Some screenshots of the new vehicle textures

Discussion in 'Art' started by -=SIP=-, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Unfortunately I'm not actually very good at texturing, I can do tiles quite well but not unique textures.

As it's the lines that are most visibly poor resolution, it'd be quite hard to improve it without someone who can actually draw.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

neat chris :D

3. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

dont the devs have like the original files laying around somewhere? maybe megel has some? like the high res layered files?

4. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

lol yeah the source engine! woot

5. Zealoth

Zealoth Member

Well, it is better that MW2 engine so far.

How 2 texture?

6. Empty

Empty Member

We're on the orange box engine.
    IE the same engine Episode 2 TF2 and portal used.
    They don't all look like something a texture artist shat out.

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

source engine is very tolerant on most places in tiering up the graphics

in other places its like an old granny, but mostly its quite scaleable

8. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

It's funny, you can't follow your own advice? I thought you said it was easy, just do this and this and that and this.

:p

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

No I said retaining AO data is easy, which it is, and which I did.

I said restoring resolution was possible, which it is, however it is not particularly easy if you aren't a good 2d artist or texturer, and I'm not. I also said it was really boring, which it is, and I don't really plan on doing boring things to make the horrible textures horrible in high definition.

10. dizzyone

That and you also said this:

Most of the things on the original texture are rendered diffuse, not just handpainted, the handpainted part can be done by anyone. You could also just render a higher res version of this if you had the high poly version.
    So really, you've just proved to us that your way of doing it requires loads and loads of time and also a very high painting skill, compared to just having the high poly and rendering, with a little bit of touchup.

Of course, in theory you're completely right, but what a waste of time for a discussion if you can't even do it yourself.

11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yes and I did all of those things, but none of them involve adding resolution, I can salvage almost all the AO data that is in the original texture and I used it to create the more 'dirty' skin in the screenshot. What I cannot do and never claimed to be able to do is magically create more data to increase the resolution, that is a different skill, and while possible, it is somewhat beyond my limited abilities.

[​IMG]

This is basically AO data, it isn't what you'd get from an AO render, but it's AO data, most of this would be added afterwards by hand, but for the purposes of texturing it is all shadow data and its primary purpose is to show where the indents are, if it's an indent it's dark so all the seams between plates and edges of things are dark, things that protrude from the vehicle surface are lighter.

You can basically get this by just lifting the blue channel from the existing texture, and you can then overlay this onto any other texture you like, and you can make fairly easy adjustments to this because it's just a black and white texture. If you want some areas to be lighter you can just go over it with the dodge tool.

You can combine this with overlay effects like glows to smooth the effect a little bit, and you can also use it with blend modes like burn to make it less monochrome, a burn effect would change the colour of the underlying material, you can use a bit of all three if you want.

This is the data you'd get if you rendered an AO map from a modelling package, cut it down to the same resolution, and added in all the hand painted details from the basic texture, and you can overlay this onto the camo texture to get the same dirty look as the original.

What you cannot do without some skill is make this 2048x1024, but that has nothing to do with salvaging the original texture and that was not the original request. As I said increasing resolution is merely possible, not trivial.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  12. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Imo its easier to unwrap it again than altering the resolution.
    But bevor that the models need some work, removing double parts,
    reducing the polys on parts like the hatches etc.

13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Or a complete remake considering they're all horrible. If you modify the geometry at all you're going to have to remake the texture from scratch because it won't have the same UV coordinates so you may as well replace the model.

14. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

If theirs something like the dark art of modeling, the guy who made those low polys mastered it.

15. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

I really see no point in developing Empires on current engine with awesome's Valve networking support. :P I can just add SSAO and that'll correct for "micro" shadows.

I think that Duke did transition to low-poly. :P

16. dizzyone

Yeh, Duke is awesome.

17. dizzyone

*cough* firefox refusing to show images on my pc...

So just noticed that picture, and I compared it with the new camo's, I like what you did there, these should be used to update the camo's.

18. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Personally I prefer it without. Makes tanks look cleaner, dislike grubby vehicles, suggests lack of maintenence, reduces faith in operational efficiency, voids warranty.

19. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

ill void your warranty if you two don't stop crying.

20. dizzyone

CONTRAST.