Resource factorys or Upgraded refinerys

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by w00kie, Oct 13, 2008.

1. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

Hey, It just came to my mind that it might be interesting if there was more variety in commanders placable buildings and in the way NF and BE secure their resources.
    There is no final product I am thinking about, just some ideas:

1. maybe an expensive research deep in the tech tree that makes the fractions gain more resources for each refinery when researched, like "advanced refining" or "turbo charged refining".

pro: this could lead to other research strategies in mid-game

2. maybe an expensive placable building that looks like a factory that either gains resources from nothing or multiplies the resources you gain per refinery (or both), with an maximum amount of resources to to be covert for better refining (by each factory) and therefore the ability that you can build more than one of this factorys

or

3. just a second refinery type that gains more RES out of every res-node but costs more to be placed and needs more time to be build, or can only be placed if 3 people are close to a ref-node.

or

4. something else

just some things that came in mind.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  2. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Whenever anyone suggests a new building, the same question has to be raised: Are you willing to model and texture it?

...although, the basic idea here does seem worth considering. One major problem I see is that it comes down to being a 'rich get richer' plan; whoever is ahead would simply use this to get more ahead, because they can better afford the buildings / research / whatever res-booster you have.

3. Empty

Empty Member

Just make them the same in cost, but lower in HP and higher in build time.

4. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

what if the com could "turbo charge" the refs , doubleing production for 5 mins then halfing production for 10.

5. Demented

Demented Member

I suggest that we allow players to recieve derivatives from shares they buy from their Commander. They can use the income recieved to lend back to their Commander with high-interest mortgages for buildings and tanks.

6. jongscx

jongscx Member

With the economy as it is these days? I wouldn't risk it...

7. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Then we can slice and dice those derivatives into CDO's and CDS's and sell them to unwitting emp_recruits. When they finally figure out that they were based on subprime barracks and vehicle factories, we'll already be escaping in our golden composite parachutes.

8. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Empires: Economy
    So realistic, it'll blow you away!

9. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Placeable Gold Mines? :D

Unbalanced as shit. Refinery points is there for a reason:
    Forcing you out of your turtle.

10. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

It still favors whoever holds more refs, though (allowing people to increase the value of refs means that the side with 3 upgraded refs will have a bigger advantage over the side with 2 upgraded refs.)

If you wanted an idea that would equalize things (slightly) instead of favoring the winning player, what I would suggest is to have a single, non-repeatable additional source of ref -- for instance, a research item that gives you a constant additional res flow equal to one refinery.

Or a researched building that gives you as much res as a refinery, but you can only benefit from one of them. Building additional ones gives you no additional res income (although they can serve as backups.) Actually, I really like that one.

Making it so you can only benefit from one ensures that capturing res nodes is still the main goal of the game. You can't just turtle using your one res-factory or whatever it's called, because your opponent will still capture all the other nodes on the map and crush you.

It allows players to set up a wider variety of strategies, it creates a new important point to attack, and it doesn't favor the winning player.

I'm not sure it's necessary, but if people want an extra res source, I think this would be the way to do it. (Maybe allow it to be disabled on a per-map basis, since some mappers might prefer to control res flow more directly.)

11. Empty

Empty Member

How about an option for the commander.
    "Supply troops"
    "Supply resources"

Resources gives you a biggish boost to resources, but you bleed.
    Troops plays out as it does now.

12. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Or random air drops of res in crates that infantry must retreive. Multiwina has a system like this that balences thier matches by favoring the losing team.

13. computer991

computer991 Member

I like this idea,just needs to be improved on so the losing team benifits.

14. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

I now gopt a vision in my brain about admins in noclip droping res-crates over the map D:

but for real, if it is made that the teams can build one of this factorys for each radar that they own and the amount of extra resources that you gain from them raises the less refinerys you have and lowers the more refinerys you own (per factory), it would gain much more strategies of how to keep the teams income and give much more targets for each team. think about it D:

EDIT:

I am trying to describe a scenario, but my brain is too tired right now.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  15. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

i had the same idea not long ago (orig. post on pg1) and its not hard to implement OR have it benefit the losing team.

make it so its simply a research item, no one will know that u have it and thererfore no new buildings required. Once researched yer income goes to 1.5x or 1.6x of initial.

Place said research somewhere that a losing team would typically research (adv. RPG area anyone?) and then its easy to grab while you are getting hammered by tanks and defending with only inf.

The idea is that it would take 3-8 minutes to research but grant you such a boost that you can turn the tables on the other team and get 'out of the hole'. Once you manage to do so, you will have a major advantage as well until the other team researches it to, which they will have to, to have a chance at all. But it will take them some time to finish researching it since they likely wont have that research branch OPEN.

so, recap.

add the research
    gain more perm. money PER refinery.
    fight back from death's door and get a foothold
    get your shit together before enemy reacts and compensates
    fight onward.

if ppl despise the 'more money' concept and feel that it'll result in too many tanks that alter the research item to be a ONE-TIME emergency supply from your team's 'high command', something along the lines of 2-3000 bucks once researched. Again this would have to be placed in the RIGHT branch AND cost 5-8 minutes of time to get it.

This will mean your team can't just uberfail and be saved by it! They have to earn it by holding off tanks for about 10 minutes to have a chance.

16. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

but the problem with that is that it would be useless (see: rpg research)

17. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

rpg upg isnt useless, its just not worth the time & res to do it.

18. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

And the thing is... everyone would just grab it. And then it would help the winning team more, because it's a multiplier.

If you want res bonuses to help the losing team, they have to be a 'flat' bonus, not a multiplier.

19. Omneh

Omneh Member

And "in that area" is Chemistry, which is probably one of the most common researches after Biology, Nukes and Rails.

20. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

And improved chassis, which is in Mechanical Engineering and is taken almost every game.

Which means that your statement is "Chemistry is probably the most common research path, after every other tree in the game" :p