So I played a bit.

Discussion in 'General' started by Emp_Recruit, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Why is it homo. I'm pretty sure its pretty prevalent already and if empires goes big it will become even bigger problem. You can just enforce sv_pure 1 on player models/player materials/weapons/mines and that eliminates 99.9% of the problem. People can still use all the custom stuff they want to. Only thing it would do is block people mathacking and server load would be minimal as its not that many files.

2. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Server load is ridiculously minimal, only needs to calculate the CRC's when starting the server and client only needs to recalc CRC's and reload assets that server won't accept. If a client has everything customized, his first load time will be a bit longer, but after that it's the same again

3. recon

recon SM Support Dev

According to our esteemed developers, having nerfed weapons that make the game boring are "better."

Meh, agreed I suppose.

Agreed.

You have no idea. It's feasible to drive an arty and command at the same time on money (though that map really doesn't count).

Because without it scouts are COMPLETELY useless?

It's not on because Trickster likes his modified jeeps, and because I've yet to become annoyed enough to turn it on. The argument has always been that it's a performance issue until Steam, but the only performance issue is when the server starts up, and it's not like we are worried about boot up time at 5am when no one is even on the server.

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Not true entirely. Using sv_pure WITHOUT steam means that every single file has to be cached or some shit, meaning a server boot can take upto 10 minutes. Suffice to say, considering how often Empires servers crash, this isn't viable.

Once steam comes then any server can put sv_pure on if they want. I just said that I wouldn't personally on my own server. You can put sv_pure 1 on and whitelist what you want to allow. But I mean, in your example there. People use the starwars models/skins, so that's that banned from that. Textures obviously get taken out in the process. Weapons like smg3 model, NFAR AK47 model, etc, they go too. There's no problem with doing that in a clan match, but on my own server, I won't enforce that publicly. Any other servers can do that with ease if they want to.

5. complete_

complete_ lamer

Nope

you wish, i'd hit you in the face before you have time to crouch brosef

6. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

against infantry it does damage? no shit

Since when did anyone use the term rpg sniping to talk about infantry? It doesn't even make sense in the context I used it in.

7. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

This isn't true. You can white list everything but like maybe 40ish files that are the most useful for mathacks.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Pure_Servers

" Mode 1 Details

In this mode, the list of content that the server enforces is specified in the file pure_server_whitelist.txt, which is contained in the server's hl2 directory. Server administrators can edit this file to change which content clients are allowed to modify. For example, the server could specify in this file that clients are allowed to modify sounds, but not materials or models. "

"When the server loads its first map with sv_pure set to 1, it has to calculate file CRCs for all files marked as allow_from_disk+check_crc.
    Generally, this set of files should be set to the minimal set of files. If, for example, the pure_server_whitelist.txt file had a line like materials\... allow_from_disk+check_crc, the server would pause for a very long time the first time it loaded a map because it would calculate CRCs for every single material file in the game.
    Setting sv_pure to 2 will not affect server performance because the server does not need to calculate CRCs. "

8. complete_

complete_ lamer

it has since people (me) have started using it to "snipe" people with

9. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

SMG3 NFAR AK47 could easily be kept for 1st person view. All you need to do is enforce it for stuff that shows up on the 3rd person view. You could keep hud changes, sound changes, vehicle changes, 1st person weapon changes.

So here is the Pros and Cons

Pro:

You prevent the most easy to create maphack ever that is probably already extensively used and will explode upon release on steam.

Cons:

You lose out on a very very small portion of custom content that is arguably cheating anyways(more visible models/skins).

10. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Yeah I'm sure someone who joined in 2009 was the first person to use the rpg to "snipe" people. My post was obviously about buildings; you're retarded.

11. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

Fixed.

12. complete_

complete_ lamer

bitch you dopnt know me

13. complete_

complete_ lamer

ill fukc you up

14. Demented

Demented Member

RAEG thread that touches on a couple valid issues. *shrug*

I'm tempted to make 'wallhack' textures that use stipple alpha (a.k.a. screen door transparency) instead of translucency.
    You'll be able to spot the kiddies when they have seizures every 5 minutes, or swear they're seeing double.

15. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Strikes me as being pretty damn basic having pure on. It's not hard to make a new model where the enemy is pink or something, and walls are transparent AFAIK.

I pretty much agree with the entire list in the OP.

16. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

bra i already melted kingravens comp by pubstomping his ass come at me and I'll put you in the fucking trashbin where you belong, apem scrub

17. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Its actually ridiculously easier you can make things just show through walls and you don't have to make new models. If you can make a pink square in paint you can make models all pink. It literally would take more time navigating to the empiresmod folder than it would be to make a basic maphack at this point if you knew what to do.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  18. Trickster

Have you even tried using sv_pure without steam? Because I have, and I've run a whitelist test, and it all takes FUCKING AGES. Seriously, you can say "No it shouldn't do that", "no, it will do this", but if none of you have tested it then you have no fucking idea. ALL of the information in that wiki article is about games/mods with steam integration, not without. Either way it's irrelevant, because we'll be on steam anyway in a few weeks, at which point a whitelist is easy as piss to use and barely affects server boot-time at all. It's just that when the game has no .gcf to reference it makes things a lot more difficult. Recon can come back when he's actually tested it. But again, this is unimportant, as the moment we hit steam, the issue is gone, and the arguments are over. Any server can enforce pure to whatever extent they want.

19. recon

recon SM Support Dev

What were you including? I've watched other software generate CRCs, and it isn't that time consuming.

20. Trickster

http://www.forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?p=234509

So in other words, you are a dumbass. No (viable) pure until steam. Plus, on top of this, if you used pure before steam and people were using custom shit, it would just show up black and purple chequered. So on a pub server, we'd lose half the playerbase who does use custom shit, including legit stuff like the starwars stuff. In a scrim, they'd just dump custom shit onto the NF players, it'd come up black and purple (far brighter than the regular stuff), "crash", swap it over to BE, rejoin, BE are black and purple. So you accomplish nothing. People can still cheat.

It isn't viable until we have steam gcfs, end of.