Sinking feeling (map idea)

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by SwampRat, Oct 28, 2006.

1. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

Edit: I've made my map now, version 2 at least
    Its a volcanic island which is sinking (ish), slowly forcing both teams to higher ground and then to the central crater. Theres a small town at the front of the island, with flags to be thrown out on some buildings (for little other than prestige) and an old refinery to capture. Nearish the BE start is a temple and graveyard with enough room for a higher base, NF have easier access to an area of parkland.

Additional version - emp_atol: the same but with prettier non-moving water. For those that like the scenery so much they dont want to drown in it.

MkII is out for sinking, adding a nicer minimap, smoke for refineries, minor fixes (see page 7 or 8) and a few foot paths over the hills to/from the middle. oh and roads.

[​IMG]

graveyard
    [​IMG]
    temple (if you can call it that)
    [​IMG]

Park
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Out dated pic of town (ie its now been spruced up and finished off)
    [​IMG]

Download here

Original post:

Morning

Broccoli said to post this here when i suggested it in a different thread. Would anyone fancy doing a map where the effect is that the island is sinking (but really its just the water rising, as thats easier to do). Each side has full cv and everything, but the res points are all on lower ground with a raised bit in the middle (not too much of a single hump as that'd be dull and get arty'd to silliness. As the water rises people would have to, if they hadnt already, move their cv to higher ground, and abandon their starting base. basically it forces the fighting into a smaller area until someone wins.

having res points on the lower ground levels only would stop one side camping the high ground - as if they did then they wouldnt be able to control the res as easily. and if someone has all of the high ground then the other team better hurry to get it back. once the res point and refinery is under water the calculator doesnt work so the ref would be vunerable, also speeding up the end game.

all high ground should be interconnected (i.e. there should be a single highest bit, not two hills that can end up separated - that would be pants if one side couldnt reach the other (without swimming).

what does anyone think? is having the water rising the only way or could the land (and respoints, and buildings etc) all go down smoothly (would let the island sink in a tilting way)?

it doesnt have to sink very quickly, it'd just be a nice twist. How long do rounds last these days anyway? (assuming no ninja, or is that the only way to end it? (personally i feel guilty if i pop the cv, even if its the other side's))

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  2. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

ooooooooooooooo.

Me likes.

3. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

This would be a complete lag-fest, and I'm not sure it's even possible. But rising water is definately a safe option.

I really hope someone turns this into a map. Just the idea of the space being constricted as the round progresses is brilliant. But would the rounds last that long if there is only a tiny island left? Could both factions be reasonably expected to survive that long?

4. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Its easy to do with func_water_analogs moving upward, rather than terrain moving downward.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2006
  5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

yes, only downpart is that func_water_analogs mess up the rest of the map (sounds of splashes while standing on a dry sot close to water?, sound of water itself not working 100%?, water might look, crappy etc...)

and i woud suggest adding a kill brush to the water witch slowly drains hp from units and (more inportantly) buildings in the water

and make shure there is not just 1 tip that is the highest, becous then both bases will probably lose there CV in really silly and idiotic ways

btw: im glad to be back after 1/2 year not on the forums :p

6. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

if maps have an average time of 30 min (i imagine its less) then it should be doable without seeming too fast? if theres say 10 min before the main area of res nodes start going underwater then that shouldnt be so long that you dont get a little sense of panic. even if only say a quarter of the map goes in a game, as long as it cuts off routes and/or res points it could be good

shame that noises and graphics might break though, not doing much (or any) mapping I hadnt been aware of that.

I dont know if buildings should get damaged, assuming that the slope isnt huge then there'll be quite a while where a building is surrounded by water without being too wet. once you cant stand near it engineers would be quite risky to repair it (and they cant at all once it goes under) so I wouldnt have thought its a problem. Don't vehicles already die in water or are special areas to do that?

anyway, please can someone have a shot at this?

7. supaste

supaste Member

This is a interesting idea. If some one was to make it it would be good to have dips in the ground and things so that when the water rose they would turn into fords and then into rivers as the water gradualy rose more.

8. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Actually, there's an even cooler possible idea here. Perhaps the game can eventually get to the point where both sides are constrained to tiny patches of land on which you can barely fit a base, but there's now enough water for...

SEA COMBAT!

This could actually be our first real water combat map. Crazy idea, I know, but it could work. We don't have any boats, though, I don't think, but someday in the future when we do, it'd be interesting.

9. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

appologies about dredging up a very very very old thread (still a shame noone's done in imho) but would this idea be stopped / spoiled a bit by the "you cant build under water" thing in the changelog? I could have asked somewhere else but i wanted the thread back :0)

mainly the question is i suppose how does the water stop building, does it have to be completely submerged to not allow it to build, would it break a building if water arose around it?

10. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

If the origin point of the model is beneath the water's surface, it can't be placed. I'm not sure if that's how it is, but it's the easiest way to do it.

11. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I'd guess it would be the origin, but why would you want to build underwater anyway? I thought that the point of this map was that space ran out?

12. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

yes, thats the point - i just didnt know how the prevention was being done and if it'd stop things working nicely (since water would be underneath everything and would have to move)

also you may want to do it in very shallow water for say a refinery as it'd probably be around long enough to make the money back. Also as the water got higher would that bug everything? or is the check just done at the start (would make sense).

13. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

the idea of an end game with next to no res, in a small area does not please me.

14. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Perhaps the higher areas have the better res points?

15. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

what about if it was on the side of a volcano, and lava gradually got worse and worse?

16. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Let me rephrase:

Any setup where either:
    A.) One side getting a certain res point unbalances the game
    B.) One side getting some set of points which eventually die, forcing a major land grab for the middle, causing fighting within the first minutes of the game. Whoever gets the most people their first, and prevails will have a firm upperhand for a long period of time.

It works fine in Badlands - the res points all seem equal (I think) so getting mid means only getting two res points. You can do the same by getting the two corner points.

17. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Here's an idea for a map:

largish build area in the center (with no res)

six res nodes around the outside, two pairs, two individual.

there's also one res node at each start point.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  18. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

this is a great idea... I think lava works best.... I was thinking inside a volcano would be even cooler than outside.

19. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

20. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

I've done some work on this and got a vaguely map shaped map together. I've yet to make the water move, although I think I know how it can work (my first attempts made the map crash). The setting is sort of dusk, there are street lamps to keep the roads from being dark (although the roads aren't very clear as I'm scared of overlays).

1: Back end of map, a lighthouseish thing and the rear entrance to the central crater
    [​IMG]

2:The central crater, there is a radio telescope thing on the crater edge (considering making this destroyed somehow, maybe just knocking it over) theres a metal hatch in the floor - eventually I plan to have several entrances to an underground missile silo type base
    [​IMG]

3:Front of the map, a little fishing village (will also have a hiddenish entrance to the underground base) built into the side of the hill which is currently made of placeholder blocks. Theres an old refinery here that can be captured
    [​IMG]

4:Similar, showing the NF starting base. Theres higher ground straight north or NF can go through the village and up the middle.
    [​IMG]

5:view south to the BE start, its a bit of a climb up for tanks but they can zigzag. The other option is to go east to the village. The path at the top of the picture joins up with the road at the top of the village.
    [​IMG]

6:flat bit north of the BE start, this is planned to have a church type building as an excuse for its existance. The NF equivalent will be a small park. In the fullness of time there will also be minor entrances to the underground base.
    [​IMG]

7:Above the village, up the hill is a winding road with destructible bridges, the refinery is captured in its smoking/flaggy glory.
    [​IMG]

8:Minimap picture (if I can make the blasted thing work) no idea why the top left corner is missing - its there when zoomed in. I only painted the refs in on the tga version, but heyho. There are two in each of the higher flat areas, one in the centre and one in each starting area. The flat area refs give 2 per tick each with the others on 1. The village ref gives 3 but is on lower ground so will get flooded (and turned off) sooner.
    [​IMG]

I wont be working much more on this for now as my work sees fit to make me do professional qualifications for which I need to do homework. pah.

anyway, constructive comments welcomed.