Research Interface

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Icely, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Icely

Icely Member

I am somewhat new to Empires but I have had opportunity to command a few games. Being new I have not memorized the research tree yet and have had to use the current interface to find my way around it. Therefore I think I can therefore offer some feedback on the research interface.

From the couple of times I have commanded as well as several local games I started up to experiment with I believe the research tree has the following problems:
    • It is difficult to tell what the tree looks like further down
    • It is difficult to see where you are in the research tree
    • It is not alway easy to tell what equipment a research item unlocks

The first problem should be pretty clear. I think it is kind of an issue because there is no way to see how far down the desired equipment unlock is. For instance heavy tanks are 3 levels down while regen armour is only 1, yet there is no way to tell from the top.

The second problem is due to all the icon looking the same and being in the same place. Visually it is very disorienting to not have any markers.

The last problem is due to unfamiliarity with the game and the equipment that can be unlocked. Most of the time the text descriptions are adequate, although there are some that are less than crystal clear. Mostly I think this is due to the unlocks listed in the description do not exactly match the equipment items.

My suggestions for a more functional research tree interface would be to have the interface:
    • Let the commander view the entire tree
    • Use colours and icons to separate branches of the tree and research items
    • Show icons for the equipment that is unlocked by a research item

For the first point, I've tried to envision how the entire tree might be shown while keeping the current visual theme, but I can't think of anything that would work. If there is some way to fit the research tree into a radial display I'd love to see that. If there is not, despite how much I like the circular hexagon theme a classic tree shaped research tree would be more functional.

Not much to say about the second point. I assume that this is already in the plan for the mod as it makes too much sense for it not to be. I would have a colour for each branch, use unique icons for each research item, and maybe have each sub branch a little different shade of the same colour.

Lastly I think that showing the vehicle customization icons for the equipment that is unlocked will help make it crystal clear what you're getting for your research. These icons can be shown when you mouse over a research item like currently, although I think tech level research should incorporate the icon for the equipment it unlocks into it's own icon. Icons will have to be decided on for research that does not unlock vehicle equipment.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  2. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Dynamic reaserch layout
    By Doggeti
    [​IMG]
    Click image for topic

3. Icely

Icely Member

That is beautiful and it clearly already incorporates the first two suggestion I made. I spent half an hour searching the forums for something like that and didn't find it. Thank you for providing the link.

4. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

vess rocks

5. spellman23

spellman23 Member

The real question is, why hasn't Vessboy's system been implemented yet? He even has a well-done GUI picture to use!

6. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

it shoudl be comingon eventually, could be recent noticed that empires just went through a big beutifying stage, with all the nice pages and such

7. flounder

flounder Member

Vess does rock, and does contribute very useful concept art, but be mindful that this work is not his. He is simply referencing a year old post that answers the OP's question.

8. spellman23

spellman23 Member

ah, my bad.

Still pretty cool.

9. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

The concept drawing is by Doggeti, not Vess and its part of a long list of planned changes, I believe.

10. arklansman

arklansman Member

The entire GUI is being redone for those of you who are unaware.

11. spellman23

spellman23 Member

Saw the new GUI in the Dev Blog. Still haven't seen the full version, so that means there's still room to make suggestions that might help make the GUI even better.

Actually this is the best time since they're already changing it, it's easier to add in other ideas.

12. Tovarich Cookie

Tovarich Cookie Member

actually, most of us are NOT aware.
    do us a favour and talk to us underlings, will ya :(

13. Caelo

Caelo Member

the new GUI will rock your world :)

14. arklansman

arklansman Member

That sticky and its massive discussion thread aren't obvious enough. :rolleyes:

15. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

i really really hope doggetti's design for a tech tree gets implemented though, even if the tech tree gets changed entirely.

16. spellman23

spellman23 Member