Spawn with vehicles

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Señor_Awesome, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

So a couple notes: I'm pretty sure this is not an entirely new idea, and I'm also definitely not saying it's a good idea.

What if players could spawn from vehicle factory by creating a vehicle while dead?

Effects on gameplay:
    • Vehicle factories as spawn points (that cost money)
    • Difficult to communicate to player that they need to have money to spawn vehicle to spawn in location
    • Reduced time from spawn to vehicle creation for learned players
    • Jeeps would be kind of silly for this
    • Commanders who want team to spawn vehicles could, in a drunken rage, recycle all their raxes (this is in the 'con' category, btw)

I'm sure there's more that I missed. Thoughts?

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

It might not be awful, considering it isn't hard to dump an apc right outside a vf anyways. It's just like you said though, it's kinda hard to explain which dot on the minimap you can spawn in. Or actually, if you made it so vfs you want to build from had a little tank icon instead of the dot it might be fine. Clicking said tank pops open the vf menu and you build from there.

Effects could be pretty minor and just slightly speed up the game.

3. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

It sounds like it would be quite hard to implement from a coding point of view. That is, so far in the game there have been large pains taken to ensure that a player has to be present for most interactions.

Though I suppose if you linked the vehicle menu from death it would teleport you into the vehicle as normal. Not sure.

From a game perspective...I don't know either. I would probably like it a bit just because I'd be able to spawn as a jeep, but...I'm sure there's a potentially gamebreaking way to use this.

4. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

I love the tank icon idea, that would differentiate it pretty well. And you are right, would probably speed up the game.

One of the reasons I made this thread was I was wondering if there was some obvious way to abuse this or if it was gamebreaking.

The reason I even put this out there is I was thinking about other RTS games, where you can create infantry or roll out vehicles, where in empires you get infantry who roll out vehicles. So I thought why not let people spawn as the vehicles they want to get instead of making them walk to the VF (aside from the addition that a base could just consist of a vf and no barracks).

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

spawning from a vf alone, especially if you can spawn right into a tank, is a bad idea because it will turn the vf into an offensive building. get 2 engis somewhere, have them put up the vf in no-time while the rest of the team killspawns into heavies.

a way out would be to say, "you can do it as long a there is a spawn close enough". this is not good either because you could still do it just spawn an apc.

so we reduce it to, "as long as there is a barracks close enough". now this is trickier. it might put the owers of that combo into too much of an advantage since atm you can prevent them from getting into the vf (especially if placed badly by nub comms), it might - like lazybum already pointed out - not be that big of an impact at all. also its still just one building what stops you from the first argument.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  6. Lazybum

The only game breaking thing is someone plopping a ninja vf somewhere and suddenly 10 heavys, but I don't think that'll ever happen really and it takes no effort for the commander to first pop out an apc then start spamming tanks for people to jump into. Trickster has done similar stuff, though I don't think he did the apc thing, people just spawned right next the vf in a rax.

I will say even if you could potentially make the vf your base you have to deal with no one being able to spawn because there's no room in the vf if an enemy gets in there. And the fact it costs money. I know jeeps are cheep, but that's a bit of a waste and it'll just clog up the vf if people are spawning there just to deal with something as infantry. So I still see people plopping raxes down next the vf.

7. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

inb4recycleraxforvfeveryround

Because you know that's exactly what would happen. Any half decent comm would just recycle the barracks for the VF, knowing that there's almost no risk to it. Especially on higher income maps.

8. flasche

i think it is its convenience what would make it a really attractive strategy. all you have to do is press whatever you bound kill to and spawn a heavy right into their base. you could actually get people doing that. (no matter which of the above version)
    walking into the vf might sound like not much, but it really is a huge difference. you could die or even worse have to run for 5 seconds ...

9. Lazybum

Mmm, well for some maps it wouldn't work out well. No one has wages at the very start, so people can't spam jeep. If they did commander ain't dropping refs for a bit. What do get for recycling the rax, 100 res? It isn't much at all, the cost of an empty apc is like 115 I think. It simply isn't worth it I think.

For the maps with lots of res they are going to drop a vf in the first 3 minutes anyway probably.

That sounds true, but at the same time it's a lot of effort just to get people to spawn in an apc or some ninja rax. Besides, vf's are bigger and easier to see from a distance, not to mention they have a larger footprint making it a bit harder to squeeze in some places.

10. flasche

sure theres methods to spawn into the midst of the enemies base, but not inside 50t of steel armed with nuclear warheads.

11. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Pretty much this.
    On the other hand, you could always make it impossible to recycle the last remaining barracks though and add no remaining barracks for X seconds = auto surrender.

12. flasche

add this, independent from the original suggestion

13. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Alternatively, make the starting barracks recycle for 0 res, or just non-recyclable.

There are few rounds that start with recycling the starting rax that lead to good gameplay imo.

14. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

This sounds suprisingly not terrible.

Thing is, i can already tell you some problems with that though, like selecting two spawns at one time breaking this, or the equation not taking flag/map/apc spawns into account.

15. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

both of those would be programming errors/oversights and candles would be to blame. :P

16. flasche

if the timer is two minutes and you have just an apc left, you either have enough time to build a rax, kill their comm or die anyway because you have a bunch of tanks on your ass. (goes for both comm and apc) its not like you could be picky in such situations anyway, either drop one, win or have it end.
    same for flags.

maybe make it 3 minutes so that it doesnt end before the last sticky explodes in the one out of a few hundred games where last minute apc rushing against a stronger enemy actually works out ...

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  17. complete_

complete_ lamer

too easily exploitable