The Phantom Gear

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BigTeef, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

He did.

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Only thing i can think of is planetside 2 forever ago, and i think he added disclaimers etc to straughten that out.

The gog partnership has him play some games on stream for them but they are clearly labeled as sponsored. If it's a review, there were no deals made for it to happen.

As far as I know, at least. And I follow him quite a bit.

3. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

His entire 'career' is about critiquing things and having autism over FOV sliders.

4. Z100000M

Not a terrible thing in itself
    Eh from what ive seen its not that bad. Alot of console ports and some pc only games are missing options that shouldve been there. As an owner of a 16:10 monitor i know. If the options can be set in ini or config files but are not in the menu, its just developer laziness and i have no issue with people calling it out.

5. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

This thread is top lel. Damn Teef, special report lol. Good shit, Koji-san has always been dedicated, and I'm glad to see this one getting done right, even if I've never played a second of MGS in my life.

6. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I never watched a jim video, and from the GG fiasco he doesn't seem to be anything special he throw fits on twitter and talks about shit he doesn't know what hes talking about.

But why do people refuse to acknowledge honesty these days?

Name one time Joe and biscuit accepted shit from a company, gave biased reviews, or intimidated and shamed people from conversations.

Where the professionals who went to school for journalism the people who are apart of company's and website chains and cover video games did, insert bullshit politics, gave biased coverage, gave biased scores, refused responsibility, and dog piled people on twitter, and just straight up lie for a living.
    Yes hes autistic about fov sliders, one of the easiest things to put in a first person shooter.
    Everyone has their quirks, he just happens to advertise it.

Now for something on topic.
    Here kojimas final trailer
    [youtube]A9JV0EvCkMI[/youtube]

This is probably him saying goodbye to metal gear.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  7. D.D.D. Destroyer

Can't speak for Jim, but the Slaughtering Grounds thing where the devs started a flame war against him was pretty funny.

8. BigTeef

9. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Great thread.
    When I first saw some of the early game play footage I wasn't that impressed. But I'm back on the hype train now.

10. BigTeef

Gamescon sold me.

I thought it was just an open world metal gear game at first, then it was when they said they were taking peace walker base mechanics and expanding on it.
    I like the whole building an army thing, with each soldier having rpg esq stats. Then the customization of it and how it actually serves a purpose than some management screen it was on peacewalker.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  11. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

I'm a long time fan of the series & skipped out on Ground Zeroes when it released, so I ended up pre-ordering the PC version for the free GZ & one thing I noticed is that Ground Zeroes plays more like the first Crysis minus the nanosuit rather than an MGS game. Though that mostly just meant that my first playthrough was mostly spent looking through the binoculars and going at glacial pace, while subsequent playthroughs were mostly spent running around & dragging Koreans Americans off to unknown parts of the map never to be seen again.

I'd recommend them, they have nice blend of seriousness & goofiness you don't really see alot in games.
    [​IMG]

I'd suggest you play them in release order if you intend on ever getting into the series. Though you can start at MGS1 if you don't want to play the original Metal Gear games from the late 80s.

12. Z100000M

Some of the rules of enemies spotting you are kinda crappy. I found it hard to judge the distance at which enemies spot you and at which they get insta alerted.

Another weird thing is if i remember, if you got spotted by a single dude in previous MGS but got rid of him before he could call stuff in you didnt have to deal with alarm. Maybe these marines have mind merging nanomachines..

Got in a really bizzare situation. Despite being prone behind a set of boxes, i was constantly being seen by a tower sentry. This somehow meant that people like 50 meters away from the dude came to investigate instead.

Corners are really wonky. Sometimes you can end up unsticked despite not wanting to or unable to move the camera to the side so youre actually pretty blind.

Also why the the fuck cant you throw nades over cover without standing up? You can do this if aiming on your side of the cover but not the other. Really limits the utility of nades in my book.

Throwing smoke under your feet when the enemies are investingating nets hilarious results.

Shooting people in the legs and then kicking them in the head is just as effective as putting them to sleep with a tranq.

2 primary slots but only one pistol slot? KOOJIIMMAAAAA

13. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

How come the videos remind me of Just cause 2 perspective wise?

14. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Same here, I absolutely thought that it was entirely open world roaming without that much structure. It also seemed really fucking easy in the game play video I saw.

I've a huge throbbing nerd boner for customisation and stats in any game.
    In Gran Turismo I spent hours and hours and hours tuning & testing my cars. Instead of just whacking a stage 3 turbo on them.
    In Armored Core I played through like 4 times just so I could get one particular cannon.

The idea of motherbase is right up my street & the multiplayer aspect sounds really innovative and fun.

I may have to dust off the PS3 and replay MGS4 to warm up.

15. Z100000M

Dont you mean rewatch

16. BigTeef

[YOUTUBE]Hdiod3qCKEg[/YOUTUBE]

The more you know

17. D.D.D. Destroyer

So I heard the physical copy might as well be empty, how big is the download?

18. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

[​IMG]

Angry just informed me that I'm an idiot for buying this blindly with no prior MGS knowledge.

19. D.D.D. Destroyer

I played Saints Row and it had a sneaking in a box type of mission. I'm ready.

20. Z100000M

Its pretty good but the prologue is fucking bizzare and kinda sucks.