Short range tank weapon

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by -=SIP=-, Sep 30, 2010.

1. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

After playing the game below I was thinking that Empires is missing a tank weapon, which is only effective on very short range.

[​IMG]
    http://www.addictinggames.com/thanks-tanks-game.html

This niche could be filled for example by a (plasma) flame thrower.

If flame throwers are not wanted or not possible this can also be done with a cannon.
    I was thinking about these values:
    - Very low speed (below 1000)
    - high gravity (over 1.5) (standard cannon=0.5, grenade launcher=1.0)
    - Cycle time about 0.25 seconds
    - Damage about 20 (damage per second=80, rail gun=62,5, small arty=115)
    - 2 slot
    - can replace plasma cannon

Edit:
    Of course recoil have to be scriptable or disabled for this weapon. --> Recoil is no problem.

And in Empires this weapon could look like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkVaLrTmt-Q

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  2. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

I like.
    and it should set infantry on fire.

3. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

each nazi and soviet game needs flamethrower

4. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I agree actually...a short combat weapon is needed. A whole bunch of short combat weapons perhaps - considering most tank combat is done up close and personal.

Not sure about flamethrowers, but then again the only problem I have with them is how much infantry get pwned, rather than any vehicle objections.

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Blah blah scripts getting redone stop suggesting shit on the current scripts blah blah etc etc

6. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Flamethrower is only a theoretical option.

I also think that we don't need another tank weapon to pwn infantry. And beside of this it might be too much work to code this.

Therefore I posted some cannon values. Beside the recoil no coding is needed and the effectiveness versus infantry can be easily adjusted by the splash size.

7. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

What will be redone at the scripts?

8. Trickster

It's just a planned overhaul in the near future.

9. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

This never happened and hopefully will not happen because the tank weapon balance is currently not that bad.

But beside of this I don't think that a short range cannon is planned. And therefore the discussion for this weapon should continue.

10. Trickster

A short range weapon is planned.

11. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

is it made of fire?

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Personally I'd suggest a shotgun, shoots out in a wide spread, closer you are the more damage it does, easy to hit with.

Basicaly think the VS shotguns in lost planet, big giant things that shoot huge pellets and hurt like hell due to sheer force of lead.

13. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Done some testing (Gas turbine engine):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkVaLrTmt-Q

[​IMG]

Script:
    Code:
    "Plasma Cannon"
    	{
    		"Name"			"Plasma Cannon"		//name given when selecting weapons
    		"HUD Name"		"Plasma CN"			//name displayed in the weapon area of the vehicle HUD
    		"Description"		"This cannon fires a superheated shell able to transfer a large amount of heat into the target and put it into an overheated shutdown."		//description given when selecting weapons
    		"Icon"			"vehicles/gui/weapons/cn_med"		//icon drawn in the GUI
    		"HUD Icon"		"vehicles/gui/weapons/cn"
    		"Size"			"2"		//number of slots required when selecting weapons
    		"Type"			"1"		//0=machine gun, 1=tank cannon, 2=artillery cannon, 3=missile launcher, 4=grenade launcher, 5=aircraft bomb bay
    		"Cost"			"120"
    		"Team"			"ALL"		//team that can use this "NF" or "IMP"
    		"Research"		"Plasma Cannon Projectile"		//name of research item that must be researched before using
    		"Sound Firing"		"Vehicle_PC.Fire"
    		"Sound Impact"		"Vehicle_PC.Impact"
    		"Sound Reloading"	""

