Team balance ala NS2

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by HaschteWas, Mar 8, 2014.

1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I've always been in this camp.

Do your best to create an even game at the beginning. If a game turns out to be imbalanced, end it ASAP and "rebalance" the next game.

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Unpopular opinion incoming, I like playing against horribly stacked teams, and playing on teams that are losing in a rather painful way. This comes about from wanting a greater challenge in pub games, so I don't really hate games where you know one side is going to lose. I can certainly understand why a lot of people would want to end the game, a losing fight for most people is frustrating and makes them quit. Or games that drag on for to long.

I will admit to dragging a game way past the point it should have ended by switching teams like 3 times, when ever one team looked like they were going to lose. I think I ended up killing the server that night because of that.:(

3. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

The fun part is to counterstack and make the (original) winning team rage : HOW DAFUQ DID WE LOSE?
    That's totally priceless.

4. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

At that point, you know strategy matters more than boring cs-reflexes, oh wait.

5. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I like it too, I usually play about 10x better in that kind of situation anyway. But with the smaller games that are more common now, a severely stacked team is much more dangerous in terms of minimum players needed, even, rather than just skill like in the old days.

6. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Incompatible with revive.

7. HaschteWas

HaschteWas Member

Its compatible with revive.
    You just need to take it into account in the revive and squad revive code.
    We already have existing anti revive code in empires.

8. Z100000M

So what, you propose that sometimes engy lead will get no revives but spend a buttload of points, because he didnt know that at this very instant, some two guys on the opposite team left for a beer?

9. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Well he will know since his team is notified that there is an "imbalance" and revive/spawn is off or delayed.

10. Z100000M

doesnt help when that happens when you are in the menu and get screwed of the points anyway.

Also screws killspawning.

11. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Was just going to point taht out but zoom beat me to it.

Horribly unintuitive to have revive enabled/disabled depending on number of players in the teams.

90+% of the time that teams are unbalanced by a value >2 is when a team is rage quitting. Which happens at the end of a lot of games whether it was rushed or not. Seems to slow gameplay down unnecessarily and I wouldn't enjoy it.*

* The NS2 teambalance is great, but it doesn't fit with Empires gameplay

12. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Well the way NS2 can handle it... is that when people die on the Stacked team they are placed in line to revive. They can only revive in line when the number of active players on the stacked team is less then the unstacked team.

So there will eventually be an = amount of alive players. It only enables this system when the the teams are stacked at +2 to one side.

It only switches to ending the round where there is a ridiculous amount of stacking.