Scout hide idea now with poll.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by aaaaaa50, Apr 23, 2010.

?

Do you want to see this suggestion implemented?

1. Yes.

22.7%
  2. Yes, but with small changes.

31.8%
  3. Yes, but with large changes.

4.5%
  4. No.

27.3%
  5. Undecided. :unsure:

13.6%
  1. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

I added a poll. If a moderator would like to merge these threads, then please do so.

2. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

Because the only way for me to know what people think of my suggestions is for them to either post their thought or vote in a poll. Having a poll open means that more people will express their opinions, whereas without a poll most people would just read the thread and not say anything.

3. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

If the hide bar recharged whenever the scout is hidden now in the current version of empires (crouched or prone, even while moving) and only drained when the scout is running or sprinting, it would be perfect.

4. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

I agree with this, but I don't think that getting shot should make the scout visible.
    It's not terribly difficult to get hit by stray shots\explosions in the middle of a combat zone.

5. Terminutter

Terminutter Member

Would it recharge fast?
    If not, you could end up with a cloak and dagger situation, which might actually be detrimental to gameplay...

6. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Melee while invisible (without breaking invisibility) is probably a bad idea -- it encourages players to use it to stalk opponents for points and kills and 'zomg awesome' feeling, even though I suspect that would generally not help their team.

Otherwise this seems good.

Oh, here's an additional suggestion, maybe: It should regenerate very quickly, but enemy radars and sensors and such should slow its regeneration down significantly. This would make radars and sensors effective as anti-scout defenses without having it expose them. And it would mean you wouldn't have to wait forever for it to regenerate in 'safe' areas.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  7. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

Do you even play? It is already like this. There are no problems. Don't try to fix what is not broken.

8. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

I'm responding to this:
    It's not a problem for scouts to be able to stay invisible while they're crawling around and hitting people using the current system, because moving slowly makes them easy to find when they attract any attention at all.

But my understanding is that the suggestion here would make it so a scout could leap out of hiding, run up behind someone at full speed, melee them to death, then run away full-speed to some other location to recharge without being exposed at any point. I don't think that that's a good idea. That means that, with this suggestion, the 'charged invisibility' bar here ought to be cleared when you attack.

9. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

Squad hide is already like this, now shush.

10. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Squad hide costs squad points, which means it can't be used constantly, and prevents it from resulting in players running around spending all their time meleeing people to death from the shadows for lolz -- people usually use it for important things as a squad.

But if you give scouts the ability to run up to people, melee them to death, and run away without turning visible, you'll get lots of players just focusing on doing that regardless of whether they help their team or not, like with sniping. It's something that will feel productive even though, for the time involved, it usually won't be. And that's not good.

11. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

And here we witness a simple, great idea in the suggestions forum in its early stages of being gayified to the point of retardedness by the suggestions board regulars.

12. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Aquillion is a great guy capable of very good suggestions pickled, just try to explain something to him without trollishness.

First off, the argument that it's allowed with squad hide is null because there are very very few people who will do squad-hide rushes on commander maps.

Second, Aquillion, melee isn't that bad to allow because the hit-detection is so off anyways. That, and running out in the open, scouts are easy to see. The only reason one wouldn't see them is if he's camping his turret (which is a view obstruction), which in that case, this could be an example where the scout is benefiting his entire team.

13. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

predom = suggestions board regular

14. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Fuck you I oft remain in the black hole/off topic for months on end :|.

15. Goldblade

Goldblade Member

I'm not sure I like the "as long as it's full at all" you're mostly invisible. I would suggest having it like several sections of a bar that are used to determine it. For example, 5 levels of invisibility, and you only achieve that level when it's full, but that level lasts as long as that segment has any charge in it. When it hits zero, you're fully visible until it reaches the first mark. If the marks were spaced at different intervals (Ie, 1 unit distance, the next is 1.5 from the first, then 2.5 from the 2nd, etc.) would make it worth staying still for a while, then using the longer times you get at once.