Smoke grenades stop placement of buildings

Discussion in 'Support' started by Private Sandbag, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Smoke grenades stop placement of buildings.

i had half my team clustered around a ref for me to build it. in their bordom a scout started spamming smoke nades at the ref rock. it would not let me build, it showed as red in the ghost. i am 100% sure there was nothing else, no camras or player in the area.

2. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

thanks for the "cough" tip "cough"

3. Chahk

Chahk Member

Omg! sploiter! hardcode ban plz!!!

There is another "items that prevent building that shouldn't" discussion about ammo crates that do the same. And last longer than any 'nade.

4. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Wait wait, this sound useful and interesting.

5. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Is this really a bug, though? Sure, it's probably unintentional, but it makes sense to me as a feature. A smoke grenade causes brief disruption in the area where it's thrown; it would make sense to me that a scout could use that to delay building. Also, we know (from the dam in mvalley) that construction requires visual confirmation from above before it can begin (or something.) It makes perfect sense that heavy smoke would delay it.

Not by long, so it's hardly a major thing, but I don't think it's really a problem...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  6. flatmush

flatmush Member

I would agree that an enemy smoke grenade should stop building placement, but friendly smoke grenades and ammo boxes from any team should still allow an object to be built over them.

7. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

Was it on Midbridge? It's not really obvious on that map whether a building is too close to block. For example you can't build the ref on top of the clif (south middle or north middle) because a ref spot in the valley is so close that you have to walk through the bridge gate thing, down the cliff and destroy the ref before you can build anything.

8. Dragoon

Dragoon Member

You can place the ref with closed roof. Just change the camera angle. Alt I think is default. Than you can place it from side entrances. I use this also for MGT deployment.

9. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Hey... is it possible for the comm's view to get stuck in there by zooming in when the roof/doors are open, then having them closed?

I suppose you could just hit E and F2 to get out, but it's a funny thing to think about.

10. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

You don't even need to change the view angle. right around the edge of the roof where there is a right angle, if you aim there, the box will go green, without being able to see inside.

11. Dragoon

Dragoon Member

If your comm view get stuck click on the units tab, than right click on any player on the list. You view will jump right to him, thus freeing you.

Very useful on a map like midbrigde where you are confronted with towering mountains close to the edges. Of course you could pre-save a player in control group, but this creates for me enigmatic behavior, if the player is not on foot.

Something I must tryout later. Thanks.

12. KILLX

KILLX Banned

I dont think its the smoke blocking it, but the grenade itself. if theres a mine on a res node you cant place it either. until the smoke finishes deploying from the grenade, its there (the grenade model remains until the point where the smoke stops thickening, maybe a bit longer, and that model blocks, because its till an object).