Scorched Earth Tatics on Empires

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by (2142)Gen.Reaper, Mar 25, 2008.

1. (2142)Gen.Reaper

(2142)Gen.Reaper Member

During the Second World War in 1942,While retreating the Russians destoryed anything the germans might use against them(Bridges,dams,crops,lifestock,villiages,veichles, and So on.).This tatic was called "The Scorched Earth Policy),

I think the devs should make scorched earth tatics possible on Empires.
    Like make all the bridges(Can be rebuilt by engineer) on all the maps destructible,make it so engineers can booby trap or disable(Can be fixed by enemy Engineer) resource nodes and flags,Make it so the dam on the map(I forgot the name of it)Can be destroy(Make repairable by engineers or opened and flood the valley below, and destroy anything that the enemy can use.I'm talking about very DIRTY tatics here.

What do you think?

2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

You can implement this using mapping, but nobody would, because it's so easy to grief using it.

3. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

Things can be made destroyable and rebuildable. It is the mappers perogotive what will be destructable right now. --And in fact the developers can't force the mappers to make destructable objects. It is in the hands of the artists where it should be.

I like destructable things too, I promise if I make a map I'l make everything destructable for you. :)

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I don't think we can make things buildable then unbuildable by the same team, although I haven't investigated it fully.

You could, however, add another buildable on top of the first one, so when you build the bridge or whatever, it unlocks a time bomb buildable which would destroy it again a few seconds after you finish building the bomb.

5. Sherbie

Sherbie Member

Bridges should usually be destroyable... and as for res nodes, spoil what you can get :| Just wall spam over them before they can get them... takes lot of time to take, but it costs more than a ref, which also takes long to remove and it doesn't give you any res :P

6. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

So, you want to destroy that bridge because you built it and now it's biting you in the ass huh?

Lets think about this one.

bridges like on island are nice, because if you don't build them, any team can destroy them. And if the other team builds it, you can still destroy it or leave it up.

Sabbing refinery points is simple, place a camera in a hard to see location. Build it up part way so that it's not smoking, but not all the way cause it makes noise if you do. Now watch the enemy not be able to build a refinery because they don't notice it...

Best used on canyon IMO.

Want to stop them from taking a flag? Drop a mine on top of a hidden scout. the scout will be completely invisible and they will avoid the mine XD

7. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

For the bridges: This would be another reason to give engineers a specific timed, armable/disarmable 'explosive charge' used for demolition of map elements. With that, you could always destroy them.

(Another suggestion I had a while back was to allow the comm to give construct / destroy map element orders; giving a construct order causes engie tools to repair/construct it and makes it invulnerable to your team's damage, while giving the destroy order causes engie tools to damage it and lets it be damaged as usual. Default behavior would be the way things are now.)

8. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

There's no need to give engineers special bombs, just add an emp_eng_map_brush or emp_eng_map_model which looks like a bomb, and set it up to destroy the bridge after being built.
    Use the inputs and outputs to set the team that owns the bridge to also own the bomb, if you want only the team that built it to destroy the bridge.

9. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

How to do a scorched earth policy currently:
    1.) Lay a lot of mines all over
    2.) Engineers drop ammo boxes and a ton of walls by choke points and refineries
    3.) Engineers build and recycle a row of turrets so there's an impassible wall of dead models

10. Chahk

Chahk Member

Why are you retreating in the first place? Best defense is a good offense! ;)

11. Vaun

Vaun Member

Its all up to the mapper. The bridge in slaughtered is a good example, both teams can still damage it reguardless of which team actually "owns" it. Besides, most things in empires are too simplified to need Scorched Earth. For example, blowing up a refinery is only going to help the enemy, and any destroyed building can be put back up in a couple seconds.

12. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

No, if you build the bridge in slaughtered, you own it, you can't damage it with your weapons. That's why people will scream don't build it. Once you do, you can't destroy it, allowing them or you to pass through, but only they can blow it to hell to stop a rush.

13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

The bridges on isle have some sort of destructable element to them, but nobody ever uses it, I'm not sure you can even, as both sides can repair them as far as I know.

14. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

The bridges on isle are bugged IIRC, they wouldn't respawn. It might have been fixed by now though.

15. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

bridges are fixed. They take like 5 minutes to respawn though.

16. flatmush

flatmush Member

On KM the bridges on isle are always destroyed when I play, to stop rushes into the base or to make it easier to hold your side of the upper area. More destructables would be nice though.

17. Vaun

Vaun Member

Yes, the bridge on slaughtered can be damaged by both teams, ive tested it, it doesnt have friendly fire protection. the test was: build it, throw seismic grenades on it, watch the enemy apc trying to rush over fall into the water below.

Theres pretty much nothing else to this, since the enemy is completely independant of you, aside from map-based structures.

18. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I've never seen the isle bridges destroyed. Ever.

19. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

There's that one res node on a little island with only one bridge into it... the smart thing to do is usually to build a ref there, then take out the bridge so even if the enemy destroys your ref, they can't build a ref of their own. This makes more sense for NF to do than BE, of course, since it's an easier place for BE to reach from their starting location (so they can generally replace it, while NF has a harder time.)

That's pretty scorched-earth, come to think of it. Anyway, the other bridges are more hit-or-miss... I've seen them blown up, but of course while it keeps the enemy from rushing at you from their hilltop base, it also keeps you from rushing them to dislodge them. Mostly it's a stalling tactic to give your team time to set up defenses (or offenses) when the enemy moves onto the hills unexpectedly, I suppose.

It would be interesting to see a map like Isle with the 'lower area' flooded -- in other words, a map consisting of a bunch of islands where the bridges are essential to moving vehicles around.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  20. arklansman

arklansman Member

I was hoping this thread was about the DOS game. :(