Slow gameplay or fast gameplay, what do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by [PRKL] Werihukka, Sep 3, 2010.

?

What do you prefer?

1. Slow gameplay (low damage and accuracy, high health, etc...)

11 vote(s)
    18.3%
  2. Faster gameplay (more damage, more dying, more pain, more gain)

49 vote(s)
    81.7%
  1. Empty

Empty Member

Mootant's ideas scare me sometimes.

I'm not sure if it's because they're so bad, or because I think he's dead serious about every single one.

2. [PRKL] Werihukka

[PRKL] Werihukka Member

As I think Trickster said already, they are not the same value-wise. It's close gameplay-wise, though. The values of 2.12 are not compatible with 2.2-> and it breaks the game as I remember being said many times already.

And just to add some more thoughts about the gameplay:

I think rushing should be encouraged and made easier. In the current version at least, rushing means suicide, which makes the battle to not shift into a direction or the other in some maps. Most games end up stopping at the point where the teams collide and then it's all about who has the most resources and gets better tanks. It's too predictable at that point. I'm happy that apc spawns are back, though. It really fixed this issue to some extent especially open maps, but it still remains and the gunplay is boring as hell, because rushing gets you killed and camping only makes your team lose slower.

It's a lose-lose situation. No one benefits from rushing or camping. If the other team starts to camp their own base, the round shouldn't last for 20 minutes. I've seen this happen too many times already.

3. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

always been like that afaik its hardcoded

edit: also falloff always existed but was hardcoded pre 2.2(?)

4. Zeke

Zeke Banned

nope. :p
    (unless parameters got removed in 2.24/2.25)

5. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

It has always been like that. You always get at least the static spread for position you're in (jumping, ducking, prone or standing). In some versions this spread might have been very low.

6. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

Weapons, especially bear and nfar are still lethal in less then a second on medium distance independent of the fact youre staying crounching or prone. Realise you have to aim at the enemy in order to kill, stop bitching. Only issue is sometimes when u stay behind a wall or a flat map object (e.g. walls haha) the accuracy goes WHOOO and u cant hit shit unless u wait there for few seconds. Acc goes down again when u use ironsight on such positions. (visible on your crosshair: grows suddenly for a blink of an eye before it dissapears)

Being unfamilar with the weapons behaviour and unable to learn to use it means incompetency. Accept the fact you are not skilled, dont blame the weapons.

7. [PRKL] Werihukka

[PRKL] Werihukka Member

The point you're trying to make, that I don't get, is irrelevant to this topic.

But some of you might have tested the Trickster's custom scripts on the EU main server, so what are your thoughts? My general opinion about them is that I really don't want to play the game without them anymore. They seem to be more balanced, fun and fast based.. they make the moment of battle shift during the game instead of staying at the selected spots until better research like it does with the official scripts.

What I don't understand are the haters of the 2.12-based scripts. So far the arguments have been that either they can't kill others with better damage and accuracy or that they don't like the fact that people die when they are shot. And one argument has been that anything custom is not good, because it is custom... Atleast I have many pages of arguments supporting more effective weapons here for you all to see.

So, it all comes down to what people prefer. I truly prefer more effective weapons and the way the weapons were in Empires at 2.12 version. In general, I like games where guns hurt people.

8. Zeke

Zeke Banned

2.12 style scripts = ftw.

finally the action is back again :D

9. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

I like Tricksters Scripts, but i still will not cry about the 2.26 scripts not being close to that. I dont believe in your argument that theese scripts bring shift into battles because defenders usually get the first shot and with those scripts the first hit is about to kill you. Even though there are still possibilitys to crush out of a besieged situation (Empty and Blackkopper will agree)

10. [PRKL] Werihukka

[PRKL] Werihukka Member

We'll anyway, those scripts makes the game more enjoyable still. I could live with just those scripts being official. But of course some problems will still exist, I don't deny that. Atleast the gameplay is more fun with those scripts.

11. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

keep in mind u can only speak for yourself. i bet noobs would disagree since they would be pwnd before recognizing being shot. Noobfriendlieness = depending factor on increasing playerbase of a game.

12. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I haven't played these scripts, but the great thing about the old scripts is you could pick it up within a few minutes or so. Every weapon was deadly, shot fast, and basically had you hopping around like a crazy monkey. It was pretty arcadey, and so, easy to pick up.

13. [PRKL] Werihukka

[PRKL] Werihukka Member

More effective weapons are more effective to new players, too, you know?

14. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i started this game when weapons were deadly and i enjoyed that (ive played a lot other FPS before though)

15. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

well i palyed with tricksters scripts last night. after everybody left on district and i was about to leave as well some noob joined. i killed him thrice and that scared him away

16. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

You all say you like fast gameplay but that's not true if you look at all the hordes slowly waiting for nukes and rails on slaughtered.

17. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

I think people forget how much complaint there was during 2.12 that the gameplay was too fast. An APC rush could end a map within 5 min. After a few consecutive maps of that, a lot of people would rage.

18. Zeke

Zeke Banned

that was since apcs were the fastest vehicle which in the right hand was more deadly than anything.

i used an apc on the old pug thing on slaughtered...

i ran through the Sbend (by mountainclimbing... a thing which hardly excist nowdays) and went past 2 meds, 3 heavys and some arty tanks... I went for the enemy main and there i killed one arty tank (with the enemy team still going after me) and heavily wounded another + deployed my team mates which destroyed the whole enemy main... and then i saw the com, ran after it and killed it.

apcs were imbalanced to shit in some aspects before. (most importantly the firepower of the MGs in combination of the mobility leading to deadly firepower and the ability to easily dodge rockets. add some regen and you could kill inexperienced heavy tank drivers with ease... add spawns aswell and its party time)

19. [PRKL] Werihukka

[PRKL] Werihukka Member

Slaughtered has always been slow as hell. That can't be changed without altering the map itself.

Instead of 5 minute games, we can now have games that are decided in 5 minutes but played for 20 or 30 minutes mostly. I have to say that I prefer sudden victory or loss to being on the losing side for the whole half an hour and knowing that you can't win the round. I have to repeat myself, but too many times the game goes on and on and you know that you're going to lose. It's equally boring to know that you're going to win, but it just takes forever.

The players of this mod have always complained about things, that they don't know how to use, or encounter. That lead to overnerfing everything. People still complain about those same things they did then, because they haven't learned anything. The same guys that complained about mortar being too powerful in 2.1 version still are masters of catching the mortar shots from miles away and so on... The guys that wanted scout rifle to be nerfed now complaing about it not being removed and so on...

I'm not complaining. I just hope that we have reached the bottom of nerfing damage and buffing health and resistance. It's time to raise the damages again, because overnerfing leads into everything being acceptable in terms of balance even if they are not balanced. Weapons that are underpowered enough to be unsuable are ignored and nothing is done about it. Of course it's easier to acknowledge what is overpowered and just nerf it instead of finding out what is underpowered and buffing it. Buffing stuff makes people angry because people will think it's overpowered now just because it is more often used, when it is usable.

20. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Games lasted hours in 1.7 and it never seemed like it was over. You could always push back or hold on until a ninja. It was always like a team effort where the comm would basically be a look out for the ninja and the team would make some kind of distraction. And if you failed you would at least have fun trying. Epic ass games, I remember watching the little ninja on my mini map in there base holding my breath and crossing my fingers he could pull it off.