Research Updates Are Confusing

Discussion in 'General' started by FN198, Dec 8, 2014.

1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I just meant that the placement of weight matters - unless all weight is always placed at the point in the origin of the physics model (or in the offset point). I know drag is in there somewhere, but I expect its effect to be minimal.

What I really mean is that there has to be a reason why you can't perfectly replicate the driving abilities of, say, the light tank on every other chassis by offsetting weight and wheels. There's something else that holds you back and I suspect it's each unique physics model.

2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Well the light tank has the smallest model and the flattest AND the closest to the ground overall yes? Wheel placement for it is optimal as well.

3. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

You could probably make the afv handle closer to the LT by virtually moving the wheels. Also Split our convo since its off topic.

4. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Who ever fucked up BE heavy tank wheel size (Spartacus) please fix it. On Palm Bay - north west island. VF pointing north BE tanks will all sink in the light colored water that is intended to indicate it is ok to cross. Took a nub four tanks and my telling him to stop wasting all our resources and drive south. South you can get through.

5. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Joke's on you; they haven't been changed in the live version.

6. ImSpartacus

Joke's on you; they haven't been changed on any version.

But seriously though, I'll take a peek this weekend. There have been no plans to edit the wheel configuration on the be heavy. It has one of the lowest chassis in the game, so if any chassis will have issues in water, it will be that one. That's also why you can turret it so easily, the turret sticks directly into the low slung hull. The spherical wheels don't actually matter since they are very very small.

7. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

OK nothing changed and PalmBay BE Tanks are magically fucked in water. I guess miracles happen. TEST IT and see for yourself.

8. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Why are you complaining here about a map issue? Heavies have what feels to be the lowest suspension anyway, its more than likely that whoever made the map missed the mark by one or two units.

9. ImSpartacus

To his credit, it is possible that some game-wide change occurred that would cause this issue. He's certainly passionate about the topic and there's nothing wrong with that.

10. Candles

Not really, no.

11. ImSpartacus

Brb, dropping the hull collision on all chassis.

12. 101010

101010 Member

Pretty sure BE's heavies have always had this issue due to the height.
    Not stopping in the water is an easy way not to get stuck :o
    And just make sure you have the speed to carry you across to the other side if you do stall out.

13. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

The issue is crossing the north west water in Palmbay at full throttle, directly in the middle of the area that is supposed to be passable water. We're not stopping in the water, or turning. This never used to be an issue unless someone recently changed the map.

It may be some change to the BE Heavy tank unrelated to the wheel size. I only mentioned that since I heard the wheel size changed. If the tanks are lower, heavier, or lower speed - or probably many other things, could be causing this issue. Just drive a tank up the west side, and you should probably test NF as well. I doubt they have an issue, but due diligence is needed.

All you wanna-be programmers should know that a test case should be documented and various issues that have been stated should cause you to update your test cases. It's more of a QA thing, but developers feed into and review test cases. This shitty developers just sit back and complain about QA, not helping them to develop good test cases.

14. ImSpartacus

I've confirmed that this does actually occur, but it happens with a lot of chassis, so it feels like a map issue.

The BE heavy has not had its chassis changed. It wasn't raised or lowered. It wasn't sped up or sped down. So this is a complex issue.

15. complete_

complete_ lamer

probably a lowered speed issue from way back

16. Candles

I have an even better reason: No one ever drives heavies over there, or most tanks for that matter.

17. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

In fact, how campy was that round if you actually got to heavies on palmbay?

18. ImSpartacus

I don't understand why, but I just lost it at this post.

19. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

To be quite honest when I was making Palmbay 88% of the water level testing was done just driving whichever CV I happened to spawn next to over that area, the rest being done with probably light tanks and apcs. And as such I don't have a clue how well every vehicle will drive through the shallows.

20. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

And so, the great mystery of the BE tanks sinking at the battle of Palmbay was solved. Truly one of the greatest feats in the development of Empires.