Relinquish squad leader

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Opie, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Opie

Opie Member

Basically, I've noticed in games, when squads want a new leader and the current squad leader has to leave the squad and come back to relinquish his leadership. This is particularly difficult when squads want a member at the bottom of the squad order to be squad member. All other 4 members must leave the squad before he can be leader. If only the squad leader leaves and then come back, then the second leader leaves, the first squad leader is leader again. Wow, that explanation was confusing... So two things:
    1.) How is the squad order ordered? By when you joined the squad?
    2.) Can some sort of relinquish squad leader button be added so that the current squad leader drops to the bottom of the squad order, so people don't have to quit squads and rejoin to get a new leader.

2. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

1. i'm confused too
    2. agree

3. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

People need to stop joining the first couple of squads just because someone created it and invited you. It seems like emp_recruits know more about creating a squad and inviting others than they do about getting ammos.

4. Razorbud

Razorbud Coder

Can always get everyone to switch to a new empty squad, with the chosen leader first to switch

5. Opie

Opie Member

Yes, but then all accumulated squad points are gone.

6. Razorbud

Razorbud Coder

True, didnt think of that :o

7. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

usally i create my own since i love the arty power.. but by then all the lemmings have filled up the A and B squads

maybe near the leave squad button in the C menu there could also be a resign as SL button

8. Nitrax

Nitrax Member

Or give some sort of 'vote squad leader' in the same way as you have vote commander.

Though on second thoughts, that might become to complicated, I think there are already enough menu screens to wade through.

9. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

This is Empires! There are never enough menu screens! :p

10. duke

duke Former Developer (BE Creator)

Add a command emp_makeleader (name). Done.

11. the_6th_monkey

the_6th_monkey Member

meh tbh you are pretty much forced to join a squad fast at the start of the game without really caring whos in the squad if you want to be able to build at resonable speed, since its the only way to get a quick build skill in the early times in games and if you wait to long you miss out on the early building ;)

12. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Grr! I'm not a lemming! It seems that you would need a "vote squad leader" function, because half the time you want to designate someone to be SL not just move the next guy up...right?

13. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

everyone just joins squads A or B right at the start because of the free skill. makes me want to bump the "free skill" debate

14. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

It makes me want to bump the "Make another player SL" button discussion, where I proposed the exact same thing, and more importantly, a lot of people agreed that it would be useful.
    Krenzo, do you mean we wouldn't need the button if people started playing together as a squad better? Does that mean you disapprove of the idea? Or is this remark unrelated to Opie's proposition?
    Because while I agree that people aren't fully using the squads' teamwork potential (like staying together, for starters), I think that this "Relinquish" button could also come in handy for squads that already work together and stay together.
    It is a tactical advantage to be able to use more than one classes' SL abilities. For example, you often have to shift to an SL with Squad Revive, even in a squad that's working together perfectly.

I'm a strong proponent of this idea. It might not discourage "free skill only" squads, but it would be a useful tool for tactical squad-level gameplay.

EDIT:
    Oh yeah, one more thing: to quote myself:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  15. Opie

Opie Member

Sorry JMS, did not see your post. Totally hijacked your idea. My apologies.

I don't want another vote system, Just another way to transfer leadership of a squad. Voting is too much.

I was in a game the other day which was well organized, alpha went east bravo south (delta joined later). Squads worked together perfectly and would probably have been an ideal example of what krenzo wants with squads. As I recommended before, make the class specific skills work only around the squad leader and tada, people will keep squads together.

Right now at the beginning we are rushing to get to advantagous points on the map that we can't organize, or we lose choke points etc. Maybe after selecting a comm, a 30 second period where the comm can tell people what to do and where to go?

But I think something should be done to easily transfer squad leadership.

16. Valiant

Valiant Member

What about the voting period? I always use that do assign peoples to do stuff.
    But then again, i usually wind up as comm weather i want to or not, so i pretty much assume things. :p

17. Opie

Opie Member

But we aren't absolutely sure who will be comm. Usually yes we do. But during these 30 seconds the comm could be in the car and decide which squad goes where and have his thoughts compiled. I don't know about others, but I am often times caught off guard when I'm elected comm, so I just drive and figure things out.

18. Valiant

Valiant Member

Maybe have a vote at the begining weither or not for a 30 second pause after the comm is selected? But we're kinda waaaay off topic :p

19. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I don't want another vote system, however, if you can't choose who's going to be squad leader after the first person relinquishes it, you could be in a worse situation. You just need to think of a way around that.

20. FishThePirate

FishThePirate Member

I can see the voting idea going over real well:

(Squad Leader) Fish The Pirate: Ok, everyone in my squad vote for emp_recruit.
    emp_recruit(2): For me? lol
    (Squad Leader) Fish The Pirate: No, not you, the original emp_recruit.
    emp_recruit: So I should votez for emp_recruit(2)?
    emp_recruit(4): TAKE COVAAAAARRR
    (Squad Leader) Fish The Pirate: No, you, we're voting for you.

*1 vote cast for emp_recruit(2), 2 more votes needed*

(Squad Leader) Fish The Pirate: NOT emp_recruit(2)!

*1 vote is cast for Fish The Pirate, 2 more votes needed*

(Squad Leader) Fish The Pirate: I'm already squad leader!
    emp_recruit(2): Then why are we voting? lol, you noob
    emp_recruit: I can't vote, it's just showing my weapons and stuff.
    (Squad Leader) Fish The Pirate: That's your loadout menu, you need to go to the squad menu.
    *emp_recruit has left the squad*
    emp_recruit(4): TAKE COVAAAAARRR
    emp_recruit(3): Can haz ammoz?
    (Squad Leader) Fish The Pirate: emp_recruit(3), get in the apc and you can get ammo there.

*emp_recruit(3) gets in CV, drives off cliff and Fish gets shot in the face by a scout*

+|JPL|+Haschtewas: lol, noobs

And nobody wants that, do they? Democracy isn't always the best. Why not just give the squad leader the ability to choose a different squad leader?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007