this that make this patch unfun

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by FN198, Jul 22, 2013.

1. FN198

FN198 Member

playing empiresmod these days is about as pleasurable as flossing fungus from between your toes with a coarsely rusted nail.

heres a list of the worst things about this mod.
    • limited vehicle ammunition: the greater duration of nearly every vehicle fight is spent resupplying
    • bio ml: grossly overpowered due to its ability to do its full damage to a target with ease, but uneffective in comparison to the HE cannon. this is at the core of nf be heavy imbalance
    • UML: it's an embarrassingly shitty weapon. long reload, low damage, low splash. HE CN / UML balance is what makes this game work. unfortunately this patch is horrible because the balance between uml and he is terribly out of wack
    • plasma/rails: merge this weapon.
    • physics tree: it's fucked. no one gets reflective, plasma or hmgs
    • fission engine and coolant engine: revert these so coolant doesnt acquire heat while moving and so that fission doesn't acquire heat while stationary. good try, but it sucks. revert it please
    • gas turbine: just fucking remove it and make standard engine not overheat from std weapon use
    • UGL: change to Seismic Grenade Launcher

oh, and disregard what i said about uml. keep uml a bldg killer, but make guided ml travel faster and SUPER effective against tanks.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

there was some discussion about long resupply times before mootant removed ammunition as a whole. i suggested to make repair-pads refill ammo almost instantly, would also give comms more incentive to place them (and grens a reason to rejoice)

3. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Lol, I think fn actually believes in this post. I kinda feel bad for him.

Everyone knows UGL is OP. Everyone knows physics is underpowered.

Most of these suggestions aren't new. We don't need to hear them.

What we need is a dev team that actually plays their game and doesn't claim to gain advice from more vets that don't actually play. What we need is a dev team that doesn't immediately default to crying about their years of experience in a now irrelevant gameplay style. What we need is persuasion, and despite being mostly correct, fn, you aren't persuasive.

4. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

I was honestly thinking this is going to be a shitpost, but you actually make some really good points.

I was thinking the exact same thing about ugl. Its role as a quasi- artillery is needed if the other guys dug in heavily, but right now its a fucking fusion bomb launcher with ridiculous splash that makes 2 apcs lockdown any sort of infantry activity. Its a mary sue of all empires weapons, on par with the he.

Agree on physics. I don't really mind less sniper apcs, but ranged and reflective should be used much more often.

Fusion and coolant- quite hoonestly, I hate how they are now. Coolant has been reduced to being an arty engine. Fusion on the other hand is another "go this if you do not want to fail" engine. Im having some serious questions about the new research after i get labeled as a troll for researching regen on duststorm.

Bio ML - after UGL my biggest pickle of the current metagame. Fuck this bio damage shit. This along with ugl shuts down any sort of gren defence. Just do away with the fucking infantry bio damage and change it to Acid/Corrosive/Nobody cares about names in this game missle, that does most of its damage on contact and only little DoT.

Also, spartacus, the problem here is that weapons scripts of both varieties and more are hogged by certain individuals because the are apparently 3deep6us.

5. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Now you see the difference between "learning the gameplay through script/code" and "learning the gameplay through playing it"

6. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Given that FN, unlike Sitka, decided to lay things out neatly, I'll try to reply to each point.

7. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

What we really need is for Trickster to fix his SVN install, otherwise there will be no update. So we must patiently wait for that to get settled. Don't worry guys, surely he will get it working.

[​IMG]

8. FN198

FN198 Member

@imspartacus,
    this game is shit right now, that ought to be persuasion enough. ask any vet who plays.

this shit is take it or leave it, the game's pretty much already dead but if these changes were made im sure it would do better.

9. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

The way things are dota 2 would need to die first.

10. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I would say that UGL should have it's clip sizes cut and number of clips should stay the same. The issue with UGL, in my opinion, is its high sustainable burst damage with a fairly large radius. Cutting the radius thought would make it gimp as fuck, but reducing the ammo makes it more reliant on team members, which I believe is more appropriate for a weapon of its caliber.

