Removing heal/revive from engineer and make a medic class?(somethin for engineer too)

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Rexz, Aug 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rexz

Rexz Member

I had this quick idea the other day, but i kinda forgot it but it just came back to me.

What if we remove the heal/revive feature from the engineer and make a whole new medic class out of it?

Before you flame, hear me out first.

The medic have a tool that can heal, so healing another team mate will pretty much be like how we did it with the engineer like before.

The medic should be able to drop a box that supply some med kits, but everyone can only carry 1 box with them at a time. The med kit heal over time, this will prevent people from insta healing which can be a bit over powered. The box should somehow act like the engineer's ammo box, so you cant spam the box all the time.

Also, the medic can drop a box that contain special supplements or drug, w/e you wanna call it. There will be a limited amount of these in a box too, so people can't whore it, and they can only carry one per person also. Work the same as the med kit box.

there will be a variety of different type that does different effect like:

Endurance - allow you to absorb a percentage of damage received for X seconds.

Focus- allow your rifle/pistol fire to be more accurate for X seconds.

Boost - letting you run really fast for X seconds.

Intellect - letting you repair/build fast for X seconds.

These are just some examples btw, there could be more if possible. There should be class restriction on some of them (Intellect would be useless for rifleman, grenadier, scout and such).

The healing done by the healing tool, med kit should contribute to the score of the medic. Possibly, the drugs should be able to contribute to the medic's score too (endurance- the more damage absorbed the more score/focus - the more damage landed, the more score/boost - the more distance, the more score/Intellect- the more unit built or repaired, the more score goes to the medic).

We could probably think of medic's class power later if people like this idea.

As for the engineer, there's a special feature that could be added to em. It's called recycling.

When a vehicle/building is destroyed, it leave junks behind, engineer should be able to harvest these junk and turn them into resource for their team. Im thinking of something like 25-50% of the resource that is used to make the vehicle/building should be returned once harvested by the engineer, for the enemy's vehicle/building, it should be 50-75% or something like that. The engineer is vulnerable to enemy infantry and vehicle when they are harvesting the left over junk, so they either need to hide behind the vehicle or is supported/defended by their own team mates.

For my own comment on this, I think the medic would be a nice infantry related class, but im not too sure about how well would be contributed toward fighting against vehicle. I know that the drug they supply will help out with defeating vehicles though (boost pills + stickies would actually go well with each other, engineer being able to build turret fast with intellect pills). Im more interested in what people have to say to the recycling idea though.

2. Empty

Empty Member

1) No new classes, 4 is the max, and Rifleman Gren Engy and Scout are the lineup
    2) Empires does not need a paladin class [as this should be called]
    3) Medics don't actually save people. They just, ease your pain. While you die. [Cookie if you get the reference]

3. Rexz

Rexz Member

Im waiting. D;

Also, I love Red VS Blue, I think im even hotter for you now Empty. <3

4. Empty

Empty Member

Lol cookie 4 u.

I like the recycling Idea, but I believe krenzo has stated only the current classes will be in empires.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  5. Rexz

Rexz Member

Well, if there be no medicz, I still think the recycling idea is nice.

Or it could possibly allow the Engineer to be able to build more turrets/walls, duno about this. O.o

6. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

It was already discussed like 1-2 years ago.

7. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

REJECTED.

Srsly, search first. This comes up every so often and the answer is always no, no new classes. We barely even have enough useful roles for all the existing classes, why would we want more?

8. Inceptor

Inceptor Member

We need Pyros and HWGuys. WHERE R MY FATTIENESS?

9. Sherbie

Sherbie Member

You know, the problem about medics is, that they would get HIGHLY irrelevant after decent tanks are on the field.

Engies just retool and are still useful!

And seriously, even with the multi-talented engineer it's sometimes hard to find anything to do, there just isn't enough to build/repair, and even less to heal/revive cause most people die further than 6 secs from you and you just dont get there fast enough to revive, and telling them to stay alive for a rev often doesn't work.

What I would like to see though is, if the healing would be done by a different tool with different ammo count and a slightly further range, so you could repair AND heal effectively.

10. Empty

Empty Member

Revive isn't for use on classic maps, generally.

11. arklansman

arklansman Member

lolwut

Anyway, the sticky is stuck so imma lock this sucker.

12. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

lolwut...

edit: LOL SNAP!!!

13. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

if the engi has revive or healing skill he should have a big red cross (or
    whatever those jecotian guys use) on his back :cute: :cute: :cute:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  14. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

I do agree that having some indicator of who can revive you would be very nice. I suggested something along those lines a while back...

Don't give a mark for healing, just revive. Healing isn't important. Knowing at a glance whether or not the engineer near you has revive, though, is extremely important, since it'll decide whether you tap out or not.

15. Empty

Empty Member

How often do you use revive on a comm map [IE classic]
    Once, twice on some of the smaller ones? Mass revive is different of course, since it has unlimited range.

Now, how often on nocomm maps...
    Like, once every 2 seconds? Why? Because nine times out of ten, you'll be near someone, and nine times out of ten, they'll die, so there's much more opportunity to revive.

16. Inceptor

Inceptor Member

Gah, its called teamwork! Form up a squad with your awesum buddies and then go revive, heal, kill, build, destruct, and nub!!

17. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

It depends on the server, too. Servers with high res / research tend to make infantry as a whole obsolete on comm maps, because you can just roll out heavies in like three minutes. Naturally, when infantry becomes obsolete, revive also becomes pretty obsolete.

TBH, the lack of a dedicated 'medic' class does add to the problem -- people never know if they can rely on engineers to be able to revive them, and as a result, they don't wait for revives... and as a result, engineers don't bother taking revive, leading to people becoming even less likely to wait for revives, and so on. If you knew there was a dedicated medic in your squad -- someone who will focus on keeping you healthy and alive at all times, and never get distracted by a comm order to run somewhere else and build a vital building -- I think squads would be much more likely to stick together, and much more likely to rely on reviving.

Which means, yeah, if it was my choice, there'd be a medic class of some sort (I'd give them the ability to drop ammo, too, instead of engineers -- this would give them a tank support role, and make engie drivers less independant; I think that that independance from their team is a bad thing.) But I know it's already been decided, so we have to make do with what we have.

18. Empty

Empty Member

I think ammo should be swapped in as an APC utility you can purchase, IE it refills other vehicles as well as people within it, and it can drop an ammunition crate. Commanders should also be able to drop crates, although it suffers the same restrictions as normal buildings, IE, can't drop it near enemy structures and it costs res.

19. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Problem with commander res crates: "COMM, AMMO E4!" "COMM, AMMO A1!" "COMM, AMMO D6!" "COMM, I REALLY NEED AMMO AT E4!" Etc, etc, etc. It'll be like playing Bingo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.