remove the RPG and replace in with a real weapon

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Mr.Bungles, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Mr.Bungles

Mr.Bungles Member

right, currently the rpg is near enough useless. sure enough people use it to rocket snipe buildings, and snipe bridges on isle, but what im suggesting is better (i hope)

i was sitting in spectator with napalm and it all of a sudden hit me. replace the rpg with a javelin launcher. before any nubs say (wut is javelin) here is a link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FGM-148_Javelin. I think it should have atleast 4 rockets when used with ammo upgrade(maximum) and it should nearly be an instant kill on any vehicle it hits. It shoulda require the same style of movement as a mortar (crouch to aim) but should also take a few seconds to "arm" it, and it would be guided to such an extent that it blows up about 2-4 grid squares away from you. It should also take some time to reload as to balance it, and it should be heavy-ish.

2. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

That's overpowered and doesn't actually make any sense.

The RPGs rape any lt or AFV at the start and later, with RPG-upgrade, they also do that with heavies if used in groups.

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

What's the point in fielding tanks if a grenadier can kill any of them in one shot?

And of course the RPG is useless against heavy tanks, it's free, heavy tanks are expensive, if you want to kill something expensive you need something of your own that costs that much, like an improved RPG, or a lot of grenadiers.

4. communism

communism poof

Sorry but I totally support this idea 110%
    Nothing like killing heavys with a javalin mortar combo right? eh eh!?

OH OH I so almost double posted for this

CV ownage anyone?
    Oh and almost triple posted for this too
    How about the cv get defense lazers to kill the javelins so only mortar will work!!? eh eh!?

5. Mr.Bungles

Mr.Bungles Member

well then maybe not an instant kill but you get what im saying, it should be very damaging.

6. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

But why? What you're saying basically amounts to "replace the RPG with another, similar weapon that will require lots of modelling and work but behave exactly the same. Oh, but massively increase its damage."

If you just want the RPG's damage increased, say so. I don't think it's a good idea, though -- the RPG does perfectly fine damage with the upgrades right now. The problem is that most players can't seem to hit with it at long range, and you tend to die if you close to close range.

Most players just don't seem to be very good at using the RPG's guided effect. Sure, you can say 'lol, players should be more skilled', but, well, it's a team vs. game, and if most people are no good with the RPG, that makes the game as a whole less fun for everyone, because it keeps what's supposed to be an important part of the game mechanics from working right.

I believe homing missiles are intended to come in with aircraft... hopefully they will work well on tanks, too. Homing anti-tank missiles that work like the homing missiles for tanks do now would be very good grenadier weapons.

(In fact, the existing homing mechanic is almost better for grenadiers. Tanks will usually lose one-on-one throw-down fight if they take the time to lock their missiles, whereas a grenadier can hide and lock from cover... and if the enemy tank runs away when they hear the sound of your weapon starting to lock, that's basically a win for the grenadier anyway.)

7. Mr.Bungles

Mr.Bungles Member

but how often does upgraded rpg get researched? never, cause everyone rushes rail heavys and nuke tanks. thats why im saying, ditch upgraded rpg research, and just make the rpg better.

8. Empty

Empty Member

I agree with aqullion.

9. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

The problem with that is that then grens would completely obliterate early-game lights, APCs, and (whoops!) the command vehicle. Any weapon capable of seriously threatening a reflective/composite heavy is going to be absurdly overpowered against a paper/regen/reactive APC/light, or against the CV.

10. Zealoth

Zealoth Member

bugles is right, when the tanks will get killed with one shot/2, max 3 shots it will suddenly become obvious that tanks need infantry support. In real life there are no tank which can survive direct hit of AT weapon. Thats the main problem with empires/battlefield/other games with uber tanks: u meet bunch of infantry and rape them. Buffing rpg would make infantry really needed even when heavies are rolling

11. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

I think upgraded RPG should come automatically with other research instead of having to sacrifice researching tank stuff to get it. It would be cool to get homing RPGs when you research homing missiles, for example. It would also be cool to get RPG salvos :)

12. Empty

Empty Member

Wow, you're really dumb.

Handheld AT weapons tend to be less effective against tanks than say, the normal 8 inch AT cannon.

Seriously. What's wrong with you.

Anyway, if a tank [investment, 1000res upwards] is owned by a gren [0 res] that's not fair unless the tank was fucking around, ran over 8 mines, or was AFK. Balance wise, large investments have to be useful. Otherwise large investments stop getting made. And then you end up with empires played 100% on foot.

Not fun.

Again, handheld AT weapons are like throwing pebbles at most tanks. Do oyur research.

13. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Whatever you say about the other vehicles, there's absolutely no way that grens can do the kind of damage to the CV that you're talking about here. Realism doesn't matter; it would break the game completely, reducing everything to a race to rocket-snipe the enemy CV.

14. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Ambush! No wait, we already lost the fight :/
    -Initial reaction of a dead soldier part of a vehicle convoy ambushed by grenadiers.

15. Mr.Bungles

Mr.Bungles Member

but your NOT getting the point here. the rpg SUCKS at the current time. Im suggesting making it more damaging (not refering to my first post about the instant kill thing.) for instance, the mortar is more effective that the rpg, even tho the mortar isnt meant to be anti vehicle.

16. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

I don't have any problems with the RPG and the RPG is also better against moving targets. It fires faster I think and the rocket/grenade/whatever travels faster than a mortar-shell. It seems that you aren't using the RPG correctly.

17. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

The RPG is ample good right now; wouldn't mind a faster reload and more ammo for it though...

One thing; I think is that the RPG upgrade doesn't scale all that well, it's more of a gimmik, I wouldn't mind if the final upgrade increased the damage to 200 but be expensive (Alot more expensive than any tank ressearch except the nuke, as the team will then spawn in for free with good weapons) and lengthy in ressearch time.

The idea of the RPG upgrade was that currently there is only "One Way to Win", what the RPG upgrade was a start of, is an alternate "Infantry" path; where you focus on infantry instead of tank...

18. Mr.Bungles

Mr.Bungles Member

i dont mean to be rude but, I like ponies. you havnt even bothered to read what ive said, have you? i didnt say anything about changing the firing speed, im talking about DAMAGE

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2008
  19. Empty

Empty Member

I believe solokiller said somewhere RPGs are getting a damage and reload buff in 2.2. So this thread really means shit all. [unless I'm mistaken]

20. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I said no such thing, you must be talking about somebody else.