scout rifle future

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by blizzerd, Apr 3, 2010.

?

what do you want to do with the scout rifle

1. keep some (current? old? nerfed?) form of scoped ranged rifle in game

44.2%
  2. remove it or change it hard enough so it is no longer a scoped ranged rifle

51.2%
  3. i have no opinion on the matter

4.7%
  1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

lets try that out on the forum active members

2. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

pointless poll is pointless. with a few rare exceptions, most of the people active here don't play.

3. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

The scunt rifle sucks, but I think that's great considering people who use scunt rifles are also hard to find themselves.

Translation: The rifle is a double-edged weapon, like the Spy in TF2.

4. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

I play...

5. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

:confused:

6. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

Just revert to 2.12, It was never OP.

7. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

Someone said half the people talking about gameplay options don't play empires in the first place.

8. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I think this poll can show a lot as far as the character and judgment of the people who want it to stay or removed.

edit: my only problem with the poll is the first awnser is too generic. It's like some people want how it is currently, some want 1 shot kills(awps), some just want to snipe no matter the damage on prolly the biggest, most wide open maps in any game ever.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

its not too generic, the pol basically asks "is there a place for a ranged rifle in empiresmod" but i did not want different balancing preferences to influence the polls, just the fact that its a rifle with a scope to kill over large ranges

so, yes or no?

10. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Yes I want the current scout rifle to stay, Yes I want a buffed 1 headshot kill weapon, Yes I want it changed so that it can some how be balanced with limited range and fall off, Yes I want it changed to a low damage carbine, Yes I want a rifle like the one in red orchestra.

I see what your saying but there is lots of ways to fit it in the game. I can see a sniper in the rifleman class with about the same range of the 50 cal and lots of fall off after that working. It's just not a good weapon to have when he is out of your max vis limit 1 shot killing you.

11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

the problem with the sniper rifle atm is that its ranged, and ranged combat pisses off all the other classes, and makes you end up sitting on a hill with hide all day

this poll is about "do you want that" or not

12. Fricken Hamster

Well, why don't we just take out all the guns and give infantry swords and spears then?

13. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Good one hamster. You can't counter/even see a sniper when hes at a normal range. I can handle riflemen being dominate but at least with them you can drop a MG turret or wall for cover. To add snipers purely to counter the riflemen is retarded and ignoring the effect it will have on the two most important classes in the game(anti-tank and building class)

Scouts will shoot over unbuilt walls and easily get headshots. Which some people want to be 1 hit kills. So your unsafe behind cover from invisible people. And the sway going up with less stamina is also retarded since your not gonna do much running when your laying a mile away.

14. Marshall Mash

Marshall Mash 3D Artist

Make it so that it gives a trail of smoke whenever fired like in Halo, bam fixed.

15. Fricken Hamster

The headshots you claim are so easy, or not so, especially after we moved to OB engine, which, whether by lag or bad hitboxes, make hitshots more of a random occurrence than a calculated event.
    All of your examples are only damaging if the scout is facing a single person, which shouldn't be the case, except for maybe the scout as the scout's skillset allows for him to be effective alone.
    Even if sniped, you can easily be healed or revived. The problem in 2.12 was that there were rarely anyone with revive, and heals were very ineffective. This was partially due to the lack of squad action, which despite the fact that a squad was required for the first skill, rarely did anyone work together as a squad, and the incredible DPS of all the guns. People often went on one man kill streaks making revives impractical.
    Now, at least some games, people at least try to play as a squad, with more and more revive engineers.
    Without a buffed scout rifle, the scout rifle is almost useless. It needs to at least make headshots 100 damage to be a good initiator. You can take out the revive engineer in a walled up position (which isn't as easy as you think because hitboxes for walls and turrets are weird, often leaving you to have to aim for the part of the body farthest away from the turret), then allowing your team to move forward and gain ground.

16. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Dubee: Do you have emp svn?

17. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Hamster I can say the same thing that, all of your examples are 1 sniper shooting. There will a lot more than one of them and plus the more people there is the more targets to choose from. Sure revive can help but its also helping that sniper get easy points. It's like kilo squad always reviving after I kill them(I'll take easy points any day). But when you are a sniper you can pick the revive engy out of the crowd and target him.

I know how easy it is cause I tested the shit version of the rifle and that's exactly what I was doing. Headshotting people behind unbuilt walls with ease. Now I'm not someone with great aim or good at sharpshooting but imagine those CS:S awp/scout freaks invisable and prone on huge wide open maps with people slowly running around instead of peaking around corners on small maps waiting for someone to run by for a split second. If its easy for me it will be much easier for people who do it often. Also the hitboxes are much bigger and easier to hit in empires than in CS:S.

Yeah, but since the tests are always so early where I live and since I am moving in 7 days I don't have much time to dedicate to it.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  18. a noob

a noob Member

Would this still be a problem if the scout rifle had iron sights instead of a scope?

19. Fricken Hamster

Really with bolt action rifles, there wouldn't be much difference if there were 3 or 1. If one of them gets a kill, engineers can just revive. They can't DPS an entire squad out. And headshots are not easy, especially with the lag. Client and server side hits are not synced, so you never know if you actually hit or not. Plus when you have more than 1 snipers, you often find yourselves aiming the same target.

Points are not really an issue. Aside from effectiveness capped at 40, which most players will reach long before the end in a game, Sniping people isn't the best way to farm points. If you get a kill, you get one for killing an enemy, while the other team, gets 1 for the revive, and the entire squad gets a point for squad activities, not to mention another point for killing you. And the sniper's point is only guaranteed if he manages to get the kill. It is much easier to farm points reviving.

20. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

The ob version has much better hit calculation than the old empires version.
    Stop playing on Vipers with its insane server settings that make it (compared
    to other servers) almost impossible to hit running/zig zagging people.