Scout Rifle Balancing

Discussion in 'Archive' started by The Buttery Lobster, Jun 25, 2007.

?

Should the scout rifle cancel zoom between shots (i.e. no change)?

1. No. The scout rifle should stay zoomed in during reloading of each shot.

18 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. Yes. The Scout Rifle would be too powerful if the zoom didn't cancel.

20 vote(s)
    48.8%
  3. Other/No Opinion (please explain)

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I picture, you keep your crosshair on the binoc'd target for 5 seconds and then you learn all their information. the same thing could be available to scouts that arn't looking through binoculars

2. Unit 1126 PLL

Unit 1126 PLL Member

What's the use of the binoculars, then, if the scout can do everything with just the zoom on his gun?

3. arklansman

arklansman Member

1. They zoom much, much further now.
    2. They spot targets.

4. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Five seconds is appallingly long. I vote instantly. It's just (albeit valuable) information, it even needs to be relayed before it's actual useful.

5. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

Just my $0.02, but I think the rifle is very balanced the way it is because of it's lack of over-powering zoom. Take the awp for example... The gun 1 hitted anyone with pin-point accuracy regaurdless of distance, AND it had a zoom that could see across the map.

Anyone get what I'm saying?

6. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

The reason people are complaining mostly is because the scout rifle had damage fall off like all guns so if you had to use your zoom to hit someone then most likely the actual damage the bullet inflicted was in the 20 damage range. That's how it goes for all weapons, but people seem to think they're missing when it takes multiple hits to kill a target.

7. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

anyway to make the damage fall off quadratic (instead of linear), or maintain the damage until a fall off point might work.

this is opposed to just decreasing the damage fall off, as that would allow some insane shots from across the map.

on the other hand, given the damage at those ranges, awesome long range shots might be just what we need :D

8. paper

paper Member

I, for one, feel like I'm the only one who actually uses the sniper rifle as a scout. I think the damage could be less, but it does need to be more accurate. The only way to make it decent in getting kills is with the accuracy skill, but that too doesn't always help much. Maybe it should be given a better scope that's more accurate, but does less of its normal damage. Also I think if you headshot someone it should do major damage.

9. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

I hear headshots already count for alot... also, while it does have a scope and can get 1 hit kills, the scout rifle was never intended to be a sniper rifle. It has been stated in the past that there would never be a sniper in Empires, and I think the only way to beat that into the heads of the newbs, it to remove it comepletely.

10. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

I agree, and continue to promote my Auto-carbine idea from a previous post

11. Vader6

Vader6 Member

Despite the fact that it's TOTALLY NOT A SNIPER RIFLE, I find it to be extremely useful to keep enemy engineers from hopping out to repair their tanks (or comm-vehicles, as JCW learned) :D

I believe that the scout rifle would be best if it was kept the same, except that they could be given a bit of a more beefy sound, as both the NF and BE versions of it sound like BB guns.

12. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Guess what gun can kill engineers reparing their vehicles?

EVERY GUN!

you might have some issues with SMG2, but cereal, every gun is able to kill someone

13. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Engineers retreat to safe distances before jumping out to repair. That's where the scout has the advantage in that he can still kill them when they think they're safe.

14. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

The Scout should have the advantage because he is hidden behind the lines ready to kill the engi from a surprise location.

If you're hit when repairing by a front line scout, your tank is likely a target for grens as well. I don't think a scout's gonna get many long range kills that way, and is that the reason why the scout rifle should be able to snipe people?

15. eth0

eth0 Member

If the scout rifle is to work like a sniper rifle, i.e. a long-range, high-accurately, one-shot killer i, speaking personally, would indeed expect this weapon to "cancel zoom" for reasons:

1) I'd expect a real sniper rifle to only hold one cartridge/round at a time and not to have a magazine. This is not based on any fact only the assumption that the cartridge(s) would be too large to practically hold in a magazine.

2) As a game player i'd simply expect that a weapon in the one-shot-kill class would have some limitation, even if it contrived for game. So if in fact sniper rifles do have magazines, i'd still expect a load round-shoot-load round cycle.

My Thruppence's worth.