, isnt that proof enough how effective turretspamming is?

I dont see you playing much slithzerikai and I definitly dont remember you being a major part in winning a game, so im just guessing that you wouldnt know how destructive a good timed and placed turretspam could be vs less lame strategies and how good a stationary and cheap solution it is vs teamwork

edit: again im not saying they cant be taken down easily, what im saying is that its way too easy to turretspam and use them effectively in a regular game

Last edited: Jul 4, 2006