Suggestion #5 : Ramps

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Xyaminou, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Suggestion #5 : Ramps

What is it? and Why use it?

The problem of some main bases in this mod is that they cannot be fully walled , we should be able to build ramps that would have the same size as walls and buildable exactly like walls so you can adapt it. We can already use walls as tank traps (it's some kind of ramps since you can pass but not the enemy) in some case so it would just let us use ramps in every maps.

2. zenarion

zenarion Member

Hm.. sort of want. But this could make this game even more of a grind than it is.
    Bases shouldn't be total fortresses, mostly because that games would DRAG out because of this.You would have to be building your own ramps, or siege machines.. Or until the enemy commander researches artillery and smashes the inside of the base to bits leaving only a shell.

Well alright, i like it.

3. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

I like the suggestion.
    It would be enough if the ramp height is half the height of a completely builded wall. And I don't see any map, where this could lead to a problem.
    [​IMG]

The main usage would be to fortify your base but also allow your tanks to drive out of the base. Because ramps should only have half height completely builded walls will be blocking anyway.
    Also I would use them to drive over stupid placed walls from teammates.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  4. Soulton

Soulton Member

Sounds like a good idea as long as it doesn't make sieges last longer than they already do.

5. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Just build a ramp in front of the enemy walls. Add some walls and you can do a surprise attack. So sieges will last shorter.

And again a high quality picture:
    [​IMG]

6. Soulton

Soulton Member

A good idea to shorten sieges as long as the defending team isn't quick to counter, or stop anyone from building the ramp in the first place.
    Edit: Either way the idea of building ramps would be a great idea for empires.

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

If the enemy is attacking a walled in base you've already lost. Therefore this is unneccesary.

Your defences are your tanks, your infantry, your frontline raxes. If you haven't got vehicles controlling the area outside your base, or frontline raxes blocking the choke points, then you've lost all your territory and resources and you will shortly lose the game.

8. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

Thats is only valid on linear maps, mainly emp_crossroads which isn't a good example for empires gameplay. Also (1) crossroads already has buildable ramps and they are not necessarily only useful when you are about to lose and (2) ramps are pretty much the same as walls when it comes to a seige. Ramps will just make it a useful (nongreifing) strategy to wall your base completely while still being able to deploy vehicles.

A good commander on maps like slaughtered or arid would ramp off the choke point entering the base to protect from vehicle rushes. Ramps would be useful if the team has two bases in different corners of the map, one base could hold off attackers and still deploy vehicles. It would make defending a base less of a matter of killspawning and more a matter of good defense. Along with turret placing, it puts a lot more power for defense in the hands of the commander.

On a side note, if ramps are too awkward/disfunctional then maybe gates? (like alot of other RTSs have)

9. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

This idea is just no good. Maps are designed with the limitations of where tanks can go in mind; ramps would let people drive tanks over things that the map designer intended to obstruct them, and would let tanks reach areas (and use routes) that were not intended when the map was made. Existing maps would therefore be broken by this.

It would lead to exploits, in general. (Can you imagine the 3-phase jeep jumps alone?)

10. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

I like it.

as for access, with ~50 mines you could get all over the place, like the top of canyon for example. Ramps just aren't that high. Source tanks don't jump either, they tend to just go down and along. If it's a problem on a map, redesign the map a bit so it isn't.

And FFS stop saying 'OH NOES TURTLING!?' I'm always going to reply with things like: walls encourage turtles, remove. Barracks allow defenders to spawn, remove. armouries allow losing players to get ammo, remove. Guns allow losing players to keep fighting, remove. Almost everything seems to allow defenders to have an advantage, you can't go about removing every part of the game because of 1 negative aspect which, tbh, doesn't even change that much.

11. Kai

Kai Member

Having ramps would be good. If you have a super fortress of death, you're probably not focusing on holding refineries, and you are going to lose.

12. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

It wouldn't lead to any exploit because the ramps are only half size of a wall and generally the map have in mind that infantry can build walls to get to place they couldn't get usually . no I dont think it would lead to any new exploit.

By the way , thanks SIP for the illustrations :)

I think engineers should be able to build 1 ramp with their calculator , and maybe 2 when they've 40 points.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  13. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

9-mining was removed primarily for this reason.

And the problem isn't simply tanks getting where they're not supposed to be, but people creating entire routes that weren't intended by the map designer.

14. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

a ramp that have only half the size of a wall will not get a tank anywhere it's not supposed to be , trust me....