Starcraft II

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Thor, May 19, 2007.

1. Caelo

Caelo Member

lol but CNC3 is still cool to play once in a while (read 1 hour a week) :)

2. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

im glad SC2 is simply SC++. i mean sc hit the nail on the head as to what a great RTS should be (if it has no FPS aspect that is), so why do any major changes and risk screwing it up?

3. Caelo

Caelo Member

worst thing ever was Galactic Civilization ---> GCII
    They totally destroyed the entire game and went from macro-managing your empire to super uber micromanaging :/

4. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

because people enjoy playing something new and different.
    The biggest rush I get out of games is when I am new to them in MP, learning new stuff all the time. Once I get more into the same ol same ol strategy, tactics and epic moments it just gets old fast, been there done that feeling and would probably rather play some indie game with fugly graphics than something I have already done for the last 5 years.

Not saying starcraftII isn't gonna own, or other games where the major elements of gameplay rely on their predecessor, like Quakewars, CNC3 or whatever, all very enjoyable, and could be for a long time if you get into competetive play or the community. Just isn't the same and I for one would've rather seen them take a more daring path than take most of the same units and refine them.

That said, I'll probably buy it anyway :P

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  5. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

The biggest disappointment for me is their new art direction with the sequel. To be honest, its much too cartoony, in my opinion. I think the engine looks too much like WC3 (which, being a warcraft game was supposed to be more exaggerated). I was hoping for a much darker look and feel to it. It really saddens me that Blizzard couldn't have been a bit more creative artistically instead of just falling back on the art style of their Warcraft games.

6. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

well, I don't buy many games, but this one looks damn good. I really liked the cinematic bit where the prizoner gets in his armour. i just wish i'd been able to see him fight.

7. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

^ya, but it must suck being welded into a suit of combat armor.

8. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Better than it being inserted into slot A I guess.

9. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

It does like cartoony at first, but after I watched all the gameplay videos 5 times over, and playing Starcraft on b.net for two days (almost 18 hours), it really does keep old school starcraft art style. Its like supreme commander, you hate it to hell at first savoring the ye olde school Total Annihilation.

10. KILLX

KILLX Banned

apparently, Blizzard is considering a subscription feee for playing online. not WoW online, just to play your normal free with a RTS online. When asked, it was a "no comment" situation. Translation: "we don't want to tell you because you will get pissed off at us."

11. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

For those of you who think SC2 looks like WC3:
    It's Blizzard's 3D art.
    Blizzard's 3D art will remain to be their 3D art. WC3 was the full 3D translation of Wc2 into 3D. Don't you think their 3D translation of SC into SC2 will look somewhat similar? They don't have to make the game look like Company of Heroes or change to the Unreal Engine or something.

12. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

I am so glad someone said something like this.

13. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

If thats true Ill probably get it just for single play campain, but when it comes to online and I have to pay ill say up yours to Blizzard. WoW I think is expensive for what little they have to do. To charge for a RTS online when all that is needed is to host the message boards people use to connect and play is bullshit. When your actualy playing you no longer even are connected to there severs unless they force it!:mad:

14. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

That is SO not going to happen. If it does, blame Korea.
    If they did, it would probably make Starcraft 2 the most pirated game ever.

15. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

If they plan a shit stunt like that, I promise that Starcraft will loose ALOT of sales... Ill just turn to private servers then... Up yours Bnet in that case...

I hope its just a rumor though and nothing more...

16. Vader6

Vader6 Member

They probably didn't comment on a subscription fee because they're not sure yet whether they'll do it or not.

17. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Or maybe because its some rumour that was spread by WoW fanatics that can't imagine anything else out there other than other WoW related things.

18. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

if they comment then soon every blog will have on it that they even looked at and considered such a thing.

19. KILLX

KILLX Banned

or they could have said no and joked, making it seem like the idea is totally ridiculous. by doing the no comment thing, their saying we dont want bad press, go away.

20. Vader6

Vader6 Member

Starcraft 2 is actually just a rumor by the WoW fanatics, go home, nothing to see here.