The default server.cfg

Discussion in 'Testing Discussion' started by CyberKiller, Feb 21, 2014.

1. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

The default server.cfg for empires is terrible.
    The sv_maxrate is only 30000 and sv_minrate is low as well.

This should be addressed at some point but I would like to add that source 2013 has slightly different netcode so some shitty workarounds that we used to do with server rates are no longer relevant (eg. Setting server max_fps).
    Some other things in there might need changing as well (maybe even in the clients' .cfg files).

I will probably post a dedicated server setup tutorial with a suggested default server.cfg on the forum when the patch is finished.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

You know... I have no idea how to make the changes I keep setting stay permanent. sv_cheat 1, emp_sv_refinery_multiplyer 20 and so on... Why don't they work in main menu setup?

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Once we've settled on some improved values then we'll update the default server.cfg and make them official.

That's some bug that came from porting to Steam originally that never got fixed. If you keep it in mind for when we start getting a persistent bug list set up (should be pretty soon once we start testing), then remind me then and I'll add it to the list so it'll hopefully get fixed. Complete_Lamer did a lot of testing on the issue I think.

4. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

I think the default values should be fairly safe values as in not too high, so that they will work fairly well on most servers.
    Then it's up to server owners to tweak them (or make it worse lol) to suit their servers.

5. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

And on that note, if you make a listen server any of the options you can set in the menu like res rate and wait time don't work. I think only the "all researched" checkbox works.

6. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

This, I wanted to test ideas a couple of times but had to wait for shit because none of these settings would save.

7. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Quick list of console commands to do the stuff in that menu. (These are from memory so might be slightly wrong, when you start typing it in youll see a suggestion appear though)

Remove comm voting time:

emp_sv_vote_commander_time 0

Increase resources:

emp_sv_refinery_interval (set to lower than 1)
    emp_sv_refinery_multiplier (set > 1)

Research:

emp_sv_research_complete 1 (researches everything)
    emp_sv_research_item (item name) will research 1 thing

Theres a command to reduce the respawn time and another to give yourself rank points but cant remember them off the top of my head. Those will get you started anyway.

Edit: Actually viroman, good point. Remind me tomorrow and I'll create a config file to do all that stuff with just the one command

8. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Don't forget emp_sv_debug_build_vehicles so you can build build vehicles without a VF.

9. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Apparently the 2013 version remembers what you put in the server options when you start a new server. Hooray.

10. complete_

complete_ lamer

11. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Ok I added a testing config file to SVN (rev #1556). See the sticky at top of this forum for the latest information about this file

This is already on your PC the ONLY thing you need to do to run this is typing the following command in console:

It makes setup changes and also includes other commands which you may find useful.

These are (note commands preceded by // are not activated when the script is run and are there for your reference):

Whilst it should be ok to use this most of the time please remember it changes the default game and therefore it will need a bit of testing without running it (that can mostly be done in organised testing sessions).

Also if you are having problems finding a command a useful command is: find <keyword> which will list all commands containing your keyword (and cvarlist emp_)

12. ViroMan

Can I just copy that stuff into a file called testing.cfg and then run that command?

13. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Its already all on your PC. You just literally have to type "exec testing" without quotes in the console (once you have the latest svn revision and are ingame). Thats just there so everyone knows whats in the file.

You could do it your way, but if you do I suggest naming it something else to prevent conflicts as I may be updating this one in future.

Edit: Theres a sticky about this at the top of the testing forum. I've updated the post to make it a bit clearer. If it can be improved further then let me know

14. ViroMan

well what I ment was to use that for the current release of empires. :P

Working on imp commander atm. Going to change its sound so it sounds different then the other vehicles. It requires a map reload to change sounds. Typing that crap in over and over is a pain.

edit:
    hmm didn't work where does the file go? durp... didn't call it .cfg left it .txt. works now.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  15. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Yeah, but youve figured that out. If you are seriously wanting to update the scripts then I'd recommend the latest release though so that you are sure that the changes remain relevant