remove tickets and add in a spawn bottleneck on the barracks level

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by blizzerd, Jan 31, 2010.

1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

basically bin the whole ticket system, and add in a barracks/flag bottleneck

this would work like so:

each barracks has a seperate invisible value of 60, each time a person spawns, 5 points are substracted, each second that passes 1 point is added to it

the points serve as a scale, the lower it goes, the longer the respawn time in that specific barracks, the respawn time would start counting the second you are dead and changing barracks after a few seconds of death would clip the respawn time to the value that the new barracks supports (so taking the barracks a bit further away could save time)

capturing flags can "clip" the 60 points of specified flags of your enemies team to a lower value, thus capping flags makes them spawn slower and slower

all values are placeholders
    i suspect with the new GUI brutos and company have been working on we could make the invisible number become a part of the GUI, altough its not really a value that would matter a lot if it remains under the hood and its just explained that "spawning a lot in the same barracks" increases spawn times

how this prevents stalemates;

in the event that you are down to 1 or 2 barrackses your spawnrate is lowered immensely overall
    people would still be able to spawn, but the other team can do it way faster and more efficiently

this would mean that stuff like revive are important factors into keeping your base alive with 1 barracks, but in the end when you all incidentally die your barracks ends up being undefended for a loooooong time

how this prevents moments of dullness due to waiting for revive:

if at some point respawning takes ages, you still have a revive engineer, and if you dont then you can wait to spawn, i am against making it last longer then a minute in extreme values (think that long respawn times also give the counter to refill, and so shortening your respawn time

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  2. --{[TheÁstroÁr¢hítect]}--

--{[TheÁstroÁr¢hítect]}-- Banned

Waiting to respawn or waiting for a revive is boring as hell in my opinion.

And please don't make it last longer then 30 seconds because I don't think people will apreciate that.

3. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

a minute? fuck, i would ragespec at 20 seconds.

4. --{[TheÁstroÁr¢hítect]}--

^ this.

5. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

How about this for a simple fix?

Instead of tickets, have this little horizontal meter at the top of the screen, red on one side, blue on the other.

Every time someone spawns, the meter moves a bit towards the other team's color.

The further it is towards your color, the faster you respawn, and the more slowly the other team respawns.

NOT AN ENTIRE MINUTE TO RESPAWN, though. Geez, too long.

What do you people think would be the appropriate values for the extreme shortest and longest spawns? 20 seconds to 3 seconds, say?

(I would be against additional raxes letting you spawn faster. Part of the idea behind the ticket system is to give losing teams a chance by providing something that res can't help you with. A sufficient spawn-time differential could work, but not if spamming raxes let you ignore it.)

6. --{[TheÁstroÁr¢hítect]}--

I think I prefer this idea :P

7. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

This specifically punishes a team for doing well, which I also am opposed to. It won't take people long how to figure out how this mechanism works and how to exploit it.

8. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

How does it punish a team for doing well? If your team isn't dying much, and the other team is dying and respawning a lot, their respawn time will go up and yours will go down.

9. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

There would be a lot more raxes. Like 3 north of S-bend instead of one, so you get a separate 60 points in each one and by proxy virtually unlimited quick tickets. 3 not enough? 6 then. Maybe a few more back closer to the ref.

400 res isn't very much expense to spawn faster than the enemy in an otherwise even battle. Then it turns in to who has more physical space to place raxes, and that will cause major balance issues with maps.

10. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Remove tickets anyway. More raxes you have, the longer the respawn time.

11. Empty

Empty Member

So I have to either wait 20 seconds to spawn at the forward rax, or wait 2 seconds to spawn at main and then walk the whole way/take a jeep

12. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

its just an idea guys, modify/build on it/come with your own as you please

also in respect the minute would be when you die and want to spawn at a barracks with 0 "points" and end up having that barracks on 0 "points" for your entire waiting time (= theoretical possibility, in practise impossible)

13. Empty

Empty Member

Well it doesn't exactly promote pushing forward, it promotes barracks spam.

I say do respawns in waves, like TF2 or DoD, every 20 seconds everyone who is dead respawns.

14. OuNin

OuNin Member

This should be implemented after tickets run out for a team. With wave spawning.