I've never even really considered APC's to be an offensive weapon to the extent that they are. Machine guns actually work well in the role that they're given; they're not supposed to be a primary weapon, they're supposed to be a support weapon. Same with grenade launchers, they seem more like a support weapon than a primary weapon, something that an APC should lob from behind a wall near the back rather than bull rushing the enemy lines with 3-phase compo, tearing buildings and infantry to tiny, gory pieces.

I feel like ammo amounts could be tweaked a bit, for example Salvo ML's burn through ammo for almost no advantage over UML, while it seems like MG's never run out of ammo, although it sounds appropriate that MG's should never conceivably run out of ammo if they're tuned to play a support role.

Bio ML conflicts me because it's not an anti-tank weapon, it's an anti-infantry weapon, and it beats the shit out of any infantry. It will almost always be considerably better to have Bio MG over ML because the Bio effect feels more like a support attack and less of a primary attack.

I actually like gas turbine. It's a balanced engine, and that itself is a powerful trait. It's right there in mechanical, putting it in a tree that is guaranteed to be opened sooner or later, and with the proper team, the time saved in getting heavies a minute earlier can really pay off. On that note, I don't see what's so good about 3-phase. I feel like with the lack of fission, people go for 3-phase because there's a large gap between it and the third fastest engine, a gap that is normally filled with fission. But I find it hard to handle, hard to drive, cools too slowly, stalls on damage, the list goes on. Early game, it's great and all. Mid-game, it's okay. Late game though? Unequivocal shit. There's no point having all the firepower of a heavy tank if it can't unleash it due to an engine that can't cool fast enough. Perhaps I really am just the worst tank driver in Empires and my opinion on engines is invalid, but that's my personal experience.

I would advocate for a slight buff for UML in the interim, because there's honestly a problem with it. Now, it isn't nearly as bad as some people make it out to be, a skilled NF tank driver can be a good match for a skilled BE tank driver. But there's definitely a slight disadvantage between BE and NF mediums, and it becomes more pronounced when both sides have heavies.

11. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

You could make UGL more support-like by changing it into a mobile Rifleman nadespammer - cutting down on building damage severely. I think it would still be viable to get on one or two APCs to boost the pushforce, but it would deny the current pub-stomping and base-wiping that is the main issue.

12. ImSpartacus

Yes, all the players that actually play would definitely know that the game is shit, but we have a dev team that doesn't play and instead consults more players that don't play. This creates a massive "but-it-would-be-good-in-a-scrim" circle jerk.

So while almost all of your suggestions are obvious to me, they aren't obvious to someone like trickster. In lieu of actually playing, people like that need other means of persuasion.

13. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I think you'll find that the current (only) coder actually plays more than either yourself or FN.

14. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Fixed.

The time you spent on this game has a lot to do with the quality of your suggestion.

15. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

:rolleyes: despite that statement being true, he became the "only" coder just the other day so the fact is kind of ridiculous to bring up. These issues were around way before he got access to the code.

16. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

I hope you are shitposting son.

Since when was grenade spam a good thing?

The problem with ugl is its safety to use combined with retarded anti infantry capability. While i agree that performance of one against whole bases is OP as well, its nothing compared to being able to gib whole spawns.

Quite honestly Candles, nerfing its radius would not be as disatrous. Compare its radius to radius of normal gl. Also, another point that was sort of skipped: I think going with UGL should have the same setbacks as going with dumg was in 2.2. You didnt have tanks. Right now with research taking nothing, UGL is
    1) right next to the most researched thing ever, ergo easy to grab and setup yourself to get he later on.
    2) really fast to reseach, whereas i think it should give the tank advantage to the other team to compensate.

Possible solutions:

1) standart increase of time to get
    2) final solution of putting it as far the fuck away from he as possible, for all I care, put it in plasma or electrical. Noone cares about weapons names.

Im fine with UGL being (but not as much as currently) powerful, but it should have some goddamn setbacks.

17. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

We need a "everyone suck candles dick" general thread.

I will create one on Wednesday assuming my internet comes back.

18. ImSpartacus

Don't feed me that bullshit. Candles has been in the dev team for weeks, but many of these issues are much older.

19. FN198

FN198 Member

i have played more hours than candles. i can also say that currently i play as much as candles. the latter, of course, is pending on how the issues i brought up here are responded to.

20. ImSpartacus

This isn't a dick measuring contest. You're both active and that's all that matters.