Short range tank weapon

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by -=SIP=-, Sep 30, 2010.

1. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Mine should work like this:
    Rush the enemy. Unload your cannons. Retreat.
    (The reload time between the clips should be higher but 2 seconds seems to be hardcoded)

This should add some more dynamic and diversity to the tank battles.
    Currently all cannons are effective on middle and/or long range and you don't have a big advantage if you drive closer to the enemy.
    Result is often that many tanks on both sides are holding their side while they spam their cannons or missiles.
    A short range cannon will add some new strategies. If the way to the enemy is blocked (e.g. by walls) these cannons will be useless. But if they can break through they can own the enemy tanks.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

and wheres the difference to rails? :rolleyes:

3. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

That it fits on meds?

4. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

that it can quickly bombard enemy infantry and tanks once it gets close. rails are for firing from far distances. Theres a difference, rails is a combat weapon, this new plasma cannon is a hit-and-run weapon.

5. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

i think.. its more useful.. for AFV to use.. against LT lol.

6. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Flame gun... that would be epic in two ways.
    1) Setting troops on fire and doing dmg to other things
    2) Killing both you and your enemy's fps down to 2fps.

7. flasche

oh yeh med ... i totaly forgot they even exist :rolleyes:

now explain me why i should be researching meds? :P

8. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Isn't this obvious? They do more damage but you can't spam them from long distance.

9. flasche

who spams them from long distance? except at fcking huge immobile targets (barracks, vf, radar)

just ram into the sides, unload, profit ...
    most maps provide enough cover to do that ;)

so its bascially just improved railguns that kill nf-tanks even faster ... great -.-

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  10. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

As already explained you can also have them on medium tanks. And because of the buff for mediums in 2.25 they become quite popular (ok, you still see heavies more often).
    Therefore you should see it as alternative to ranged and HE cannon. Also it should be a cannon alternative to the salvos.

And of course it is a valuable tactic to drive with railgun next to enemy tanks. But often you have to use railgun from distance. As far as I see reason can be that on the other side many NF heavies which are waiting and it is just to risky to drive closer (typical situation on slaughtered or rainbowroad). Also often your teammates or walls are blocking the way.
    Therefore you can decide if you want a cannon which also can attack from range or a cannon which is limited to short range but does more damage.
    The same for buildings: Use railgun if you can only attack them from range. Short range cannon if you can drive directly into the base.

Another point will be the research path. If the short cannon replaces the plasma cannon it will be more secure to go for them as going for railguns.
    If the enemy attacks before research for railgun and heavies is finished you normally have a problem. Short range cannon will allow a fast switch to mediums and you can use them later on heavies.

11. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

its kinda cool SIP, it sure looks nifty, but I thought the point here was an anti infantry weapon? but we have chain guns for that... so, what was the point here again? Im all for new weapons dont get me wrong, new cannons are especially needed imo, but shouldnt a short range anti infantry weapon be bullet based?

I also really want to throw this idea out there, but I dont want to start a new thread for it - I think the tech tree needs a flak/chaff system, im not sure if flak is the right word, but chaff is that stuff that jets use to disengage homing missiles, I know theres been a thread on it, Chris knows what Im talkin about, he was there I think. Anyway the reason I think of it here, is that it could be a dual purpose weapon.

Chaff gun -

attached to barrel of tank
    has two shots per clip
    shoots a cloud of shrapnel that effectively stops most missiles going through it
    can be used against infantry in a pinch, but the effective range is very short

Im not trying to derail the thread, just wondering what people think of this idea? It could be a short research in mechanical or some other pretty generic spot, weigh very little, but it would help BE tanks close the gap to homing salvo NF heavies without getting hit by 16 rockets first.

I think I remember that the problem with this is rendering shrapnel, and I will stop talking now before I show how little I know about programming.

12. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

i really like it. i want an anti-missile weapon that could fit on MG slot. like chaff. or perhaps maybe a flare where the user must activate it at the correct time to make the missiles unlock target or follow the flare instead.

at the moment, homing salvos are fairly noob friendly, compared to rails. although the thing is, having defense against missiles still mean you are sacrificing a weapon slot to use it.. so i dont know if there are any significant advantage of using such a system.

13. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

You know, if you really wanted to kill two birds with one stone, you could give mediums a grenade slot and create an on-contact grenade that would be perfect for short distances.

That way you give mediums some kind of differentiation to make them not seem like a poor version of heavies (most everyone goes heavies now unless they're really losing, I love mediums and even I don't research them), and also give the game a short-range combat weapon. Winrar :D

p.s. ofc you restrict the weapon on apc's etc.

14. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

aw now that is super rad.

but why remove nades from apcs too?

15. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

great another bullet based anti infantry weapon which is not lag compensated? i prefere the rapid cannon. also i can pew pew closer infantry with it since it can hit closer to my tank then a chaingun ever could.

16. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

The idea for this weapon was never an anti infantry weapon. It should be like railgun mainly effective against tanks and buildings.
    The effectiveness again infantry can be easily adjusted by the splash range.

17. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I meant the contact nade (not all nades)...might be too devastating having something like that on an apc - considering how damaging they can be right now.

18. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

In terms of weapon function, I'd say short range weapons have a few possible uses:

1. Universal power, the shotgun idea would be this, works on tanks, also works on infantry, not massively powerful, but certainly very versatile within its range.

2. Extreme power, I generally disagree with this, against tanks and infantry adding super powerful weapons kinda sucks, even if you balance it with range it still kinda sucks because it's like giving every other player a scout rifle and giving the short range dude an AR, at close range that's going to suck for the long range dudes, either all weapons should be deadly up close, or none.

3. Niche power, this I do agree with, as a main battle weapon a gun cannot be too powerful, but something like a specific anti-wall or anti-building gun CAN be very powerful counterbalanced with short range, because buildings don't have to have fun. A short range gun which does exclusive damage against turrets, walls, or buildings would be a good addition to things like APCs or as a missile slot option, as would a gun which is short range, does normal damage against tanks/infantry, AND is good at anti-building as a cannon option.

It's a very good solution to the problem of stalemates, and a much better solution than super powerful arties which are far less fun than something that gets you all up in the enemy's grill, dawg.

19. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I would like to see this for apc as well. This way they can get the short range gun for defense. If its similarly as powerful as DUMG or HEMG which both are for tanks only(I don't give a shit about the tiny building dmg) they would have a choice of
    1) dmg everything in your face with the short range gun
    2) only dmg tanks with the special MG's(I don't even want to talk about Aids MG)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  20. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

is it possible to make a weapon that does high damage up close, but loses damage as the target is further away?