Relinquish squad leader

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Opie, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

Just let anyone become a squad leader, if there are none in the squad. Allow them to resign too, but remain in the squad.

2. MomoZMonster

MomoZMonster Member

Hahaha! So true!
    People just gotta stick out their chachos and talk it up a bit. Its like..omg.. you almost gotta be ABIT more like headshot master.

Opie, you need to always have your own squad man! Your definitely one of field generals in the community.
    + I think I know what your looking to solve and thats the noob squad leader wont switch to engi and mass revive or some other useful class and use the needed sqaud ability. It is a pure debachal when at near end to a map people are jumping in and out of squads to get revived. This totally breaks down the atmosphere and realism of having sqauds.

I see your point. This is something the Emp vets need to implement in the field aka the server, need to bump up the importance of being squad leader. Kinda like how getting the first med tank in a much heated battle when resources are tight. Not just anyone should get that tank so not just anyone should be squad leader in a sqaud with doobie, opie, and jcw. A noobs in alpha? Screw it form your own with any of the other 24 ( is there a Q squad? :D )
    So instead of forming 2 skill rich squads form 4-5 with a few emp_recruits (try to be politically correct I guess :D ) in all the sqauds. And be a bit more selective as to who you invite. Like that game Canon Fodder? any one ever play it? You never use all of your vets in the same group. You put in some nubs for the fodder.
    If the emp vets do it enough it will become etched in as the "golden rules" and so i don't think anything needs to be coded in.

Except:D
    Put up with the commander voting menu, something about time to form squads and a hint to choosing the squad leader wisely kinda thing, maybe need more time b4 spawn (unless thered be a way to null combat but still spawn and start base building) cause then people could visually see the squads actually forming together.

I've always thought it'd be cool to have like 5mins of base building / strat forming b4 any real combat begins but I bet thats impossible to do.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  3. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

It would be so incredibly awesome if squads could only be formed by the officer class...but as I found at recently it takes about 60 points to get to lieutenant and by that time all I could think about was rev, duck, shoot, squad rev.

It might be the craziest thing but, if we were to allow the ones who rank up first (to whatever value either 3 or 5 or 10) to form squads it probably would promote more teamwork. However...it kinda defeats the purpose of the free-skill factor, which is an issue. OR another wacky suggestion is to promote the first person to rank one to squad leader (if they okay it - probably a yes/no box)...but once again with wacky ideas this also has some problems (or doesn't really solve the "you're not who we need as SL at the moment" problem).

I'll just quietly reiterate my old crazy idea of squads being formed with the people around you as they enter your general area , where they immediately get the free skill and squad aura, but lose it if they leave the SL (if you lock the squad though you stay in the squad). In this suggestion the squad leaders choose a squad to host to begin with/or a few squad leaders are voted in at the beginning (or at least I can't think of a better way) :( :confused: .

I just wanted to chuck these ideas in while we're thinking about squads in general, they're not good (the suggestions I mean), but in fish the pirates (rather silly) example, a relinquish button would just put another daft emp recruit as SL, and not probably who he wanted. While a voting system might be wiser because really, why would you be playing with 4 noobs?

A squad is formed to take objectives, you cant do that with 1 vet and 4 noobs, you need a balanced squad with one or two emp_recruits maybe, but not four! And certainly it's pointless to make a squad with people who will be unable to demonstrate teamwork because they are still learning the ropes (and also it'd be pointless because you would know what to do and they would just be following you - and wouldn't know what to do if you died.)/Ramble

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  4. rat

rat Member

you didnt tell him to press f2!

Seriously though, I was thinking about this the other day when I bashed a squad leader for not using squad points until we had already lost. I'm sorry for whatever I called him, it's just frustrating to have a newb as a squad leader when usage of squad points is such a game determining factor (especially in conquest mode). So my suggestion is not initial squad leader voting (it doesn't even really matter who is squad leader until the squad has some points) but to give the highest ranking squad member the option to be promoted to squad leader after a set interval of time or points. If he declines, the next highest ranking member has the option. And if the squad leader leaves, the highest ranking squad member should become leader (if that's not already how it is).

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007