Replace RPG Upgrades with Per-Chassis Resists

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Jessiah, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

To my understanding, the only reason RPG upgrades are a research is because those damage values are overpowered early game, and without them, grens are almost useless against heavy armour late game. They exist as a flawed balancing function, not as a feature intended to make the game better.

Considering the reason the RPG upgrades exist, why not add a RPG resistance to vehicles as a replacement? The RPG would start the game with whatever damage value it has fully upgraded (140 IIRC), and each chassis would have a chassis-specific resistance to the RPG. The resistance would be tuned so that the RPG isn't overpowered vs early-game vehicles, but isn't underpowered vs late game vehicles. This would have the same balance effects of the RPG researches.

edit: I get the impression I didn't explain this very well for implementation. Basically, once normal damage is calculated, the RPG resistances kicks in and reduces the damage by a certain percentage. With this varying with each chassis, it effectively scales from early game to late game.

Pros:
    • Better implementation of RPG upgrades in terms of Gren vs tank balance
    Cons:
    • Coding & Scripting
    • Possibly flawed system
    • KILLX suggested it :o
    Alternatives:
    • Tie YOUR RPG upgrades to ENEMY chassis advancement
    • Current system

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  2. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

We gots us something in the worx.

However, if it takes 3 rockets to kill an LT, it shouldn't take 3 to kill a heavy. 6 maybe.

3. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

What Shadow said. But also.

You have to account for armor as well as chassis. Your RPG that is balanced against a paper light is not going to be so balanced against a regen light. So you have to have some way to dial down the impact of armor as well as weapons.

But you shouldn't negate chassis or armor completely. A regen light is more expensive than a paper light. A regen heavy is vastly more expensive. It shouldn't be as easy for a gren to kill the better-defended tank -- it should be possible, more possible than it is now, but that tank should still get a defensive bonus of some sort against grens from all the resources invested in them, otherwise they look a bit pointless.

4. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

1tank VS > 3 grenadiers loses.

5. spellman23

spellman23 Member

Intriguing. In other words, RPGs auto-scale somehow to the chassis that they hit. this could make Heavies really scared of grens since they can hurt way more than a LT, relatively speaking.

However, this raises a weird question. How is it that larger tanks are more vulnerable than their lighter versions to RPGs, but not cannons?

6. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

REALISM:
    WE FUCK IT IN THE ASS.

<fil>

7. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

What? Are you kidding? I can take down a single tank by myself if not two!

8. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Face me. Hope you realize you're an infantry.

9. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

It wouldn't be related to armour at all, it would be a resistance on the chassis only that affects the armour solely against RPG's. That way RPG scales automatically. The researches are SUPPOSED to help scale the RPG, except its rarely researched.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  10. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

What I mean, though, is that then you still have RPGs being mostly useless against regen AFVs / APCs, because regen offers a huge bonus that RPGs won't be scaling up to meet.

And they will absurdly rape paper meds / heavies in a way no other weapon does, because the scaling will be intended for properly-armored meds / heavies (not that you see them much, but you get the idea.)

11. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

At the same time though, RPG upgrade research offers the same. The only difference is that a commonly ignored research that helps balance late game no longer gets ignored because its implemented in a way that it scales.

12. spellman23

spellman23 Member

Personally I think a better fix is making the RPG upgrade more accessible. And for there to be more of them (speed and turning radius!). They are currently kinda hidden away and tough to get to when you're in the middle of researching a totally different branch. And once you do they're obsolete against uber meds/hvy making it more worthwhile to just sport better tanks.

13. Drag

Drag Member

Implemented as OP suggested. Can some testers please test it?

14. spellman23

spellman23 Member

is this in the new scripts or svn?

15. Drag

Drag Member

SVN, and when I get around to it, scripts.

16. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

I'll give it a try in about 2.5 hours once I get home.