The "I want something tested!" Circlejerk thread

Discussion in 'Archive' started by =PVCS) Cpatton, Nov 27, 2009.

1. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

Ok so I see a bunch of people want something or another tested... they have scripts, or a model, or want to see how their new penis melee weapon looks when it attacks people via a custom dickslap script.

Ok, we get it. Also, playtests seem to be infrequent and not getting a lot of attention.

So, for those of us willing and wanting playtests for some script or another, post in this thread, and check for updates. I'm sure we can get 6-10 playtesters in at any time. There are certainly enough people with access to the SVN, it won't be difficult to find testers.

I am posting that I will playtest whenever I am on. The rules of this thread are:

Only post if you are willing to playtest or need a script tested.
    If you post that you want a script tested, you are subject to be asked to test other people's scripts as well, and expected to help us test htem if you are on.

This playtest thing is a little overhyped, and under utilized. I don't see why we can't jsut use the massive list of steam friends users, make a group for 2.25 testers, and just be able to find other users online at any given time to test a script.

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

play tester reporting in

working on a script to playtest, but will take some months so dont just worry about it

3. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Jeep Hill climb:
    http://forums.empiresmod.com/showpost.php?p=250262&postcount=32

Test scenario:
    Race on emp_arid from one base to another and back. Jeeps (NF and BE) should be fastest.
    Random drift and handling tests on flat ground. Also try to move/flip enemy commander with jeeps.

Lower lock on time for Homing missiles:
    http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=11043
    If needed I can also post a complete vehicle_weapons.txt with the changes.

Test scenario:
    AFV MKII, ranged, fission, reflective vs. LT MKII, homing, gas/3phase, reactive.
    Test on open map (duststorm) and test on close map (crossroads with many walls).
    Ideal test result would be, if LT is a little bit stronger on open map but AFV is stronger on close map.

Bio Cannon
    http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=11225

Before starting any test with bio/regen this thread should be answered by the developers: http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=11044 (Bio ML is much stronger, Bio MG does only damage hull)

Test scenario (tank vs. infantry):
    BE barracks is getting attacked by some LT MKII (regen, bio diesel/gas turbine) with Bio ML.
    Attacker and defender switch side and then NF barracks is getting attacked by some AFV MKII (regen, bio diesel/gas turbine) with Bio Cannon.
    Attacker and defender should post whether one of the bio weapons seems to be overpowered.

Test scenario (tank vs. tank):
    Tanks vs. tanks test would be difficult, because bio is most effective when many tanks are at one place.
    Possible test would be on emp_canyon (east chokepoint). Many walls and some turrets for each side.
    LT MKII (regen, bio diesel/gas turbine) vs. BE (DU APCs, Ranged AFV)
    Then again switch side and let BE do the bio part and NF counter with reflective/DU, absorbent/UML, reactive/guided+homing.

Ideal test result would be, when Bio ML and Bio Cannon are approximately equal good or bad.

4. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

Cool :D Stuff to do XD

Someone get Empty's trolling ass in here to post ^^

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I want money revisited tested, considering the crash is fixed in the SVN (so I'm told.).

If I get chance I'll compile a new version anyway. And FYI MOOtant wants it to replace current money, so this isn't just a regular custom map test.

6. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Wouldn't it be easier to test new maps on g4tc servers? I don't believe that we get a full server with testers. And old money sucks most when the server is full.

Ignore this posting.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  7. Trickster

Did you read my post at all? Or do I need to quote it and put the part you're evidently missing in bold.

8. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

The last time he tried that the server crashed despite his best efforts to work around the bug.

Also.
    YAY TESTING

9. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

Ok, great. Fantastic. I like the enthusiasm and we already have a lot to do :D.

Do post your new compile Trickster in case it doesn't get put in for a bit (although I doubt this would be a problem).

10. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Yeah we be needing testing lately. Btw, you do know we have an empires testers group? Or were you saying we should make a more up-to-date one?

Oh and btw, devs, whoever removed the engineer build sound...i'd rather have any kind of sound than none, please.

11. Kane

Kane Member

Do you need anything so you can test? SVN repo, etc.?

12. Trickster

A non-crashing SVN could be nice. But it was over a month ago since I last tested with it.

Money needs a bit of work before I can release this one. And I don't want to do that work. So I need to try motivate myself.

13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

thanks for the effort kane, my fav developer strikes again ^^

14. Trickster

fix'd.

15. Empty

Empty Member

Hey!
    I do art!

16. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

Empty has posted. Meaning he is participating. And since his post seems to be about contributing, I'm going to assume his post said "contributing!" in traditional 4chan style.

SVN repo would be nice but not nessecary, if nothing else there is easy free online webhosting available. :D

I will make a new tester group on steam for those who realize that there really isn't a need for some invite only tester group since hardly anyone knows or cares about the mod enough to infiltratorize their way into it. Why the first one is like that, is beyond me, not like any special information is disseminated via the group anyways.

Will crate when internets come back. Internets r currently full of fail.

17. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

If you could make a separate repo or something that can be contributed by a wider array of people without jeopardizing the svn you are updating code on, that would probably make for a nice player driven testing svn that could be supported and tested without the need of constant dev attention.

I would say adding the ability to have a server run different scripts without having to remove any of the current scripts via some sort of cfg file in the server.ini that would allow you to change the directory used by the game to find the scripts would be nice. That would allow for multiple sets of scripts to be tested back to back, and against the original with minimal use of the repository.

18. RoboTek

RoboTek Member

Well, my diversification based tech-tree is now fully scripted, though it is for 2.24.

I would greatly appreciate help in testing it.

19. Empty

Empty Member

An SVN server that only handles scripts shouldn't be that bad to host from even a crappy PC.

Instructions:
    Copy your empires folder, make folder called 'PublicEmpiresTest'
    Put SVN details on scripts folder
    Update
    ???
    PROFIT

20. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

im gonna rush my script so i can show it to people