Suggestions for hosting a website

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by meg griffin, Jun 9, 2010.

1. meg griffin

meg griffin Member

Due to my recent identity theft, lawyer costs can go up to more than $us 20K to clean up my name. I am planning on creating a website to try to spread the word about who really I am and maybe setup a website to state some facts about me.

I looked at godaddy.com, I used cphosting long time ago, squarespace???

Anyway, any suggestions for setting up a simple webpage? (I will register a domain with my own name on it.)

2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

If you're fighting identity theft, why would you set up a website? Websites are like the easiest way to impersonate someone. Practically being on the internet is impersonation considering most people have an alias and don't give out all their personal details.

If you want to get the word out about your case then a newspaper or television channel might be more helpful, they will pay you for your story, you get more public attention, and it helps fund your case.

3. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Chris is right, if you really want to do the website thing, why not use social networks like linkedin etc.

4. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

5. MajorTom

MajorTom Member

Well if you are going to make a website you might want to go for a free .tk website so you don't have to pay for it.

6. OMEN

OMEN Member

change your name !

7. petemyster

petemyster Member

I wouldn't trust anything on a site with .tk at the end of it. Thats what an identify thief might use......

8. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Social networking sites, namely Facebook and LinkedIn, are a great way to establish yourself and build your contacts/connections up so that you are well-grounded.

While creating a website isn't necessarily a be all end all strategy for combating identity theft after the fact, it certainly wouldn't hurt. It's better to have your own web presence than to let someone have it for you.

I have a personal opinion that most everyone should try to obtain and keep something like the following:

<firstname><surname>.com
    <firstname><middle initial><lastname>.com

(Or something along those lines.)

The reasons for this are so that you can "fill the cup" before anyone else fills it for you. Of course, some people are ahead of the game and setup websites to impersonate people or extort money from the victims in exchange for control of a domain.

You can turn the personal website into somewhat of a resume or curricula vitae, and you can place the Facebook and LinkedIn buttons on it to link to your respective profiles.

Furthermore, it's handy to have such a domain name (even if you never use it and simply leave it parked), because you never know when you'll start a firm or become a published author (most authors have a <firstname><lastname>.com). What you'd hate to have happen is write some books and then decide you want a web presence and have some douche own the domain you want and then have to contact them and deal with them wanting in upwards of $20,000 USD for it.

If you do wish to setup a website, I suggest keeping your domains registered independently from your webhosting service. This is because, from my personal experiences and those of others, webhosting companies can be shady at times, and may hold a domain name hostage (through delays, mostly) if you try to discontinue their service and shift to a different hosting company.

I register my domains through NameCheap.com (an ENOM reseller), and I would actually be okay with purchasing from ENOM directly, but probably wouldn't go with any other registrar.

As for hosting, there are various reliable companies based here in the U.S.:
    Site5 (mine)
    DreamHost
    HostGator
    LunarPages
    GoDaddy (they're alright, but don't rely on their data recovery services*)

From what I recall though, you don't live in the U.S.? However, I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding a reliable company in your resident country.

9. Theowningone

Theowningone Noone likes me :'(

10. meg griffin

meg griffin Member

You own it?

11. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

No, I meant that it is the primary company I use for hosting.

12. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

OH
    GOD
    NO

DreamHost has turned into a run-away down-hill train over the last few years. The reliability is meh at best, and I frequently have to deal with insanely slow load times for both the cpanel and my website.

I'm switching to FiveBean in a few months.

13. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Jesus christ, how bad did they hit you?

14. meg griffin

meg griffin Member

Like this:

:headshot: :headshot: :headshot: :headshot: :headshot:

Somebody impersonated me and committed fraud to many many people, now they are all suing me.

I am still undecided about the webpage thing. I got a lawyer :"(... its a lot of money :(

Oh well, in the meantime i will go and kick some noob ass. If you are around Ill kick yur ass too.

15. OMEN

OMEN Member

maybe - brian REALLY did do it...