"trigger_hurt" for vehicles?

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by kill3rtomato, Mar 26, 2008.

1. kill3rtomato

kill3rtomato Member

So, for my map, it would be great if I could use some kind of entity that kills vehicles, much like "trigger_hurt" kills players. I did test and obviously, trigger_hurt doesn't seem to hurt vehicles. And I really don't want to use water as that would kinda defeat the whole purpose of the map (in an odd way)

So is there any entity which does this (that is NOT water)?

2. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Just use trigger hurt. It will still hurt players inside vehicles, your health bar is there and harmable via things like that. emp_vehicletraining_rc4 is proof of it as well. Go inside the enemies 'force field' thingy and even in a vehicle your player health drops slowly to 0, resulting in death.

3. kill3rtomato

kill3rtomato Member

Well, I know that works but I would still like it if there was a way to kill the vehicle itself, since the place where I want this is at the bottom of the map (The map is 'floating') :/

I guess that will have to do though :<

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Have the trigger filtered for vehicles, they all have a classname, although I don't know what it is, solokiller does though.

You'll need a different one for the CV.

5. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Chris just made me realize, are any steps being taken to ensure that commanders cannot possibly enter the death area? It would be a major map flaw from a griefing standpoint.

6. kill3rtomato

kill3rtomato Member

Ok, I guess I'll "wait" for solo..

Another thing (I don't see the need to make another thread), what are the names for the skyboxes? I can't get it right.. and I'm probably missing something, but I can't the the skybox textures to work. I know that I have to put the 'name' in map properties, but I don't know what the names are.. help?

7. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

Go into the texture browser, search for "sky" you will find all/most of the sky's available, find one you like, take the texture name, remove the last two letters (up,dn,lf,rt,ft, or bk) and that is the name of the sky you want.

8. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

IIRC, my "emp_tankwar" map had trigger_hurt entities that would kill infantry and vehicles. All I had to do was tick the "Physics Objects" flag.

9. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

The vehicles are all of class emp_vehicle, combine the filter with a filter_activator_team to avoid killing the wrong team if it's just for spawn protection.

10. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

any chance of a wiki entry somewhere for classes (not wishing to repeat my earlier post or two on the theme) - I would do it myself but emp_vehicle is the only one I know at the moment (and thats because you said it).

I think there is another for commanders from a different thread you mentioned things in? I'd really like to know if theres one for shells/missiles and what effect a trigger hurt on them would have if any.

11. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

The commander classnames are the same as found in the entity list. Shells and missiles don't have a class name as far as i know.

12. kill3rtomato

kill3rtomato Member

Alright thanks.. I'll try that :D

13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yeah, that's a shame, because you'd think they would, and I've tried to make a point defence turret in hammer before, and I couldn't think of how to get it to shoot missiles.

14. Demented

Demented Member

...A teleport trigger that sends CVs somewhere in the map?

Admittedly, it would be amusing if the enemy seizes your base, then your commander makes a mistake and ends up teleported into the middle of their new base, fortified by a level 3 turret cluster.

But it's a start.

15. KILLX

KILLX Banned

That would create issues. If it was a set point, both teams would fight to control it as to not lose their commander via teleport into enemy base. If it was random, theres the issue of a building being at the destination coordinates. Theres also the abuse factor. A commander is about to die, flees into the death zone, gets teleported, while the pursuers die.

16. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

No different from water, really. Although you might want to avoid making it too easy for the comm to accidently fall / get pushed in from anyplace they'd logically be expected to go (a precaution you'd take with water, too.)