The current state of empires mod

Discussion in 'General' started by Spike, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Before me it's HEMG+Deflective/Compo.

It was griefing if you research anything else.

Now? You can play the game properly with DUMG and other armors.

No variation? Cool story.

You can choose to not apology, but you know, I am not a goddamn saint, I don't put a smiley face when you toss shit onto my face.

2. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

DUMG is still completely irrelevant and while it is "POSSIBLE" It is DEFINITELY not preferred and teams that get DU simply get it because it is right next to ER. They will go for HEMG as soon as they get meds or heavies to get the better MG. I have seen two armors used in the past 10 games I have played. Compo and Deflective all resulted in wins while reactive resulted in a loss because its way too heavy. Variation hardly exists still because there is one path and shit doesn't counter.

I do choose not to apologize, Rifleman was already OP and has been buffed, tank combat has been reduced to nothing compared to the greatness it once was.

3. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I think I can translate your replies to "Fuck you for not implementing my hard-counters".

4. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

No, lol. It was an idea that would have added back variation but I agree there are many other ways. I simply made that thread to get the ball rolling and getting the community to talk about how stale the research is, and look where we are now.

5. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

LOUD NOISES

6. Caelorum

Caelorum Member

Don't take it too personally Security, we all know you're doing the best you can. Even of it might turn out to be the wrong direction you still need to try it, however please keep an open mind for alternatives if you do. Don't go in a defensive stand and disregard any criticism even if it is said in the manner Donald here does ^^

7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i have not read everything, but my general opinion on this matter is that tank-survivability is too high for both tank-tank and tank-infantry combat and not only since this version, but since i play this game.
    concerning the later, tank-infantry, if it changes tanks ofc need to kill infantrists faster aswell, no more suviving ranged cannon bouncing of your forehead.

8. William Mackenzie

William Mackenzie Member

Just wondering if/when Empires will be open-sourced?

Thanks

9. Caelorum

Caelorum Member

oh c'mon.. Go troll somewhere else. What problem would open sourcing actually solve? (hint: Nothing!)

10. Wired_4fun

Wired_4fun Member

I think instead of "What problems would it solve," you should instead think "What fixable problems will I see in the future." So pretty much you may say it may solve nothing, but at the same time there may be things that can be solved by open sourcing that aren't completely obvious right now.

11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Most of the things we are currently unaware of that are a problem.

Its like saying while trying to navigate a dark room 'what will turning on the lights really solve...' and then stubbing your toe into a small piece of furniture or stepping on a lego.

12. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

It would be easy to put this down to some whining, and some of it is, but there are also some valid points.
    There was a round table hipchat discussion last night about how the dev team appears to the players and this is essentially what we were talking about.

-The dev team isn't very transparent, to each other or the public. Nobody really seems to know who does what

-There's no general design direction. There isn't a document that says what we're trying to achieve, everything is piecemeal "could this be good? Yeah, maybe"

-What is done isn't very noticeable

-People have high expectations of the team

-We need community contributions to help (please people, give us good looking screenshots/Empires art. Pleeeeeease)

-We need to reduce player attrition

Not saying these things will be overcome soon, but they're the things the team recognizes as problems to address.

13. Caelorum

Caelorum Member

thank god you put lack of direction in there. My thread is mostly all about that!

as for open sourcing: I'm all for open source with community contributions, but what most people don't realize it has it's cons as well. Just open sourcing, because it might expose some issues to solve is not a very good reason. You need to have a well defined issue it solves with the process/organization, otherwise it is not worth the time and effort. ESP. As you need to then direct the community as well as the core developer team and they have a hard time directing themself as it is.
    Also open source does not mean everyone can contribute as well as that closed source does not mean you can't contribute. AFAIK everyone that can commit some sort of stable time can apply and get into the current team and even community maps and ideas have a good chance to get into the game.

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

we need to do more of those, hipchat is great but why not use the chat this forum has? or is hipchat also logged somewhere publicly?

Id want the devs to talk on a weekly basis with at least some of the active players.

15. Thexa4

Thexa4 Developer Staff Member Moderator

16. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

are there logs? or is anyone keeping track of the times semi important stuff is said?

Ive been there a couple times, but when im around people are always talking about what kind of food they got stuck between their teeth. But apparently there are times some interesting shit is being debated.

17. Caelorum

Caelorum Member

there is a log, but only for signed in members. As it is a public guest chatroom we can't log in with accounts. This is by design and the only thing they can do is give ever one accounts with reduced rights, which is a pain in the ass to maintain and I do not recommend doing it.

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

What the fuck are you talking about, all i want is a transcript of what is being said like is done with the forum chatbox.

How does that relate to user accounts and the likes.

19. Caelorum

Caelorum Member

HipChat has a log. Only logged in users can see the log. Guests are not logged in users. They can allow users to create an account. Having non-team members is a maintenance nightmare. I do not recommend allowing non-team members. I do not recommend using hip chat if you need a perfect transcript.

As for the need of a transcript. I'd much rather have a curated summary of what and how a decision was made, although just knowing the direction the team wants to move in would be nice as well.

Also you asked if there were logs and my answer to you was Yes. I cant see how my first answer was in any way difficult to understand, but ok... Except for referring to the hip chat room as a 'public guest room', but you would know that if you tried to join. It basically screams that from across the internet.

20. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

I understand now, after rereading my previous post id like to apolagise i came off as a bit aggressive, it was more meant in jest then to attack.
    Could there be a way to have developers keep a (B)log on the forums of everything they find interesting that is said? just a perpetual thread of some sorts.

Caelorum likes this.