this that make this patch unfun

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by FN198, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I think you should read up on "BSP Trees" before replying. The engine hasn't survived for more than a decade, in fact it's dieing. Unreal Engine is plenty times more popular for basically anything, and whatever's not Unreal is done on Unity.

2. Sitka

Sitka Member

I think reading the thread is better.
    We're talking about Source (not) lagging, not how empires should be ported to Unreal.

like that ugly-ass lighting on top of the buildings in crossroads.
    fucking noob mapping right there.

(i suck at hammer too but it's an official map for hobbes sake.)

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

"hurr this is shit, durr that is shit - but no i couldnt do it better because im a lazy bum and dont want to invest time in learning. i rather sit back and write smartass comments"

4. Sitka

Sitka Member

Learn what and do what?
    Sometimes its hard to tell who you're aiming at and what you're aiming for. Just saying.

5. flasche

you wont do it, noones gonna do it ...

(and not only because its idiotic to waste resources on stuff only specs see, every frame is sacred)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  6. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Yeah, that describes me perfectly.

7. flasche

gtfo with your self conscious bullshit, i mad ^^

8. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

Just wanted to share my thoughts real quick. Don't want to be a downer or anything, but there is seriously no point in creating or even discussing new maps for emp. The mod's life is hanging by a thin thin thread by this point. Any new maps will not bring back players. In fact at this point, it seems like a complete waste of time creating new content for the mod.

I just finished making my map and only had a few decent matches on it before more people abandoned the game. I started the map in summer of 2011, and haven't picked it up since the beginning of this year. I knew emp would be dead by the time I finished it, but I still kept making it because I made it a personal goal of mine. If people still really want to go through the hell of learning hammer and getting your map to actually work properly, have fun with that. But I think your time is better off spent organizing events or pugs to try to keep the game living.

9. Sitka

Sitka Member

Just because it seems dead now doesn't mean it will always be so.
    It's the attitude of "its dead so i wont bother making content for it" which kills the Empires in the first place.

Maybe, if we're lucky, we will see a revival. But we certainly won't if we don't work for it.

Actually, i'll pick up a project i stopped working on a few months ago.

10. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Theoretically, a revival is very possible, I doubt even 0.5% user of Steam have downloaded this game before.
    This game is not newbie-friendly but we never had a lot of newbies in the first place. Not to mention we actually managed to not kick "some of them" off.
    So..yeah, we'll probably never know.

But I am sure about one thing. Any newbie would most likely just uninstall the game right after they see this(At least I would) : https://www.dropbox.com/s/r5p1djslqk4f6vg/未命名52.png

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  11. ImSpartacus

I used to believe that Empires was stagnant, but it gets new players all the time.

They just leave after half a round.

12. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

When treated like shit in a game... there are only two options:

1) Feel like shit and frustrated, thus uninstalling the game.
    2) VOW VENGEANCE! Thus learning more about the game to beat person at own game.

13. Sitka

Sitka Member

Indeed.
    One should use their anger to their advantage.

Except at warthunder. Fuck that game sometimes seriously.

14. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

Lately its been the opposite. The noobs have been unfriendly to the game. Stealing the cv, trolling the match by building stupid wall forts, and just being an overall cancer to mod. It seems like for every new player, a number of vets are being driven out. This is why steam release killed the mod. That's it, ban every new player. It's the only solution.

15. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I still feel like Empires hit Steam way before it was ready to, but to be honest I'd still think that now.

16. ImSpartacus

If it hadn't been on Steam when it was, would you have to go through the Greenlight process?

17. Sitka

Sitka Member

I thought it went on Steam because of something along the lines of:

It went on steam to attract new players quickly.
    We need to attract new players quickly because we've got almost no devs to work on the mod.
    Once Empires can be developed more rapidly (or at all), more players will come.

18. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Yeah, but to be honest, we're thinking of doing that anyway even though we're already on Steam, it has a few perks that are really worth taking advantage of. Not least the position you get within the Steam store, given the fact we're basically buried within the darkest reach of the Steam store right now.

19. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

The big problem with the steam release was that seasoned players were just not prepared for the huge wave of nubs. Yes, we did have many new players come in very quickly. And that was exactly the problem. It was one shit round after another, no ones listened, cv getting stolen, and just overall a big mess. Training new players one at a time is what has worked in the past. But having so many of them at once is too much for most vets to even try. So many of them got tired of the shit matches and just quit for good. So basically it was going nice and steady until the steam release. Then we had tons of new servers and new players. Then naturally all the newfags gave up and what was left was the small group of survivors. The tsunami of nubs has effectively killed the empires that we once knew. True story.

20. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I remember when I had to use Desura to play empires.