Server player limit

Discussion in 'General' started by Sgt.Security, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Oh man, thanks for reminding me about that. If I ever see hobbes joining nf on a comm map I instantly try to join his team. He makes games so much fun. He is like the only commander that I do that for though, everyone else I don't care who is doing it as long as it ain't me in the seat.

2. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Is true

But since not all games have a bajillion players & random chance isn't kewl, why can't we just force the number of noobs to be equal on each team?

This is one of those topics where I just scratch my head. We shouldn't have to discuss this. It's solvable.

3. 101010

101010 Member

I miss love story. He was the funnest com.
    half way through a round he would just completely for get what he was doing and just start randomly driving around. Normally talking random nonsense that no one could understood.

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

im talking about those who really have no clue about where to point a gun at, neither the average player, nor the top end. i was always talking about newbies, not noobs - i distinquish that.

just assume 5 different server sizes. 64, 32, 16, 8, 4. for the sake of argument theres only one newbie and all other players even eachothers skill all the time - except for one since there is this newbie.
    now please explain to me, why its not the 64player server, but the 4 player server where the new player will have the worst impact on the team and the worst gameplay experience aswell - i seem to be too dense to get it.

im wasnt talking about the chance of being able to stack due to equal team sizes, i was talking about the impact of each player for a team.

more new players is good, deffinately. but you need to cut new players more slack - they will feel less pressure in larger games. there is no issue when they run the wrong way, get distracted by some nice scenery and fire at the wrong guys - its not like there would be that many newbies anyway, and even if, on larger servers the will even eachother out more as canldes showed.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  5. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

In FN's dream world, every not-newb is there rushing the CV on his mark.

6. flasche

a despotic (backseat)commander probably is the worst experience for a newbie.

7. ImSpartacus

*raises hand*

That's me. I can't handle shitty research and building placement.

8. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Really? Because when I started "commanding", I was more than happy to let others lead the team and just focus on building placement and research, targets, etc. And the fact is, it's way more efficient to have a guy who isn't in the CV actually leading the team.

9. flasche

i meant a guy who pushes you around, be it comm or not. as new player you want to try out stuff. if you are only allowed to do "reasonable things" - as in if you dont do what you are ordered/supposed to do youll have some guy bitching at you constantly - youll miss out on most of empires features.

ive also been thankful for every input i got as newbie comm. im still asking what people want me to research since in the end its them useing it. that wasnt what i meant to say though, i was talking about those who think this game is about them and them alone. tbh they aint only unpleasant for new players, but also for those who just want to run around and shoot at things, rather then ending the game in the least possible time. yes i do want to win, but i want it to take time and be reliant on me aiming better rather then me knowing how to exploit (neutral meaning) features best.

its those things that should have no place in pubs - though you cant do shit about it as having a common goal is part of empries being empires - not newbies doing random nonsense. those things belong to competitive games where players agreed on following a common plan - be it elaborated or only that theres a guy with ultimate decisive power.

it often is a small gap inbetween (backseat)commanding and being obnoxious. im not free of getting pissed by people not doing what they are supposed to do either. its just i care less if theres a rather big portion of players capable of doing shit, then i do when i only have a handful of guys. dont forget, its about lower pop servers vs higher pop servers, not about individual people. even if i let myself being dragged away a little in my argument.

10. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Gotta agree with trickster, commanding is way better when you don't have to actually tell people what to do. Though I am use to being out of the cv half the time cause I'm building shit. Still, people on the ground have a much better idea of whats happening than I do usually, so they can request what they need.

I am trying to learn the hobbes method of commanding though, it relies on people knowing what to do but I can do much more for my team by being right at the front with them.

11. ImSpartacus

We need to start a clan. How about WWHD (What Would Hobbes Do?)? Or maybe the Hobbes Disciples? We could get t shirts.

12. flasche

uhm wrong thread? try this instead http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=18402
    i know, forum with no multiquote option is bad :D

13. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Tbh, flasche even raising this annoys me slightly. To the point where I really want to use bad language.

To be honest, what the ego failz0rds don't realise is when you try to crush people into a mould, they don't have fun. And you don't need to try to finish the map super quickly just because you can bully people into it - that's just missing out on the game and turning other people off.

Trickster actually did this last week on canyon and I had to tell him to knock it off (albeit gently). I don't want to hear "go go, do it do it now, no you! Get in the vehicle! Kill yourself, now now now!" No. All respect Trickster and other people, but fuck right off with that (on pubs). The good comms will direct you to an objective, manage you while you do it, giving help and feedback where necessary. You don't need to join a game as a field comm and do this when the team has direction and is winning. If it's filled with vets, okay, but not the 8-10 or so newbies we've been having recently. They were winning on their own bat.

And actually, we had Hobbes as comm on that map. Pinning the enemy in the upper two quadrants of the map, hobbes decided we didn't need any vehicles or weapons until he got arty, I believe. Even then, it was 10 minutes after when he could have gotten arty, and they completed heavies in that time. We actually lost.

So as far as I am concerned, a good game was ruined twice. Once by a field commander who wanted to win the game as fast as possible because I guess he was bored? I mean play something else if you want faster rounds, ffs.

And secondly by a comm who wanted to use, not just the riskiest strategy, but also deliver on that strategy 15 minutes after it should have been. Denying us vehicles for the whole map.

What was the point of all of that?

14. ImSpartacus

Can you tell that I can't keep these threads straight? None of their titles match the discussion. It's maddening.

15. flasche

hehe yeah, i wonder i somehow managed to cut the corner and stayed on track with my arguments ...

16. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Actually, Predator was our commander and he generally asks me to take charge when he comms because he doesn't like using his microphone ingame. He later crashed and couldn't get back on the team because of team balance. Hobbes took over the CV but we'd had too much downtime of no research because of Predator's disconnect. The only reason that game was lost was because the vehicles we waited on to break their final base didn't arrive due to Predator's crash, nothing more.

17. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Except between the time when I asked Hobbes whether we were getting vehicles and a vehicle factory to when we died it was about 20 minutes, not 6. For reference, I was dead for about 4 minutes before being squad revved, remember in that corner where you tried to get someone to revive me? Even then they hadn't gotten vehicles out. I also had time to go across the map after I died earlier (since I respawned back at main), then walk to the ne, take part in some infantry battles and revive at least 2 of my squad members there.

18. complete_

complete_ lamer

u shouldnt

19. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

aka get a stacked team.

20. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

aka getting your team hobbed.