Solution to comm vehicle stealing

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by jragbir, Dec 18, 2008.

1. jragbir

jragbir Member

Since its becoming a problem with the new players following 2.2, I have thought of a solution. The person who's voted in at the beginning of the match should get some sort of pop up box or a radio message saying "Requesting permission to enter the comm vehicle" if someone who wasn't voted in tries to enter the vehicle. Similar to the message when you try to join a locked squad. The voted in comm has to allow it for someone else to enter. Then if the request has been granted, the voted in comm should be given an option to give all commander "rights" to the person he/she allowed to enter the comm vehicle. This is because the person who was voted in may not want to/doesnt know to command and was voted in by mistake. So now the person who tried to get into the comm vehicle is now the person who will be getting messages when someone else tries to enter the comm vehicle.

Do you guys follow? I think its fool proof unless a greifer/noob was voted in at first. (F S SPACE!)

Further discussion into this suggestion has brought up the fact that if the comm driver is killed in an area with no barracks or friendly infantry nearby, it could be troublesome for that friendly team to rescue it as they have to wait for permission to enter the comm vehicle. My remedy to this is to have the comm vehicle unlock itself AS SOON AS the voted comm is killed. Now the nearby friendlys can easily enter the vehicle and drive it out as if this suggestion was never implemented.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  2. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

In case of emergency, that CV is fucked. The few seconds it takes for the person attempting to enter the CV to receive permission can make all the difference, and result in that team losing.

3. [PRKL] Werihukka

[PRKL] Werihukka Member

I think that this could really work if commander could lock the CV, but it would unlock automatically when it's in danger (attacked).

4. jragbir

jragbir Member

To Jessiah: I don't really see that as a problem now that the comm is locked for one minute at start. After that it's the comm's fault for driving it in dangerous territory and being intercepted by the other team...

But if I were to propose a solution to that I would say give the "true" comm the ability to remotely open comm vehicle to all players.

Besides, this situation where the comm vehicle is fucked SHOULDN'T happen with my suggest in the first post. That shit only happens when griefers drive into the enemy base and ditch the comm.

Besides, if your dumb enough to get the comm trapped in an area with no barracks nearby then you deserve to lose. :/ you have to draw the line some where...

5. jragbir

jragbir Member

Another solution to what Jessiah is saying is unlock the comm vehicle when the commander vehicle is at 3/4 of health. That should be sufficient enough.

6. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Again, that can be too late. If the comm is stuck, or trapped, or about to get hit by enemy armour, any delay can cause the team to lose.

7. jragbir

jragbir Member

I disagree Jessiah. If those things were to be implemented then the comm has very sufficient means of surviving. You give very little input :/

8. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

*facepalm*

If the enemy is attacking the CV, and the CV is empty, a delay of even 1 second can = failure. If you base an unlock off of health or being attacked, then critical time is wasted. Time is of the essence. No delays are acceptable.

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I dunno, I still see times when the comm gets pwned even when not going far forward. But the real reason I would say no to this, is it becomes veeeery unhelpful when the real commander has timed out or crashed. While timing out, you have a lot of time while someone can't get into the cv.

10. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

If this was implemented, the CV would be automatically unlocked the instant the commander is no longer a player of their team. But I doubt this will be implemented, as it just plain bad. It helps solve griefing, but also makes it easier to get killed in normal gameplay.

11. jragbir

jragbir Member

I can't really think of anything else to say to that besides of what I said in this post:

I still stand by my suggestion. The comm should be able to open the vehicle remotely. Comm griefing is becoming a very big issue and sacrifices like this should be made to stop it. It isnt a very big sacrifice in my opinion. The comm shouldnt be driving around near enemies and far from a barracks period.

As Jessiah said, if the comm crashed then CV would be open to anyone. As for timing out, F S Space, but that has nothing to do with my suggestion >.>

12. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Again, this is fail. Any solution that creates something that needs a solution is FAIL. You're fixing one problem, and creating another. It's a waste of the devs time since if they do do this, they then have another issue to fix caused by it.

13. jragbir

jragbir Member

Nah, it's really not. Do a target sweep before getting out of the comm to build something. Don't drive far from barracks and your general team population. The comm isn't a boom tank despite popular belief. Can we get a dev's opinion on this maybe?

14. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Yes, I know that, but what you fail to understand is that some people do that anyways. It's called advanced tactics, where you actually use the CV for something, or get out of it. Where you aren't a big fucking moron that sits in the CV the entire game doing shit all but comming. It's rather common among experienced commanders, and guess what? Sometimes people make mistakes and end up in a bad situation. This suggestion then makes that bad situation a game over situation.

15. jragbir

jragbir Member

I know what your saying. There arent many comms who do that, usually the more experienced one. In that case, then that experienced comm will know exactly how to unlock the comm vehicle in case he does get in bad situation. Im not saying all commanders should sit and stare at the research timer (unfortunately its quite common) but they should have a little more discretion to the fact about how valuable the comm vehicle is.

How about this: If the comm is killed then the comm vehicle is unlocked. That make sense to me unless what you mean by "get[ing] out of it" means going to the frontlines in a tank. Leaving the comm vehicle unattended is unacceptable in my opinion unless u a have a ridiculous amount of turrets around it and are about to win the game. But it doesnt take much time for ninja to get his mines down :/

16. Slice

Slice Member

You still have no idea what he is talking about. Lets say its mvalley, after 60 seconds the CVs are free and all the infantry are fighting in middle, leaving the North not captured. Both CVs rush and when they get there they both build a barracks, but one comm. lets say NF, gets kill by the BE comm. Now NF won the battle in middle and are rushing into help the comm. NF comm gets walled in and the BE barracks is done building. All the NF engies rush to free their comm and when the decon the walls, OH SHIT THEY HAVE TO VOTE NOW.

17. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Also, it's not a good solution if it creates another problem. Which this does.

18. Spooky

Spooky Member

I can see where that one second could come in handy, but this is honestly a good idea...

also the voted in comm could just go afk and leave the comm vehicle...

19. jragbir

jragbir Member

What do you mean vote? Have you read my suggestion clearly? Please read and respond to this...

Same goes to Jessiah... This fixes your little problem created by my solution.

Going afk in the comm vehicle can be remedied by good old F S Space, once the team realizes it that is.

Im gonna edit the first post to include my solution in which the comm vehicle becomes stranded in an area without a nearby barracks or driver.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2008
  20. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

I kind of like it the way it is now for a few good reasons.

First off, if you lose because of a griefer, then you only lose 1 game. Sure it sucks, but even I can deal with that.

Second, you now know who is a shitty commander, and if you vote for him again, the you deserve to lose.

Also, commander kick works well. there is a change it might be too late, but most of the time when someone greifs, its at the beginning and the game is still salvagable.

If anything, empires needs less pussy admins who aren't afraid to kick an arsehole.