Tank Destroyer

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Donald Trump, Mar 26, 2016.

?

Would you like the addition of a Tank Destroyer?

1. Yes

60.0%
  2. No

40.0%
  1. Ranger

Ranger Member

I actually liked AFV MK2 more.

What about a 3-slot HE Cannon to make mediums stronger? Now the problem is the gap between meds and heavies arrr. But not much imo. a 3slot weapon is heavier 2-4 plates of armour. That surely makes a difference on a medium.

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

The 3 slot cannons are only 10 more weight then a 2 slot cannon. Salvo homing is 100 and nukes are 150. Maybe we need 60 damage rails again but make them weigh 100?

3. Ranger

Ranger Member

Sorry aren't rails 80weight? RC is 70 and HEC 60. More weapons means less armour, I think it balances itself.

Also wasn't there a time where rails and plasma weighed 100?

4. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Yeah that's what I meant, though plasma never weighed 100 because it was always a 2 slot 70 weight weapon til spartacus made it a 3 slot, in a effort to make heavies stronger with their own weapons. It should probably be a 2 slot weapon again, meds could use a different canon besides he and ranged.

I was just saying that right now there isn't a huge weight difference, only a plate really. That's not a lot of hp considering it's only off one side, going from 5>4 or depending on loadouts 6>5.

5. Ranger

Ranger Member

BE meds can only have 4 layers of armor. If someone wants a 3slot cannon and other weapons on, I'm sure it will make a difference.

6. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

I think we can use the BE artillery chassis and stick the medium tank barrel on it. Spike has a picture of it iirc.

As for NF, there's a new medium sized chassis being created. It was designed as a replacement medium tank chassis, but could well be used as a TD chassis instead...

EDIT: here is a thread containing a new nf model https://forums.empiresmod.com/index.php?threads/problems-with-vehicle-model.19194/

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

what a waste ...

... though a better use than none.

the main difference is that mediums get easier to kill with LTs. strap the highest damage dual slot ml (it hopefully still is UML) and a good speed engine on it and have a fun ride ...
    ... just dont get hit or at least retreat if you do, but hey its LTs, small silhouette, high mobility, you can almost hide it behind a tree.

yes, the advantage is less on maps with a lot of chokepoints ...
    ... but tanks have to work on any official map and its only less.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  8. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

The gap between LT and medium is like 2 times larger than the gap between medium and heavy.

Medium tanks have decent strength.

Even if I have buffed medium, it still doesn't make sense to get medium over heavy tank.
    Surely I can increase the price of heavy tank, but then you can easily lose a game if nubs suicide their heavy tanks.

I think we need a smart restriction system, actually this should be a suggestion on its own.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  9. VulcanStorm

How would a tank destroyer handle?

Like a tank, so can turn on the spot?
    Or an afv, so drives like a car?

I guess the tank destroyer would need a barrel that could rotate slightly, since only firing forwards may be rather difficult to aim with...

10. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

How I picture it, is it can turn on the spot (Better for aim) allowing it to rotate in place. If it drove like a car, it would be completely and utterly useless as getting into firing position would be nearly impossible.

As for the barrel, I would assume it would work like the artillery, having a limited firing range (No turret rotation) but the barrel could move to the side and up and down slightly, but you have to move the tank to get more movement range.

11. VulcanStorm

So not like a rolling anti-tank gun then? it'd have to be an anti-tank tank.

Were you thinking modern tank destroyers or ww2?

12. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

ww2 was my initial intention. It is an anti-tank tank to allow more mobility. The ML turret fills the anti tank tank gun I think (Like a non-rolling one).

As in the picture, I think a ferdinand type tank destroyer would be cool as hell.

13. VulcanStorm

for which team? BE? NF?

NF is gonna be the hard one to get a chassis for... BE already have that arty chassis that can be re-purposed...

14. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Well, again, a new model for both would be IDEAL but its up to what is more convenient and what can be re purposed. It would be nice though to have a new BE TD model eventually in an effort to differentiate the TD and the Arty tank from each other in open combat.

Last edited: May 30, 2016