Show turret target area to engineers (possibly on minimap) when placing turrets

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Aquillion, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

While I'm not sure how how difficult this would be to implement, it would be really useful if engineers could see the potential range of their turrets when they have their tool out and are placing one. Possibly, it could be done like in TF2; possibly, it could just be drawn on the minimap, if that's easier. Really, the minimap seems like the simpler solution...

The range for radar / cameras could also be shown on the engineer's minimap when placing one... perhaps all friendly items of that type could have their ranges shown when placing one, to make it easier to place yours so it covers new ground? Showing all friendly turret ranges on the minimap when placing a turret would make it easier to place several turrets so that their ranges overlap the same area exactly and they all fire at once, too, which is usually good... or so turrets cover each other.

Oh. And if you have turret upgrade, it could show the range of your turret at each level when initially placing it (like concentric circles) -- or perhaps just level 1 and 3, since there's not usually a reason to stop at 2.

2. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

I like this idea. There should also be an option that when you have the turret selected in the calc thingy box, it should also show the range of your turrets, or optionally all turrets nearby. I like how TF2 did it, it showed the range without being obstructive, though it could have been a little more subtle. Since the turrets cant aim up, maybe just a transparent circle or glow or something coming from the turret placement model?

3. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

i do like this idea, sounds really good to me.

4. De_Ghost

De_Ghost Member

after a while it's just instinctive :)

5. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Sounds like a great idea!

6. Dannyboy

Dannyboy Member

I second this idea, since none of you said you support I'm second ^^

7. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Like it bla bla

8. Lucko

Lucko Member

Yea sounds good to me as well, it would definitely help in placing turrets.

9. Goose

Goose Member

I wouldn't mind a tf2 style type of thing to go along with the mini-map option. So you can visually see its distance from the ground and from the air.