The Ship - New Screenshots Released.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by palehorse864, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Jn.

Jn. Member

Naaaaa it's got commas :)

2. Artemas Ward

Artemas Ward Member

Commas do not end a sentence though,

3. Jn.

Jn. Member

But they add a rest where it's needed, and if his sentence had none, it would have been a true run on.

4. Artemas Ward

Artemas Ward Member

Well, yes. But his sentence was still a run on, even if it were merely partial.

5. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

Suck or not, I'm not shelling out money just to buy a game that has no player base--I guess it may have people playing it, but I'm CERTAINLY not going to pre-order it. Once I A. find a site that tells me who is playing what on source and B. find out that the game has quite a few players THEN we'll see if it's worth buying. Like I said before, I can't even find an active server for the HL1 version, and for my money, I expect a fairly sizeable multiplayer fan base for a multiplayer game. At least enough to run a game whenever I want to. (Singleplayer campaign aside)

I know there are sites that say what servers are playing what game, anyone have any links?

6. Jkun

Jkun Ban Hammer Manor Ruler

There've been something over a hundred (admitted) preorders based on forum users alone, so it's looking pretty good. Once the game goes gold (tommorrow), we'll know for sure. I'll also take some screenshots of how many servers're up and running.

Since this isn't really an official title, I'm not sure if the Steam website will track how many players are online at any given time.

Edit: While the HL1 mod staggered, there is a fanbase for the Source edition.

7. Jn.

Jn. Member

I don't think Id buy it. It looks pretty interesting though.

8. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

I lost track of the topic, we're still talking about that ship?

9. Ganks

Ganks Banned

All HL2 -pay2play- mods should have assassins hired to kill the children and wife of the developer who makes them.

Honestly.. Selling a mod?!
    Next youll tell me that there is still a market for 2d RPGs made on a liscenced RPG Maker... ROFL!!!!! Got to be fuggin' kiddin me... mods... HAHAHAHAHA

10. Slithzerikai

Too late!

www.spiderwebsoftware.com <- Makes shareware oldschool RPGs, you have to pay to get the full version unlocked.

11. Jkun

Jkun Ban Hammer Manor Ruler

You realize that The Ship is a standalone game, not a mod, right?

12. Slithzerikai

No, at least I didn't.

13. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

That's been said... what three times already. :) Just like Vampire Bloodlines is a stand-alone game using Source so is this.

14. Darg

Darg Member

There isn't any real difference between a game that licenses the source engine for their game and a mod that uses the source engine too. One can charge for their game and one can't. Apart from that there's no difference apart from the teams abilities.

15. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Yeah, and what's the deal with musicians trying to make people pay for music they create? Any musician who doesn't follow the age old method of standing on a street corner and accepting money in their instrument's case should be shot. People trying to make money off of something they like doing? It should be outlawed.

16. Jn.

Jn. Member

Good point :) I'm a musician, and getting paid to do that's nice, but only for dirt cheap(5-10 bucks). I live in northern VA and the washington DC punk scene has inspired me to no end. Creating your own record label, not binding bands to contracts, doing what you love because you love it. I am all for charging money for what you love doing, as long as your love for doing it is more powerful than a want for money. You have to make money to continue what you do, but you don't have to charge obscene amounts of money to do so. Selling products cheap also brings a wider audience to what you do since people won't be scared away by the price tag. Of course, nothing draws more people than the product being free, but if that's the only thing you do to make money, you have to charge something.

17. Chahk

Chahk Member

CS:S and DOD:S count too then, right?

That's a very ignorant way to compare the two. Although you could compare the quality of work between a stand-alone game and a mod, the difference between them is huge.

First, the game that licenses the Source engine doesn't need HL2 in order to work. The fact that it's also distributed via Steam is irrelevant. A Mod is just that - a modification that uses not only the engine, but also the game's assets (models, sounds, etc.) and therefore needs the full version of HL2.

Second, you have to pay a hefty fee in order to license the Source engine for commercial purposes. I highly doubt that a volunteer mod team would be able to afford Valve's prices. Therefore a game making company licensing the Source engine would want to sell their product and not give it away for free. On the other hand, you are not allowed to charge for your mod since you are reusing other people's work without paying for it.

And finally... When you buy a stand-alone game you also buy the privilege to bitch and moan when stuff doesn't work, whereas in a Mod the developers are volunteering their own free time to make the games for us to enjoy. Therefore the mod's players need to watch their attitudes when posting rants on the forums.

18. Darg

Darg Member

I was actually hoping most of the people here would know that much themselves. I meant the actual mod itself can be as good if not better then retail games that license the engine. Take Insurgency for example. As good if not better then CS:S and yet it is free. One is a mod and one is a pay 2 play. Do you get where I'm coming from?

19. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Yes, mods can be better than retail products. However, comparing a mod that is not even released yet to a game that was included for no extra charge with another retail product is probably not the best argument you could make.

20. Darg

Darg Member

Well.. you know what.. poo. I have to get up in 5 hours. Someone who knows what I'm talking about make up a better argument for me.