Role of the HMG?

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Rippie, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Rippie

Rippie Member

Admittingly, I am far from the best skirmisher of this game, however I feel confused about the present purpose of the HMG.

Seemingly the HMG is not very useful as an offensive weapon, due to its lack of accuracy and the time it takes to deploy it.

Everytime I try to use the HMG to camp, a grenadier can easily make short work of me from quite a distance due to my inability to move. A rifleman can easily outsnipe me, in fact even pistols kills me fairly quick.

I am not suggesting any changes, I would merely like to have peoples opinion on what the purpose of the HMG is, and how it is used effectivly?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  2. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

A truly deployable HMG (like, on several surfaces in the style DoD: Source) would be pretty pimp

3. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Yeah, I've suggested that a bunch of times. It would be cool to deploy them on unbuilt walls but then you got issues like what if someone starts to build it up or if the wall dies.

Seems like(similar to the scout rifle) this weapon has always either raped or been useless. I would remove it and put it on tanks in the passanger seats. Or jeeps

4. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

the MG-42 is so pimp in day of defeat 1.

MG is pretty effective in maps like district. but people generally tend not to use them in other maps because why use MG when u can make a cheap APC or tank with a chaingun or 50 cal on it that is somewhat more powerful and sometimes more accurate?

how about having the ability for MGers to mount their MG onto a tank? :o

5. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

YES IT WOULD BEERDUDE I DON'T SUPPOSE YOU COULD DO ANYTHING ABOUT THAT?

Being able to use the prone values for the HMG on any surface would be very helpful for balancing the HMG and making it a unique weapon.

Yes that is also a good idea, being able to use special values for it in the top hatch of a tank.

6. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Basically, it's either going to be underpowered or overpowered until it can be deployable.

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yeah I mean the point of it is generally that it's a good weapon, but it isn't good for running and gunning. Defensively it's good, supportively it's good, but for actual running in and shooting people it isn't so good.

With deployment you could balance it so that it's a fairly meh SMG type weapon undeployed, but deployed it is accurate and powerful, but makes you vulnerable to mortars and flanking and whatnot.

8. Rippie

Rippie Member

I am just concerned that no matter how powerful it is, a weapon that forces you to be stationary and has deployment time might not be very practical. Something can always easily snipe you, even if it was a death lazor.

A tank machine gun works mainly because it offers the armor of the tank. How would this come into play for the HMG:er?

9. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

Infantry has higher maneuverability and can set up ambushes. Well it can not anymore since autodetect. Opposed to tank machineguns HMG hits where you aim at. You can defend areas which are to tight for a vehicle. Well I guess that's all what differs HMG from vehicle MGs.

10. Demented

Demented Member

And then it will be both! :D

But really, what substantial difference is there between a weapon that needs you to deploy as opposed to a weapon that needs you to prone? Normally, you can just jump on top of whatever it is you're shooting over and prone there.

11. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

no cause im a ponce

12. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

8 days out of 10 I am pretty crap at shooting people but I'm still worth having around during an infantry skirmish because I am a good supporting player.

Other than reviving fallen squad members who can actually hit a barn door I can often be found laying down enough suppressing fire with the HMG for the rest of the squad to advance, retreat, or simply to draw enemy fire.

So to me, thats what the HMG is good for, suppressing fire and supporting the team by restricting the enemys movement. I always play with accuracy upgrade, then health so I can usually make it through a mowtar to the face.... which happens alot.

13. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Idk, I was just hoping no-one would question that statement. I have no idea what the HMG needs. I just think any weapon that requires camping is shitty imo, so I don't really deserve an opinion on it.

14. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

You could stick a shield on it perhaps? When it's deployed it spawns a solid model of the HMG where you deployed it, with a plate on it that blocks a lot of bullet fire.

It would still leave you very vulnerable to grenades and mortars though, and wouldn't work so well with prone out in the open because it would do nothing to protect you from any direction other than forwards.

You could shut down an HMG posiition by smoke grenading it, forcing the HMG guy to move somewhere else. Or you could use regular grenades or the recently improved mortar to kill them.

You could even replace the plate with a small energy shield or something that has limited health, so concentrated bullet fire would deplete it and it would shut off.

You do need to force the HMG guy to move a bit, but there's camping and there's getting into a good posiition and using it to get kills. I think once the HMG guy gets spotted people would avoid him like a turret.

He could certainly use some movement thing to encourage him to then move to a new position. Perhaps the shield on the gun could shut off after a while anyway, forcing him to undeploy and thereby encouraging him to move.

You could also perhaps add anti-vehicle damage to the HMG, just light, and maybe weighted towards jeeps/LTs.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  15. Demented

Demented Member

I could hug you. :|ove:

Maybe it shouldn't be a shitty camping weapon.

16. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Emp needs two shitty camping weapons? :>

17. Krazer

Krazer Member

Could nerf the damage alot and give it the ability to disrupt the aim of players getting hit by it. Or even cause a little knockback.

Would help it fit into a support suppressing roll.

Just some lolsy ideas.

18. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

As a commander of the glorious unicorn army, I will give you a certain advice.
    GUNS SHOULD KILL PEOPLE!

19. Sirex

Sirex Member

Goddamn the nonsense being said here is wicked. Fist of the purpose of a gun which have a high firing range as an HMG has is to kill people. Kill not suppress. If any changes should be made to the hmg it should be that you could fire with it more accurately while crouching. Or add a sighted mode like for the other rifleman weapons and rename the weapon to "GPM" general purpose machinegun.

I almost always use the hmg offensively. Run around a corner, and kill a lot of people, run on top of a hill and kill a lot of people. It excelles at killing an enemy squad fast, much faster then with an assault rifle or heavy rifle if we had the same scenario. Just using if for supportive fire is a waste of the killing potency, not saying defensive use is bad, just that it is the secondary use for the weapon.

I think it is dumb that anyone can ever imagine using a weapon with 200rounds drum clip with autofire capability as "Oh don't mind me i don't want to kill anyone just scare you, yeah i am tactical i don't kill my enemies i let them run away, yeah i am smart"...

He speaks the truth.

20. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

or does he? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC03hmS1Brk ^^