Server download? Down?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nightmare, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Nightmare

Nightmare Member

I would like to host an Empires server but I can't download the server package. Error 404 page not found. Has it been taken down?

2. Smithy

Smithy Developer Staff Member Administrator

Hope this helps.

3. Nightmare

Nightmare Member

Thanks. That would probably work. However I don't have the server package to get to the gcf's. And I'm not sure what Brutos means by that. Does it mean to extract them to my server installation from the client's installation?

4. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Exactly that.

5. Nightmare

Nightmare Member

Thanks. I've found that the server admin from where I purchased my server actually installed v2.24 which seems to be an older version than what's current. So I'm thinking no matter what we do, either me or the server admin, it may not work unless we update it to the current version.

I've found a full version of the 2.30 server install at gamefront.com
    Is that the latest version? I thought the latest was 2.31. Either way 2.30 is much newer then the 2.24 the server admin installed. I'm thinking that's the problem.

Will uploading the gcf's from the client update it to the version I have? If that's the case I'll try uploading the extracted gcf's first before deleting the 2.24 that's there and uploading the 2.30 I've found.

The weirdest part of all this, to me, is that there are servers that are running right now that I can get on and they seem fine.

If nothing will work until Trickster gets it going and I just have to be patient I can accept that. But..heh...that makes the fact that some servers are running and accessible even weirder.

What should I do?

A. Be patient for Trickster to come up with a release.
    B. Try uploading the gcf's as suggested.
    C. Install the v2.30 version of the server I have.

Thanks for the help and quick replies!

6. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Basically, extract your client GCFs. The server upload will be a while, sorry about that.

7. Nightmare

Nightmare Member

Thanks, Trickster. I fully understand these things take time. The more time you take in correcting it the better the result should be. With the 2.30 full server package I linked my server providers to the server is finally online and people can join the server however now there are other problems.

If you think the download of the 2.30 package would help you in your efforts and you don't have it here is the link:
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/17634909/empires_server_230_full_install.7z

The problems with it now are:
    - The server name won't change.
    - In Steams Server browser window the game says "Empires v2.30" in the Game column. So my server is difficult to find because if someone has their filters set to Empires it doesn't show up.

I realize this may be my server providers ignorance that it's possible nobody here can help with that. I posted those problems here in hopes that maybe someone here knows how to change that stuff, namely the name of the game that shows up in the Game column of the server list. I'm currently downloading what the server provider installed through FTP to search the files for instances of "Empires v2.30".

When the download finishes I'm going to try changing the name through the server.cfg and make sure all of the files that should be writable are CHMOD'd correctly.

Thanks for the help, replies, and attention. Much appreciated!

8. Trickster

Empires 2.30 is much older than the steam release, it's an entirely different version. On top of that, as I said, it's not a steam release. No-one in the steam version of Empires will see your server, only those in the non-steam versions, such as 2.31. And even then unless they had 2.30 they wouldn't be able to join it.

Pretty much, you HAVE to extract these client GCFs. You can find them in your steam/steamapps folder. There will be 3, Empires_base.gcf, Empires_content.gcf and Empires_scripts.gcf. Simply use a program called gcfscape to extract them all to one folder so the layout looks fairly similar to what your current server install does. After that, upload them, and use that as your server. If that doesn't work, or uploading all of that isn't an option for you (I know it wouldn't be for me) then I'll see if I can find an alternative.

9. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

10. gH0sTy

gH0sTy Member

A linux server still needs the server.so binary which is not included in the .gcf files.
    Can someone upload the binary and post a link please?

The server doesn't need the .vtf files, deleting them will reduce the size of the upload by ~1 GB

11. Trickster

We aren't supporting Linux at this time, or at least I thought we weren't. I know eth0's runs on Linux, and I was under the impression that he was basically our Linux test server. I don't know where MOOtant/eth0 got with that.

12. Nightmare

Nightmare Member

: P we found that out the hard way about v2.30. It was worth a shot!! So as another attempt we'll try reverting the server back to v2.24 which is what the server provider installed for us originally. Hopefully that's what the re-install button on the head admin account of the control panel does, automatically, and we don't have to wait around for them to do it on a Sunday.

13. Nightmare

Nightmare Member

So the server is installed and says it's v2.24. Will the gcf's bring it up to the current 2.31 steam version?

14. Trickster

Yes, but forget the old server install. You don't need it, it's useless.

15. Nightmare

Nightmare Member

You mean the old 2.31 server installation that's since been taken down from this site, right? I don't even have it.

16. Nightmare

Nightmare Member

HOORAY!!! Server's running. Thank you all for the help. Very much appreciated.

How's 'bout, since we know this works, compile the package with the gcf's as the server package and re-place the download link. I'll be glad to contribute and provide the zip file of it if you'd like me to.

Thanks again for the help!