Scout Ability: Vehicle Analysis

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Apogee, Nov 24, 2008.

?

Is this a good idea?

Poll closed Dec 24, 2008.
  1. Yes

66.7%
  2. Yes, with changes

29.2%
  3. No

4.2%
  1. Apogee

Apogee Member

Here's a simple buff for the Scout, since the sniper rifle is being done away with soon. Allow Scouts, with the binocs, to ID a vehicle's armour, engine, and weapon type when hovered over for a few seconds. Maybe make it so the attributes appear one at a time every few seconds, neccessitating a bit of hiding (and defencelessness) to accomplish it. When done, the attributes will appear on the HUD of any team members who look at the tank, for say 30 seconds. The commander woudl also see this info listed by enemy tanks he sees.

This would primarily be useful to the comm, as he then knows what to research to counter the enemy forces. It also is useful for Grens/Rifles who are taking on tanks - knowing what armour you're hitting make it easier to kill (i.e. if regen, don't let them get away and regenerate, if abs, use grenades and mines, if they have 3 phase, don't get close or you're roadkill).

Pros:Reinforces the scout as a recon class, in a combat-useful manner.
    Cons:More scouts sitting and watching the battle, not helping directly.

Thoughts?

Edit: This ability could be activated with a scout-specific skill. Maybe make it a part of Enhanced Senses (and have a similar effect on infantry).

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  2. arklansman

arklansman Member

Thanks for using common sense. :D

3. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

would this be a skill, just a thing they do, or one function of a skill that does multiple things (like silenced weapon)?

it needs to have a way for scouts to get points and/or be closely linked to something which already gives the scouts points.

oh...wait, scouts get points for marked units getting killed. nvm, good idea as is.

4. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

These are super x-ray vision binocs that allow you to see through/identify anything :)

Otherwise, this suggestion has my support.

5. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

"YES! YES!!!"
    -that one guy often heard in youtube poops

Excellent idea, and it's not unbalanced!

6. Alceister

Alceister Member

This is a pretty decent idea actually, but as you said, this would make Scouts far too comparitively passive. Plus, is there any real personal incentive on the part of the player to highlight targets with the binoculars?

7. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

they get points for every 2 units they have marked are killed. giving a dmg bonus to marked units gives ppl on the scout's team an incentive to actually attack the units which are marked.

8. Sherbie

Sherbie Member

This idea is delicious. :D

Implement NAO!

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i dont see why it would fade away after a while, why not just make it so that a tank locked and "painted" by a binocs always shows these things to everyone looking at it from the enemy team? until refit... because then it wouldn't be the same...

perhaps even add a symbol in the research tree of the commander for every technology thats reported to be had by the enemy to think of a valid strategy by the commander (like a check field on every research, that checks once the scout has confirmed it to be in combat use with his binocs)

as could be guessed, i voted a strong "yes, with changes"

10. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

Humm...On second thought, maybe we give the scout a Tracker Gun that can be removed by enemy engineers and destroyed. It would have the function of the binoculars, but with limited range and ammo. And the fact that the scout has to be more involved makes them less passive. Also, it adds a little bit of...shall we say, challenge. And it makes scouts more likely to get runover >:)

11. Apogee

Apogee Member

So, we've got 16 for yes and a single no... Sounds like its a good idea to me! Can we get a developer to weigh in on this? I've love to see it in game...

12. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

I had a related suggestion a while back (dunno if I ever made a proper thread for it, though; it might just have been an offhand mention in another thread.)

Implement a proper 'intel' system, complete with an intel tab for the comm. That tab, when you click it, reveals all the intelligence your team (and your scouts in particular) have gathered about the enemy, especially the enemy's research and what tanks they're using. This could then be used to inform your own research. Various things could contribute to your intel.

It could be expanded for more useful information, too, if people can think of any. But the idea is to make intelligence on the enemy into something that comms and teams value.

13. Empty

Empty Member

Simpler.
    Just make every unit or structure spotted via binoculars have it's health shown to anyone who looks, on vehicles it's essentially armor detection, on buildings it lets you know how close it is to collapse, and on infantry, well, it doesn't really matter.

It's not really imbalanced, grens can do it, it makes scouts actally gather data, and it's simple.

14. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Umm, imo, it could be picked up only as third skill. Why? Because if it was availlible from start , any non-contributing scout could just tell you the whole enemy tech plan, which would be stupid.

15. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

I quite like this idea. When i first saw it i thort armour ID which is already in gren skill but this would make scouts more of a scout if that makes sence. ^^ Would add tactics to the game :D

16. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

but thats the whole idea, scouts trying to figure out what the enemy is doing as soon as possible

17. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Yeah, the problem with this is that getting information about the enemy tech plan is only useful if you get it as early as possible. Finding out that the enemy is using rail heavies after they've been shooting them at you for five minutes is not very helpful.