Remove the engineer built mg

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Wilson, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Wilson

Wilson Member

What the title says. Atm engineers are way to pwerful at multi tasking, and the fact that they can drop a mg turret anywhere effectively keeping any choke point makes riflemen obsolete in many situations.

Removing the engineer mg turret would cause the engineer to rely on riflemen to defend them while they're constructing stuff, and it wouldn't be optional to have everyone spawn as engineers at the start of the game, as you would get crushed by enemy riflemen/scouts.
    Engineers would be alot less independent which would encourage teamwork, which is what empires is all about.

2. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

I really don't agree there.
    It would only hurt him. In 2.2 all weapons are balanced and the engineer will have a bigger trouble killing people.

Remember, turrets are mostly for defense.
    It's nothing you build in close combat..

3. Wilson

Wilson Member

If i play as a rifleman and meet a enemy engineer in 8/10 cases he will immediately contruct a mg turret to defend himself. If i try to rush him i leave myself open for his smg, so i dont have much choice but giving up and chosing another path.

Ofc it would make the engineer less powerful, which might be defindes as "hurting" him, but it would also let riflemen play a bigger role.

4. LordDz

But there you got it!
    TEAMWORK!

Get an engineer with you.
    Place ammo box.
    Throw grenades.
    Your grenades will force him out of cover.

5. Wilson

Wilson Member

So i would need to lay sieg to a single engineer because he have placed a single structure at a vital chokepoint?
    Ofc i can team up with a grenadier to destroy the turret, but the whole point with this tread is that engineers are to powerful and independent in a game that is all about teamwork.
    engineer + mg turret > other classes
    I want to change that because of reasons that i have already mentioned.

6. Cad

Cad Member

omfg... really...

"I get pwnd by engies turrets and don't know how to kill him... we have to remove the turretz"

Here's a tip, take 5 nades(10 with ammo upg) each time u spawn...
    And u know what... throw them... a little bit behind the turret so the engie gets killed or has to abandon his position... :headshot:

7. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

You do know that the BEAR/NFAR are better than the smg? I can usually kill an engineer building a turret with either. Though, generally I just through a couple of grenades and keep moving.

8. LordDz

This thread is beginning to look like WoW...

And vital chokepoint? WTF is your team doing if they are NOT with you at that vital chokepoint?

And yes, like Scardybob says, use grenades.

Cause, if you're going ALONE. Why the hell are you even suggesting something that has to do with.... TEAMWORK. ;)

9. Notorious

Notorious Member

I agree only with the part about removing the turret drop capability.

And everyones already said what needs to be said about throwing grenades a little behind the turret + rushing the guy as a rifleman....rifle > smg....I guess you just need to pay attention to when the engy stops building and moves out to shoot at you

Plus the grenades will destroy or delay the turret completion

Most of my engy+turret encounters usually involve me jumping on top of the turret and shooting the guy in the face.

Your problem might be that you shoot at the turret and expect to hit the engy, which is retarded after the first try.

If I'm engy, I'll drop the turret if people are shooting at me, cause the registration box is so big that it will block all the shots, but still let me see if anyone is rushing me. (This brings up glitchs where people have shot me, usually in the head, through my turret, which is incomprehensively aggravating to no end).

If the MG/ML turret drop for Engineer is removed, they can still drop walls to hide behind. Which I'm ok with. (up until the wall glitch, which allows the wall placer to shoot through the top of the wall even though barely the top of his head is visible, and all of your shots to try to hit him in the head are usually absorbed by the wall's registration)

Hell, I've had engineers hide behind ammo boxes...

With turrets removed from Engineers, you could replace the turret upgrade with something interesting...like a calculator energy regeneration increase(twice as fast)...or a calculator maximum energy increase(100-150).

P.S. Other thread about a third faction.... yea thanks Scardybob for linking that, I had read that sticky, but I guess I totally spaced it, and when I did a search, it didn't bring it up at all so i figured it was ok. And thanks to whoever locked it, although I wish I had gotten in a conclusive reply before you locked it. And I noticed the sniper rifle footnote as well, I guess theres a lot of people out there who haven't read that sticky then.

10. communism

communism poof

When he drops his turret sprint towards him while throwing your two nades, switch to your rifle and by the time you get to him his turret wont be up. Finish him off and proceed to go die since you get owned by lvl 1 mg's

11. Empty

Empty Member

Most engies are stupid.
    They drop a turret and crouch.
    Crouch, ironsight, shoot their head.

That's what I do, hasn't failed me yet.

12. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

What he already said, also, in 2.2 I don't think there's a big-ass box of cover where the turret is being built like in 2.12 - it doesn't act like a mini-wall, you can actually target the dudes building behind it, which should help you...a lot.

13. Empty

Empty Member

Have they updated the hitbox? I don't remember downloading it.

14. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I have no idea. I think it might be the way the turret is handled in the orange box? No idea, I just know that I can't use the thing as a shield as effectively anymore :p

15. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

The hitbox isn't as big as you think. When crouched, you can still get hit in the head.

16. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

^thats why you prone.

i think that building a turret is touch over powered but engies should be just a little more powerful than the other classes. not in all situations and not to the point where there is no point in going any other class but enough to make sure that 2/3 - 3/4 of your team wants to play as them.

17. Empty

Empty Member

That's what I said like 4 posts ago foxy :P

If an engineer goes prone, he probably can't see you, rush forward and shoot him while he's down, if he gets the turret up, keep running and take him out. An MG turret without a repairman isn't going to last long.

18. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Basically. I think engineers shouldn't be better than the other classes at their specialty (and I don't think that they're better than riflemen; it's just that there isn't so much call for anti-infantry capability), and that all the other classes should have a unique specialty that keeps them useful in many situations, but it's important for the engineer to always be useful -- nobody should ever feel that they have to be an engineer even though they don't want to, for the good of the team. (Or at least, we should try and minimize that.)

This implies that engineers are always going to be fairly powerful and versatile, although of course not unbalancingly so. Perfect balance between the classes, while a good thing, is not as strictly necessary as several other things, and if there is going to be any imbalance, it should clearly favor the engineer, because if the engineer isn't always fun to play then a lot of people are going to be unhappy.

19. Empty

Empty Member

If we make tanks less spammable, you'll get more focus on infantry combat, district is good without turrets, let's make that goodness happen without a lack of tanks!

20. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

Hey Empty, KISS.
    Keep
    It
    Simple
    Stupid.
    Just trying to help those who don't read posts longer then 20 words. :P (That, and I swear there wasn't a 2nd page of posts when I posted.)