Repair droids

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Aurora, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Revolver

Revolver Member

/troutslap

Regenerative armor! And a single engineer.

Pointless, and would require AI coding.

2. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

how about comms can pay money to have the buildings build themselves, albeit very slowly and ceasing to do so should they sustain damage.

3. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Generative Buildings! With Regen Armor! Or you can get Composite Buildings! Stronger and a bit Cheaper!

-Sheepe

4. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Custom armor buildings anyone? :p, hell why not go as far as custom weapons on buildings

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

id think drones woud add to the empires admosphere thoug!

6. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

The point of them is NOT to repair veichles, but build that huge base, while everyone else is getting themselves murdered on the front lines...

Awesome+Usefull=T3h Win

7. Lanic

Lanic Member

How about this.

1.The Radar building would have to be built first. then research in electrical engineering would be needed. This makes sure that the engineers have initial buildings to get up and gain some skill points before heading into the front.

2. The Drones would then have to stay within a certain radius of the radar facility. This helps make sure the drones are only used for base construction and not as a front line use.

3. If the Radar facility is destroyed the drones either shutdown or self destruct.

3. Only the commander can control the drones.

4. Limit the amount between 5-10 (research increases the amount buildable)

5. Give the Drone an initial low cost to produce but uses resources to repair. Like a 5:1 point to resource cost ratio.

6. Drones would not have an offensive abilities and low hit points. It would take a round of bullets to disable it but one or two grenades or tank/rocket shells could deal with them.

7. Drones can only construct and repair buildings.

the only doubt i have is how hard this would be to code into the game.

Btw OP the reason your getting starwars remarks is because your drawing looks like the treadwell droid. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/WED_Treadwell

8. SniperJP02

SniperJP02 Member

I like the idea of drones but only in a smaller game. Maybe make it so that if there's say, I dunno less that 10 players per team then Comm can make 2-3 drones so players can concentrate on killing than building. Just a thought.

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

my 2 cents about lanic's last post

i like

i dont like

2. (what if the commander builds another base? read 5 to explain a sollution)

3.1. no need for this, it woud make radar a good target to make enemy comm loose alot of rec

3.2. they shoud have a self working ai*, that is why i shoud suggest they woud fly (so they wont get stuck with evry obsticle)

4. Limit the amount between 3 to 5 (research dous not increase)

5. make drone expencive (800 recourses, 1200 if lightly armored), rather slow, weak, and not able to defend itself, dont let them cost to build, it woud advantage the winning team to mutch

(50hp, 1 armor slot and 1 armor plate slot (so 25 ap)
    speed, 75 % of infantry
    building = use build

so basically, it woud cost to mutch if you woud use it front line, but coud be used carefully to strengthen the lines behind

"the only doubt i have is how hard this would be to code into the game."

pretty easy actually, take the manhack script and in stead of diving it shoud circle its target, then imput the build script (the hardest part, but yust as hard as making the calculator work) and add the basic waypoint system (shoud be copy, paste, finetune, (you need to give a higher priority target then building/repairing at the waypoint, so it will approach even when building)

"Btw OP the reason your getting starwars remarks is because your drawing looks like the treadwell droid."

yea, i dont like driving droids, they woud make scripting them 3 times harder, cous waypoint issues as them getting stuck very quikly and lagg

flying drones: you coud make them translucent to the world (except for damage) so they can basically fly troug/over a building "if" they woud get stuck (witch they woud never, cous they have no obsicals, they yust fly in a straigt line to there target

*: make them repair and build buildings from themselves, and that the commander can "guid" them to a more desirable object if wished

Last edited: Jun 14, 2006
  10. FalconX

FalconX Developer

My problem with upgrades/units such as this is that their existance in-game would take focus away from the majority of the players. Research should focus on making the game more diverse for the general players. The commander directs the research and his soldiers, and thereby directs the thrust of his team.

11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

this is totally untrue

if you mean take focus away from engy's needing to babysit the base and build evry little turret the commander wants to, so that other classes can have fun on the battlefield?

then you are correct, but i woud not mind to take away that annoying spectrum of focus

if so, the engy babysitting coud be where he is of more use, building stuff on the front line!

if drones woud be added, a large new divercity woud be added, (the comm can choose for itself if he spends the recourses on it, or chooses not to, and so relying more on his engy's

a front line can change drasticly if a drone is aiding by (for example) building armory's behind friendly lines to ressuply and etc...

and this changes (when drones come into action) ?

i think not, only there woud be more "soldiers" actually being of use to the comm

70% of a game you are on your own, comm only gives orders if he needs you to do things, but mostly if a comm builds an armory in a new base, it will get built equally as fast as he gave commands or did not

12. Lanic

Lanic Member

In Response to Blizzerd:

For number 2. If the Commander Builds another base then the Drone can be constructed there if another radar is constructed. the com now has to consider: is this a forward base? do i need the drones or can the player engineers handle it? the basis behind the radar facility is that for the most part a coms not going to drop one everywhere; just within bases, so it can be used as a point of references, the limited range is another safety so that the drones are not used as some sort of front line lets build up walls and turrets tactic. tho it would be possible is would be costly to do something like that especially if the front line is under attack.

For Number 3. When i say only the commander can control them i mean no other soldiers can control the drones unless in the command seat. i do agree they should have their own ai and should be able to see "hey that building needs to be built", but the commander can click on one and say "i want this to have priority" just like a commander can click on a player and ask him to move to a location or attack a unit. the ai would be able to construct on its own but the commander can redirect it.

For Number 4. 3 to 5 sounds like a good amount. 5 to 10 may be to much and might cut into the role of the engineer. if anything the drone would be there to help speed up the process and to take care of secondary defenses once the engineers are out on the front line.

For Number 5. Im kind of confused here, are you saying that the drone would be build and customized like a vehicle?

And also i get what you’re saying with the no cost to build. And having just a static cost to build the unit should be enough. i think we both have the same goal of not having the drone replace engineers or being relied on heavily then a mid to end game advantage.

i also agree with a flying drone other then a ground one, less collision detection and pathing to worry about.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2006
  13. FalconX

FalconX Developer

What you enjoy is not nescessarily representative of what others enjoy. If you want to build stuff on the front line, then build stuff on the front line. This is where judgement and teamwork come in.

I'm referring to diversity of gameplay of the general players, not the commander.

14. Zairair

Zairair Member

Haha the NF one is rusty.

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

yea, but this way you coud choose, if you want to stay behind or not...

the engineers experiance changes by this, they do not need to babysit and can join there teammembers, so more teamplay

16. Tarantio

Tarantio Member

Engineers gain stat points from repairing and building buildings, why should they care how fastly they are done? Giving an Engineer an ability to spawn droids seems a bad idea to me.

Droids should be spawned in the same way as a turret by the commander, built up by an engineer or other character class and then they can go about their building business!

I think a limit of 1 or 2 should be allright. Why would you need 2 in a single base? It's not like you're constantly building masses of buildings. A limit of two is sufficient and I think they should cost about 600, building just slightly faster than an engineer.
    They can also be ordered to be moved around by the commander and will act on that as a bot.

Good ideas?

17. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

Yes. Though, the should be quickly buildable (the robots themsleves).

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

tirantio you sooooo need to read evrything first

19. FalconX

FalconX Developer

Could you elaborate on your response blizzerd?

20. Lanic

Lanic Member

Tarantio if you read some of the previous post youll see most of thoses ideas have been suggested already. they are good ones none the less.