The Official 1.08 "Guess that feature" competition!

Discussion in 'General' started by Bodrick, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

Funny, first thing I tried was change the 6s to 1s. It has nothing to do with rows or beats (whatever the hell that means)

2. Silk

Silk Mapper

Same here.
    Gonna get some sleep now, i'll just have to wait for bodrick to explain it in a few days.

3. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

I removed all the 6's and broke it into octets hours ago, found nothing. That was the first thing I did.

I see patterns, but I don't quite see how they work....

4. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

beats as in sound or rythem. Thought the mike may have been a hint tords that but its way to short...

But ok thanks for the help forget the backround only pay atteniton to the mike. thats something I guess.

5. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

i'm with you on that

6. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

Hint time maybe?

Nah, no hint. the devs can see this thread too!

7. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

Um... echoing the sentiments of Sandbag and Dubee, I (normally clueless as to technology as it is, let alone in this bastardized and obfuscating form) am totally confused. I figured out the whole image thing/WinRar thing, but as to the password.... have you guys cracked it? Is it some combination of words, like chair-mike or mic-rhythm? (examples, and dead wrong, I'm sure.) Does the 9 stands for puzzle #9? The text file is just to fuck with us, right? Combining the picture and the numbers into a password will be the second step, right? Or does the 9 mean the password has 9 characters? Then the extracted file has MORE wierd stuff in it, right? My head hurts...

This is the sixth puzzle, right? So at least I know what the six stands for? Maybe?
    And I can ignore all the chairs in the background. Only the mic matters, according to Awrethian.

Edit:
    I figured it out! The answer is that Bodrick is an evil genius bent on world domination who will achieve his goal by spreading chaos and hatred/frustration throughout the universe... one internet forum at a time! Someone fetch me a gun, I'm traveling to England to stop this menace here and now.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  8. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

That is the password... now figure out what that is.

9. Onea

Onea Member

Pffft, thinking is for losers. Brute force all the way! 160,000 passwords processed and counting...

10. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

wow way to go:rolleyes:

Well I knew that but what I cant figure out is what to do to it to get the password....

11. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

Fine, hint.

All your 8 bases are belong to us!

12. The Buttery Lobster

Just out of curiosity, since the answer was already given to me, what does the microphone have to do with anything? I don't get that part. I just read someone's answer on what to do with the image. (Thus proving, once again, that laziness is the answer to everything!)

13. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

actualy I was going on that by what some one else was saying.

Trust me Jcw87 ive already tired to decode it by octal encoding, binary and hex by every combinaiton I can think of. Didnt find a thing that made sence.

14. Onea

Onea Member

doo doo doo

I think everyone knows by now what to do with the image file, so I think I can talk about it now. I don't know the answer, but I'm positive the image has nothing to do with the password.

Technically, any image file (jpeg, gif, etc) can be modified to include hidden data. The extra data usually shows up as noise in the image, because the data shows up as random colours. The microphone is probably a good image to choose, because any noise would be lost in the cross hatching. There are a ton of different techniques used to hide data within the image file, but a very simple one is the ";" end of file value. Any data past that symbol won't be parsed by image programs, so you can put anything you want after it. If look at the file in a hex editor, you'll see the ; at the end of the file followed by the .txt and .jpeg names.

If Boddrick really wanted to be a jerk, he could have made only a certain portion of the image contain the archive. You would have to extract that portion, and then convert it into a format readable by winrar. Actually, I would have preferred that because I can't figure out your stupid binary password thing ;).

This technique of hiding data is called stenography. If you check out that link I posted earlier in the thread (http://3564020356.org), you'll find a number of puzzles and essays involving stenography, cyphers, and other interesting stuff. There are numerous references to reversing and hacking though, so you probably don't want to look at it while at work.

15. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Lol our boss would have no clue. He just makes sure we show up for work and relays any complaints up and down the ladder. Anything that is actual technical work is all peer reviewed. Boys and girls if you ever call Verizon DSL and ask for a supervisors(who are really more experienced techs) manager your not getting any higher.

16. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Well, as long as we're spilling the beans on the .rar thing, I believe the reason this works is that JPEGs read from the beginning of the file forwards until the null terminator, while RAR files read from the end of the file backwards until the null terminator. There's some command you can use to merge the files. The trick is pretty old, but never fails to entertain.

17. The Buttery Lobster

Good lord, I don't even know what octal encoding is. Do you people read computer manuals in your spare time, or something? How do you know all this?!

*finds Sandbag*

*gets drunk*

18. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

There was a day when I knew how to work in octal hex and move between them, bin and dec easily...that was freshman year in college. That was also the time I prayed I'd never see octal again. Or hex. Well, programming microcontrollers, and I get to use hex. A lot....now some octal. Why not some base 3 while we're at it?

19. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Well he could add in some geometry and calculus but hes not on par with the evilness of a math teacher.....yet.

20. The Buttery Lobster

What if you... I don't know, took, like, every sixth or eigth digit and wrote that down, then converted what you got into binary? Or every eight pair? Or sixth pair? Or then converted it into octawhatever? or something? I've been screwing with that using the binary translator in Jcw's sig. Shut up! Don't laugh.

This whole puzzle is hell for those of us who don't know computer stuff. The last time I had to deal with binary was in freaking high school! Or maybe freshman year of college, at the latest.

Screw it; I'm going to bed. If someone doesn't have the answer posted by the time I get home from work tomorrow, I'm going to be super-pissed, and I swear to GOD I'm going to beat one of you like a red-headed step child. *glares at Onea menacingly*

Hope that last line wasn't too much.