The Squad Screen

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by knighttemplar, Jul 11, 2006.

1. FalconX

FalconX Developer

Let me rephrase my question: Auto squads... why?

There are already plans to encourage people in a squad to fight together, which, as far as I can tell, is the only reason most of you are calling for "auto squads" in the first place. These are two completely seperate issues.

1)
    As has been said numerous times, radius based bonuses are planned. These will grant certain bonuses to squad members fighting together. If you are not working with your squad, and so are running off to wherever, you will not get the bonus. The current free skill system gives any incentive to be in a squad while other things are being worked on. So, bonuses to teamwork are already planned.

2)
    Now the second issue, automatic squad creation, a (in my humble opinion) horrible idea. It turns what should be organization of the chain of command into a system of anarchy. Instead of defining squads for certain reasons (say, a support squad), it randomly groups players together. And whoever gets to the button first gets to be the leader. Where does the commander fit into all of this? "Squad 3, I want you to... oh, ok, no more squad 3 uhh... damn..." There's no consistency.

Furthermore, in even a semi-organized game over a large area you do attack from multiple directions. Furthermore, why would you attack as seperate squads, when you could be organized with consistent coordination within one? The answer to that question is tactical, and should be left up to the player. Furthermore, assaulting from multiple directions is only one example of when a squad would split.

Auto squadding just has too many holes to be justifiable.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2006
  2. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

erm... good point. 1 was all i was looking for really, and as it's planned.... cool :)

i lumped them together because that's the current system really.

3. HungryGuy

HungryGuy Member

Ok, but if two squads are close, they get auto platooned(?).. still seperate squads but give each outher bonuses. like the soft squad idea.