Stepping on a mine feels GRRRRRRRRRRREAT

Discussion in 'Archive' started by FN198, Mar 21, 2011.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

tanks are no seperate class, everyone can use it ...

2. [KM] The Corpse

[KM] The Corpse Member

Everyone knows that grens have to be weakened whenever possible... otherwise what would Empty have to complain about!

3. Empty

Empty Member

It's hard enough landing rockets with high ping, it should be predicted tbh, on customfactor my guided missiles nearly always hit.

4. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

yeah cause ur shooting at stationary objects because no one plays on that piece of shit server. move to a real country

5. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

+1
    I never found ping to matter much in the greater scope of empires play. Especially withrpgs

6. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

empires seems to run awesomely on 300 ping, I can't play at 150 on css or tf2 without me teleporting all over the place.

7. Empty

Empty Member

Yeah but then I'd either be living closer to you or mootant.
    Fuck that.

If you're a retarded weeaboo with no aim you'll suck equally on all servers so I can see how you'd think that.

8. Vitaly

Vitaly Member

Damn it Empty, stop doing...that! I look away for five seconds and by the time I turn around, you've already pissed on the carpet and lit the drapes on fire.

It's as if you can't even comprehend the basics of manners and generally not being a dick. Be nice, it's easier for everyone.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  9. Empty

Empty Member

Sorry ma'am.

10. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

Hes like HSM. But not kawaii.

11. Vitaly

Vitaly Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i28LCUuTsbc

But...HSM is Lawful Evil. I'm Lawful Neutral or Lawful Good if anything.

Edit: Get your dnd alignment classifications right nerdzzzzzzz

Maybe when you're grown up Timmy, mommy Vitaly won't have to make sure you don't piss in everyone else's coffee.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  12. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I recognize that video just from the URL.

Everybody that wants to play Empires should have to listen to that before entering a server. It would speed up the whole leave-a-non-noob-friendly-game cycle.

Poor Arrow fella comes in with painfully obvious design flaws and gets nothing but ridicule. It's like people enjoy playing with broken mechanics. If this game didn't have such an amazing community of hardcore players, it would've been dead a long time ago.

13. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

define "amazing"

14. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I don't, but certain other developers tend to disable my patches before they even get a chance to get tested by anyone else

"It's amazing how tenacious this penis fungus is, not even the strongest antifungal cremes solve it"

15. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Synonymous with "dedicated".

I'm talking about philosophical game design decisions, not so much from a technical perspective.

For an FPS, this is an incredibly difficult game to learn. However, the community seems to act like it's the easiest game in the world. And the community is actually hostile to any attempts to accept change (Arrow's thread?).

Take something like queuing research. That feature and others will never see the light of day because everybody likes the current "strategy" of distracting the com to prevent research and other commanding. A flaw in the com interface becomes a game mechanic?

And then there's spawn camping. A gren with melee upgrade can just run into a rax meleeing people and dropping mines. This is unacceptable. I can't even fathom how spawn camping has continued for this long. In all FPS games, a player should expect death when they set foot in an enemy spawn point.

Of course, we mustn't forget spawning, itself. If you play on a busy pub for more than 3 hours, you will hear a player ask how to spawn. Back when the steam release came out, you heard it multiple times per day. Guess what? The spawning interface is broken. I have to hit a key, click a colored circle, then hit that key, then I can click mouse1 to spawn. But if I don't want to hit the first key the second time, I can hit another key to spawn. It's absurdly complex and none of it is effectively communicated to the player.

The game designers need to think long and hard about Empires' marketing target. Is it the existing hardcore crowd? Is it the tiny casual crowd?

We need those pubs. We need their players to have fun and become hardcore players. If this game continues to snub its casual crowd, it will die.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  16. RKB53

RKB53 Member

I was saw a guy placing mines, so I jumped on his mine behind him to blow him up...
    No ammo :D

17. Demented

Demented Member

I love doing that.
    I almost wish the mines didn't have a minimum activation time just so he doesn't get a chance to run away.

18. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I really don't see it as a flaw. Let me give you an alternative; research is queue-able, a safe comm will just place buildings and talk to people from then on. An unsafe comm will boomtank more and raeg because he's bored.

Attacking the commander doesn't do that much because he just runs over people and spends most of his time building defences. With the extra addition of keeping an eye on research, he's got just that much pressure on him to have to juggle things. Otherwise, i'd be like...why don't we all just have individual research we do on our own, and drop our own buildings with our own personal res, and build our own vehicles with our wages, and do away with a commander entirely.

It's a slippery slope. You might not see that a research queue really has anything to do with it, but with any kind of comm who knows what they're doing, in the first 20-60 seconds they've decided their research path and just need to queue it. After that, i'd just be another base builder, crossing my fingers for someone not to steal the CV while i'm building. Other comms would boomtank more instead.

It's not like there's really a bad reason for it, but if you're going to queue research, there's really no need for the commander to be the one who does it. You mayaswell just vote on 5 or 6 different research paths at the beginning of each map and then just let it play out.

With regards to the rest of your post...this forum is a minefield. Only way to change that is get more people who aren't trolling to stay...but that's likely kinda difficult.

p.s. you should have seen mass targets... if research makes you cringe, mass targets would have been like... flaying you slowly.

19. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

20. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

ahahah, i knew it was "my argument" :evil:
    but seriously distracting the comm can even close the gap of building the radar a few minutes late. also i have no issue whatsoever to keep an eye on the research counter. i didnt have this issue when there was none either (i have a clock with seconds right next to my computer)

playing this game is a lot about psychology (its true in most onlinemultiplayer games)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011