Tank Deaths

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Megor, Jan 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KILLX

KILLX Banned

I brought it up and there was NOTHING BUT BITCHING AT ME FOR IT.

2. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

I think the bitching was due to the fact that engines would damage nearby stuff, and that point was argued over...

In this thread; its just the eyecandy and none of the hurt; so it took a diffrent path...

The idea of explosion damage was shot down; multiple times, not eyecandy...

Eyecandy is immortal; it cannot be killed, it can only be worshiped :p

3. KILLX

KILLX Banned

ah, then I mis understood
    DO IT FFS! ADD IT NOW OR FEEL THE WRATH OF THE COMMUNITY!

4. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

When the bio diesel engine explodes, flaming french fries should fly out.

5. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

A visual way to tell what engine a enemie is using would be very useful. Now you can only guess by on how many shots they shoot before trying to back off... Another alternative could be a particle that appearers client side from the back of the vehicle with a different color per type... of course make it only for those on hight gfx settings so some poor bastereds gfx card doest go on strike.

6. DeadlyDad

DeadlyDad Member

I like the idea of cooking off the ammo. It needn't be hard to code, either; just spawn an explosion of one of each kind of weapon the tank carried at the spot it died. To help with balance, the ammo only explodes if X amount of damage is done past what killed the tank. (i.e. If X=50, and a tank with 5HP is hit with 70HP of damage, then it explodes (70-5=65). If it was hit with 40, it would die, but it wouldn't explode.)

7. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Something else that would look nice is that randomly the tank might explode and bounce like it does now, continue driving like in one of the last RCs, or have the turrent blown off... This would be sweet and make the deaths less genaric.:D

8. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Empires: 1000 ways to die....

It'd be good advertisement. >_>

^_^ bio Diesel blowing up like napalm ^_^

9. DeadlyDad

DeadlyDad Member

I can just see it: A first-person view, following a tank from behind/left. It's taking a pounding as you come up. Finally, a HE shell comes screaming in and slams into the base of the turret, blowing up the tank and making the turret go airborne. The last thing you see before it all goes black is your hand thrown up in protest as the turret flips through the air straight at you. A second after, the text fades in, in two separate lines: Empires...A thousand ways to die.

10. Megor

Megor Member

Glad people saw the good in this thread!

Yes the basic idea behind it was that it would allow the other team to identify what type of engine the other team was using.

Would tell what research the other com had done.

As far as damage I was not thinking a drastic notice. The effects would be very small. The reactor damage, as mentioned earlier a max of 20 damage, I was thinking more like 10.

The effects on other tanks would only be like a second at best, just enough to tell you that a tank went BOOM next to you. But not enough to determine the win or loss of a match.

I am against nuclear tank bombs :p .

As far as gameplay if the devs added so much eye candy why not a tad in environmental effects as well. It would push for more types of tactics as the other team can identify what engines you have then be able to counter them.

To me a tank dying should do something to anything in a direct proximity of it. It is tons of metal blasting into the air!

11. REX

REX Member

dont forget with ammo sometimes making secondary explosions the enemy team could also determin from the look/sound what guns have been researced on enemy team.

12. KILLX

KILLX Banned

killing a nuke tank with fission engine should cause temporary nuclear fallout that only affects infantry

13. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I think everyone agrees that large/powerful explosions are a bad idea, they encorage the wrong tactics and don't add anything to the game beyond it being £$%& annoying.

14. KILLX

KILLX Banned

bah. i'll just try to think of balanced things.

Standard: Small explosion

Gas Turbine: does minor fire damage to everything around it (venting gas = fire!)

Bio Diesel: Perhaps a big flammable fuel spill that makes wheel based vehicles slide a bit, and that can be ignited with direct weapons fire.

3 Phase Electric: electrifies anything that comes in contact with it, if it is in a body of water the water is electrified. buildings are resistant, reactive is resistant due to it being electrical based.

Fission: Radioactive pressure wave. anything hit with it gets infected like with bio weapons.

Coolant: slidey pool of coolant, perfect for sliding around for a U turn :D

15. Kamikazi Ice

Kamikazi Ice Member

I like this idea. I always wanted to see my Nuke Reactor go KABLAMOOOOO!!!!! when my tank died. It doesn't have to have any damaging effects, I just think it would make sense to show that the tank is blowing up with <insert engine here> in it. Can you imagine? Nuclear Jeeps!? Oh my god, i'd laugh my arse off!

Not to mention, it ticks me off to see tanks fly...at least with a nuclear explosion it'd make some sense.

16. KILLX

KILLX Banned

on the topic of the visual effects: for gas turbine once it dies it should move. how? lots of venting gas being ignited propelling it forward. basically a moving column of fire being propelled by another column of fire xD

17. Reef

Reef Member

Visual effects would be cool... But what I had in mind, was to make difrrent engines make diffrent noises and emit diffrent smokes, so 3phase is like bzzzzzzzzZZZZZZ and bio diesel sounds like an old fishing boat (put, put, put, put and increase frequency when it speeds up, but when it stands still it could be cool). Also bio could emit literally clouds of black smoke (like old car with no catalizator and some really importnant parts broken). Coolant could emit white smoke, standard would have gray smoke etc. It would actually enable everyone to see what engine enemy has used, so the tactic of the team could be adjusted. I this was implemented (even not the tank deaths and sounds, just the colour of the emited smoke), coolant engine would become less overpowered.
    If I am notified that the enemy researched coolant and we are on a big map, I can go 3phase/fission and my tanks can flee from coolant tanks without much trouble, so they don't get destroyed that much. Also if time needed for my tank to go from my base to the enemy, would be 30s, then it would take him a minute to go to the oposite way. If two tanks would depart at the same time, they would meet in 1/3 of the road after 20s.
    I think it wouldn't be that much job to change the colour of smoke emited by the certain tank engines. It's fun, it gives scout a purpose ("hey, You, go to enemy base and look on their smoke to see what they research so we can adjust if they pull something off!"), it gives more teamplay, players must communicate more (via commander probably). It makes the game more tactic, as the commander can adjust to enemy research.
    If 2 people say that they like this sub-idea, I'll just create a new topic.
    Sorry for hijacking this one, but it's related to tank-differ-apperance-by-engine-type.

Another idea to differ tanks (also easy to implement) would be to visualize a HEmg explosion on armour each time a reactive-armour tank is being hit by something that hurts him (ofcourse if he looses all the armour on a given side and we are hitting the hull itself, it shouldn't explode). The thing is meant to explode on impact, isn't it? Well why isn't it exploding when I am hitting it??
    I am not sure if it isn't already implemented, but if reflective armour is hit by tank on a big angle, it could be visualized (only, because damage should be inflicted on hit) like the shell was bouncing off the armour (but it would bounce and fly only for a very short time, like 0.05s or sth). The thing should reflect the shells so it deal less damage. Make it look so.

18. Megor

Megor Member

On the idea that tanks should move when they die do you mean something like in Company of Heroes? The tanks go out of control and either after 2 seconds or running into a building they explode.

That would be neat. Any tank currently moving instead of instantly blowing up would go out of control and do collision damage to whatever it runs into!

19. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

*Epic Necro*

I saw something about devs making new damaged models to buildings and tanks and such ^_^

20. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

I Love The Idea

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.