"Damage Type"		"GeneralPhysics"
    		"Ammo Type"		"0"		//for mguns only, 0 = nonarmor penetrating (no effect on armored vehicles), 1 = armor penetrating (hurts armored vehicles)
    		[COLOR="Yellow"]"Damage"		"20"[/COLOR]		//damage done by projectile
    		[COLOR="#ffff00"]"Speed"			"1000"[/COLOR]		//speed of projectile
    		[COLOR="#ffff00"]"Gravity"		"0.5"[/COLOR]		//effects of gravity on the projectile, only for projectiles
    		[COLOR="#ffff00"]"Heat"			"2"[/COLOR]		//heat added per shot fired (100 total heat added to vehicle puts it in an overheated status).
    		"Weight"		"70"		//weight in terms of effects on engine and weight restrictions for chassis
    		[COLOR="#ffff00"]"Cycle Time"		"0.25"[/COLOR]		//time between shots (all weapons other than MGs have limits of 0.1 as lowest)
    		[COLOR="#ffff00"]"Clip Size"		"30"[/COLOR]		//ammo loaded per reloads
    		"Total Ammo Clips"	"0"		//max ammo clips carried (0 is the same as not using clips)
    		"Reload Time"		"2.0"		//time to load one clip
    		[COLOR="#ffff00"]"Projectile Spread"	"5.0"[/COLOR]		//only applicable to machine guns at the moment
    		[COLOR="#ffff00"]"Heat To Target"	"0[/COLOR]"		//heat added to target on hit (a small amount of heat is also added to the target based on damage, this is defined within the armor script)
    		[COLOR="#ffff00"]"Inertia"		"0"[/COLOR]		//actually reverse to inertia, only applicable to cannons, artillery cannons, and grenades; affects how the speed of the vehicle affects the momentum of the projectile (higher inertia = vehicle speed will affect the trajectory of the projectile possibly causing it to veer off from a straight line or shoot farther or shorter)
    		[COLOR="#ffff00"]"Explosion Radius"	"100"[/COLOR]		//radius of damage sphere to hurt surrounding entities
    		"Explosion Force"	"100"		//force of explosion
    		[COLOR="#ffff00"]"Explosion Sprite"	"7"[/COLOR]

//only for missile launchers
    		"Dumb Missile"		"0"		//'1' if missile flies straight ahead
    		"Homing Missile"	"0"		//'1' if missile flies towards locked on target
    		"Guided Missile"	"0"		//'1' if missile follows crosshairs after launch
    		"Missile Range"		"0"		//max range in HL2 units (1 inch = 1) that the player can lock onto a target with a homing missile, or range from vehicle being fired from when a guided missile stops following the player's crosshairs
    		"Lock On Time"		"0"		//time it takes for a homing missile to lock onto the target under the player crosshairs
    		"Lock Range Modifier"	"0"		//modifies lock on time based on range (as range increases, lock on time increases based on the modifier: modifier * range to target + lock on time = total lock on time)

//explosion effects
    		"Explosion Speed"	"5"	//how fast the explosion sprite fades (15 is default fps)
    	}

14. Trickster

Hands up if you tried to click the play button on his picture thinking he'd found some way to embed the video. I did.

15. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

New Chemical Weapon (cannon)

since we are on the subject of short range weapons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HESH

Here's how it could work.
    The user's tank will carry 20 shells: 10 plastique shells and 10 igniter shells, that alternates. due to the alternating shells, the fire rate and heat will be similar to HE cannon.
    plastique, igniter, plastique, igniter, plastique.

**MAYBE.. instead of hurting the hull, it would damage infantry inside the tank by 25 damage**

-the user fires a shot and hits the left side of the enemy vehicle with plastique shell, and it does no damage. the user then fires another shot, this time an igniter shell, which damages the hull and ignore armor.

-now if the user fires a plastique shell and misses, but the igniter shell hits the target, it does no damage.

-the user hits the enemy on the left side of the vehicle. the enemy rotates tank and the igniter hits the "right side" of the tank. it does no damage.

this will encourage teams to have a few vehicles to use this weapon to increase the chance of having the igniter shell hit the plastique side. composite armor will render this weapon useless. the enemy will be notified of a plastique hit by having a white colored armor plate (green/yellow/red). The weapon is designed to ignore most armor plating and do weak damage to hull.

id suggest it being as 1 shell or 1 missile doing the job.. but then thats boring???? maybe...

pro:
    -can encourage teams of 2+ tanks to go and hunt enemy tanks
    -a weapon that can hurt hull, but can be nullified with correct research.
    *-a weapon that can hurt infantry inside vehicles.
    con:
    -i guess hard to code
    -overly complicated, sophisticated

16. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

why would i want this weapon?

either sips or alucards

17. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Therefore I have added the link. Haven't tried to embed the video. Is this even possible in this forum?

18. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

mine is to kill tanks differently?.. :S

19. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Now that's awesome, I now really want that thing in game.

20. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

yeh but i could just research any gun that does its job on its own :P