The new iPhones

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by McGyver, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

We are talking about why to not buy it because of the price.

2. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Whats the point then if we were not going to buy it to begin with.

If anything we should be laughing at apple for feeding people garbage.

3. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Teef please, there is no need for you to be jealous of us young, good looking, urban, dynamic iPhone owners. Using our superior iPhone does not make us that much better people. Your thinking reminds me of a very dark age in Europe's history...:(

4. BigTeef

You mean when apple released news that they sold more phones in Europe than the US?

5. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

6. iMacmatician

iMacmatician Member

Not iPhones, but ImSpartacus and I both have Mac laptops. He runs Windows 24/7 on his though.

7. BigTeef

UNCLEAN

UNCLEEEEAAAN

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  8. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Ugh, you finally got me to crack open Wikipedia and read up on aperture and focal length and all that optical horseshit. Oh Optics, why do they only teach you to lowly engineers?

You were right when you called me out. I knew that optics is complicated shit and you can't just an optical system by one magical metric. When I said "light," I really meant something closer to "information," than "brightness," but I still didn't know what the fuck I was talking about.

But omfg, if there's an excellent analogy for why sensors are important, it's this:

So in the strict sense, a larger sensor does not magically suck in more stuff, but it has the potential to do so.

Normally I'd have a witty response about how you have a pessimistic perspective of learning and knowledge, but this is just too good.

If I have ever "regurgitated" the work of others in the past, then it kinda reversed this time around. This was posted after my post. I haven't found anything else about the topic at that depth.

• Admittedly, that last one is a little murkier, but the point is that any company refusing to continue down to 1.1 micron is important.​

I'm quite the waffling type.

[​IMG]

9. McGyver

The bigger pixels is better slogan is just a more sofisticated version of the more megapixel is better simplification. What counts in the end is image quality and there in the smartphone world we have a 1.1 µm smartphone producing the best pics atm.

Also, i don't trust Anandtechs camera reviews since they called the HTC One's camera "the best smartphone camera".

10. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I think it ends with "bigger sensor."

You can game the collective marketing psyche with tons of tiny pixels (GS4 et al) or just a few giant pixels (One), but you can't fake a giant sensor (808).

During the day, yes.

But most people have much lower standards. I was pretty satisfied with the shitty camera on my Droid X in most conditions.

I'd be pretty satisfied if I could automatically get that same level of shitiness in just about any set of conditions. That's why low light performance is important. Low light is the last big condition that current smartphone cameras can't acceptably deal with.

I'm just one data point, but the existence of the point&shoot camera market seems to suggest that there are quite a few other people that share my low standards.

Lol, klug has a serious hardon for these giant pixels. He seems to think that sensor pixels much narrower than 1.4 microns will be too narrow to capture certain wavelengths.

11. McGyver