Stopping 16x maps from being boring

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Trid3nt, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

With these new maps, It's going to be really boring to run across a map. Just was thinking if there was going to be a way of stopping this becoming boring?

2. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

put gameboy games on the engy tool

3. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

:o

Krenzo, would it be possible to incorporate MAME into Empires?

4. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Quite simple really: request a pickup. The open desert isn't the place for a lone soldier, after all.

5. R_yell

R_yell Member

1:16 scale maps are going to be aircraft only AFAIK. 1:8 maps are more adequate for ground and aircrafts. Anyway 1:8 is huge for vehicles, so the problem is the same. Possible solution: avoid open maps like duststorm, there people could take a jeep, start to explore the map and forget that they were playing empires. So vehicle areas should be very tight, with clearly defined paths and choke points, and air transport should be the preferred way of moving to those areas where ground combat would be decisive to win the game. Remember that only ground troops win the wars.

6. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

All I can do is drool when I think 16x island maps with naval battles... I know it will be far into the future before I can really live through that wet dream, but still. :p I also foresee maps that have an island or two in the middle, but lots of sea around them for aerial battles, or canyons with not so much space to manouver for the tanks thus making air support an important factor on who will win... :)

I think map design is going to play huge part in making the 16x or 8x maps fun. :) But I have full confidence in the dev team and I'm sure there will be great community made maps in the future too. :)

7. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Transit systems may be available for infantry. Oh, that gives me an idea.

8. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Empires: Sims?

9. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

Actually, looks like we will be able to have 16x air and inf maps after all. Krenzo's skills never cease to amaze me. We've talked before about makeing Jeeps a little bit cheaper or free in such cases to cut down on transit time but Yell is right, aircraft, spacificly transports, will play a huge role in such maps. 16x maps will be LONG games with lots of people. RUshing will be hard as the bases are so far apart and it will take time to get enough Res for planes. Early game will be res collecting and building with some minor skirmishing then things will heat up as forward bases are established, aircraft begin to appear and conflict over res nodes begins in ernest.

16x maps will be Empires hard core.

10. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

A good style of map would be unconnected islands. you would have to fly between the islands, but would have to disembark and set up a base to make a propper assault on it. not only that, but you'll have to have destroyed any defences first, and then there should be some res heavy, hard to reach area (such as underground), or a building that must be captured.

11. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Only problem with unconnected islands is how to capture them. If it is ringed with AA it wont be possible to attack. At least if it has a bridge an art can take out some turrents. Though you have given me some nice ideas for a story...:D

12. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Boats. You assault islands with boats. Boat arty pizzowns the enemy AA, then the airstrikes begin. Follow the airstrikes with infantry and armor landings.

Wait, am I describing Operation: Overlord?

13. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

that's what i was thinking :D

also, presuming AA can't hit you if you fly low enough, then it would be fair to say that what you would need would be a small strike force to go in and take out the AA.

14. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

What I imagine on those island maps, is not lonewolf behaviour, but REAL teamwork;

Imagine this scene:

The Brenodi are planning an attack on the last Norther isnald, it is heavily defended with everything from MG's to AA, AA tanks patroll the entire perimeter; with an even heavily fortified base in the heart of the island, far from any harm...

First a wave of fighters with of bombers is sent in (Around 3 fighters and 2 bombers) To initialy distract the defenses to allow the dropships following closely to deply the troops and establish a foothold on the beach...

MmmMmmm... That makes me salivate...

15. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

Reminds me of the good ole bf42 version. Took forever to get anywhere without somesort of vehicle. The tank assaults were much more rewarding that way because of the time it took to set up and execute them.

16. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

idea: 'transport unit' gay name ill let u think of a better one. basicly you put these trasnsport units on the map and when you enter one you select another transport unit and you get telleported there. of course you would need to have your commanding vehicle in the area, so i dont think it would get spammed too much.

17. arklansman

arklansman Member

I think this has already been shot down.
    So you'll just have to suicide and respawn at a different barracks.

18. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

who shot it down? and when?

19. FalconX

FalconX Developer

Yeah, anyone who's played Emp42 will know how 16x maps aren't boring. :p

20. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Ahh! ok Yea I didnt know that boats where confermed I rembered Krenzo talking about them some in mapping but figured they would be added in after plains.

Even know if you get a game where no noobs turrent farm or spam art it can be fun. I have had several memorable fights. :D Are any of the current maps we currently have based on any of the old 42 ones?